Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part XVIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
If Bennett is this real value checking line player who you need and plays up and down the lineup then why is Calgary trading him for a rental?

Because Bennet hasn’t really established himself as that real value checking line player. He’s shown flashes, but that’s what you’re hoping he can progress into.

Nobody is trading anything that’s a finished product for Kreider. Period. You’re either getting an older player who you project into a role in the next year or two, or you’re getting younger players you hope you can project into a role 4 or 5 years from now.

Last edited:

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
I feel like Sam Bennett is a guy that fans don't put much value on but would be tough to pry away from Calgary. I don't see him as a guy who gets tossed into a deal along with a 1st rounder for a rental.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I'm underwhelmed by the return of Bennett. If it's a 2nd or a 3rd attached... that's not working for me.

I look at it in the context of the deal. We would eat half of Kreider's salary while taking on the full Bennett hit. And for Kreider himself, it is bribery if it's a team facing Colorado in the playoffs. Colorado destroyed Calgary with speed. I'll sell him to Colorado if you don't come with a serious offer. You'll be chasing all 4 games on your way to a sweep.

Kreider is one of the few ways you can get into the same neighborhood as Colorado's speed. I know we have to see how the market shapes up, but with Calgary's situation and cap and exit and needs.... I am looking for more than Sam Bennett and a 3