Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part XVIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
As an aside, whoever suggested Sam Bennett is completely spot on. If he's better Brandon Prust, guess what? This roster and this coach is screaming and dying for a better Brandon Prust. Just because he's not scoring doesn't mean he doesn't a lot have what the roster needs.

You can be a perfectly valuable middle-sixer and score 25 points. You just have to bring other stuff.

I 100% disagree with the idea that you can be considered a good 3rd liner scoring under 30 points.

Reactions: UnSandvich

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I feel like Boston would try to give a Hall-esque return (no Vaakanainen, no Studnicka, no on their last 1st rounder out of general principle) and if they're offering the pu-pu platter their system is pretty bare as far as I can tell.

Zboril can't crack the NHL roster in his 3rd AHL year, Senyshyn is underwhelming to say the least, JFK went overseas (!), Trent Frederic has a Lias-esque 0 points in 17 NHL games. I don't see it.

I think Frederic would definitely come up in conversation. I could also see Lauko coming up as well.

Reactions: NYR Viper

Fireonk

Jan 10, 2006
I 100% disagree with the idea that you can be considered a good 3rd liner scoring under 30 points.

I would disagree with your disagreement. If a player doesn't get any power play time but is a positive player overall at even strength and shorthanded that would make for a good 3rd liner.

B17 Apricots

May 18, 2016
Going to Buffalo something around Tage Thompson and a first for Kreider is another one I'd be comfortable with

Reactions: Trxjw

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
I think with guys like Jost, Bennett, and Frederic the key is their usefulness moreso than their pure upside. Guys that can play up and down the lineup are extremely valuable in this league. Especially if they can bring a different dynamic when linked up with a couple of high-skill players. So while Lemieux might be a 15/35 player who spends most of the season on the third line, he's also potentially the kind of player who moves up next to Zibanejad and Kakko for a 3 game stretch to change things up.

Reactions: B17 Apricots

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
The pu-pu platter of vanilla prospects is the thing I would want to see the Rangers avoid, I just don't see the value in it.

Vanilla is subjective, for me it's mostly if the player is not dynamic in some regard or unique.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
Eh, I think it's entirely possible that Bennett could end up being a Bonino type.

Bonino has a 49 point career high, which was his only season over 40 points. Then he has 3 years in the 30s and 3 years in the 20s.

Very effective 3rd liner. I think it's entirely possible that Bennett could become a 35-40 point 3rd liner.

Reactions: leetch99

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Eh, I think it's entirely possible that Bennett could end up being a Bonino type.

Bonino has a 49 point career high, which was his only season over 40 points. Then he has 3 years in the 30s and 3 years in the 20s.

Very effective 3rd liner. I think it's entirely possible that Bennett could become a 35-40 point 3rd liner.

100%

And he brings the boom.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC

It's possible, though my perception of Bennett is that he's an average skater (could be wrong)... Bonino is a great skater.

It's not clear to me which 3 seasons in the 20s you're talking about. Since he established himself in the NHL in 11-12, he's had two seasons where he projected under 30 points (29.5 and 28.8).

Look, I'm not saying Bennett can't take another step forward. I'm just saying that people talk about him as if he's already a 3rd liner and I don't agree with that.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
It's possible, though my perception of Bennett is that he's an average skater (could be wrong)... Bonino is a great skater.

It's not clear to me which 3 seasons in the 20s you're talking about. Since he established himself in the NHL in 11-12, he's had two seasons where he projected under 30 points (29.5 and 28.8).

Look, I'm not saying Bennett can't take another step forward. I'm just saying that people talk about him as if he's already a 3rd liner and I don't agree with that.

I would probably say that Bennett more or less is a third line player, but has a chance to be a better third liner --- maybe even a very good third liner.

Reactions: leetch99

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I’d LOVE Bennett if he was really available. What @Edge is saying about a 3rd line built around Lemieux and Bennett would be a very nasty line to play against.

Frederic is one of those guys whose stats don’t stand out but he plays what would be a unique style in this organization.

As an aside, the guy who I’d like to see on the other side would be a guy like Andersson who, to me, should always have projected to wing.

Reactions: egelband

B17 Apricots

May 18, 2016
And I think it would be wise to acquire these types of players for the time being so we can develop our own Boninos, Killorns and Shaws. Target guys like Thompson, Barbashev, Fischer... Etc. We have so many guys that may be moved in the future that we can fill out the rest of the roster and than target the higher end guys with ADA, Buch, Skjei, etc.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I’d LOVE Bennett if he was really available. What @Edge is saying about a 3rd line built around Lemieux and Bennett would be a very nasty line to play against.

Frederic is one of those guys whose stats don’t stand out but he plays what would be a unique style in this organization.

And for the record, I don't know about Bennett being available --- I'm just intrigued by the concept. I can try to find out though.

With regards to some of what the Rangers might be looking at, I think we should somewhat get used to the idea that what the Rangers are eyeing might not necessarily be the sexiest options, or ones that universally make us say, "Wow, that's pretty exciting."

Again, I think there is some higher-end stuff they're looking into. But I also think they're not happy with the depth they have right now --- or at least the "mix" they have right now.

Ideally you want skill mixed with a north-south style of play. But you could also be looking at guys where the line combination strives for the potential as well. As part of that approach, you might start to see this team explore deals where the skill they get back isn't necessarily on par with the skill the board feels we gave up --- maybe an Amonte for Matteau/Noonan style move.

I just want to put that out there as a distinct possibility for people to consider. Because I don't think it's quite what some fans might be expecting at this point.

NernieBichols

Aug 8, 2011
We have a very different perception of things then . There are more bottom pairing defensemen than you can shake a stick at. Goalies are largely a function of the team in front of them and the bottom 70% of them are fungible IMO. This place has been crazy, crazy spoiled to have Lundqvist for 15 years.

Scoring is up because the league is in a transition period of figuring out how skating and skill (see that Svech goal??!?!) juxtaposes with defense systems and personnel (Clod Julien still exists), and the scoring part is ahead right now.
Yes we have a very different perception of things then

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
One nice thing about having so many good prospects is that at some point we may be able to make that trade where we swing for the fences and bring in a game changer

Still a few years from this. Need those big cap charges to clear before we could bring in that type of a player. Some cap increases and freeing up space, we could be primed to take on a player with 2-3 years left on a deal for a team that is going in another direction or for an disgruntled player trying to force their way out.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Any interest in Galchenyuk? What's going on with the kid? He's scored 30.. put up 50 twice.. He'll be 26 early 2020.. Only getting 12 minutes of icetime in Pitt.

Can fill/replace Kreiders spot. Is he a problem in the locker room? Depending on his new contract he could be a great value/bargain

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I think Lemieux has some more room to grow. Wouldn't even rule out finding his way onto a top 6 role one day. Gritty power forwards are a pain in the ass for opposing teams. Wilson, Tkachuk's, etc.

For #20
I think I'm the only guy here that wants to keep him.

If he is moved, I think there will be a pretty decent market bidding for him at the deadline.

Colorado has been mentioned for 2 seasons now as a possible destination. If I was a GM sitting on that roster I would love the idea of #20 in the mix. Would be tough for clubs to handle him and MacKinnon. Speed and size up front.

I'm watching the NHL Network now. They talked Kreider. They also think that Montreal is the destination. Would be interesting to see Domi and Kreider together.

Personally, I think Edmonton is the best fit. Might be the best 1,2 combo down the middle of any team in the league. But after that there's players like Kassian in the top 6. Kreider in that mix would be really interesting. Edm doesn't have space this year, however they have like 12 UFA's coming off next year. They have depth that will like move up into the roster on the cheap. Bouchard on D. Yamamoto as a forward. I could see them as club that could trade for him and redo the contract for 2020.

It wouldn't necessarily hurt my feelings if we hung on to Kreider but he'd have to accept a contract favorable to the team. I really wouldn't want to do more than 4 years and relatively for what he's making now. Somewhere around 4 years--$5 mil per and with no trade restrictions. I don't think that's in the cards.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Any interest in Galchenyuk? What's going on with the kid? He's scored 30.. put up 50 twice.. He'll be 26 early 2020.. Only getting 12 minutes of icetime in Pitt.

Can fill/replace Kreiders spot. Is he a problem in the locker room? Depending on his new contract he could be a great value/bargain

I really don't like Galchenyuk very much and he's had multiple chances. He's like this generation's Alexandre Daigle. I'd pass.

Reactions: LeetchisGod

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad

As an aside, the guy who I’d like to see on the other side would be a guy like Andersson who, to me, should always have projected to wing.

Frederic is that guy but for the 4th line.

I'm not opposed to beefing up the 4th line too, but we should be looking to diversify the middle 2 lines.

Reactions: egelband

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
His career has been going in the wrong direction for awhile now. I believe there were rumors of alcohol problems in Montreal as well. I want nothing to do with the guy.
??? He's been producing somewhat consistently until being traded to Pittsburgh.

He's a middle6 winger and a weapon on the PP. He'd be a replacement for Kreider and/or Buch. Maybe Quinn could work his magic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad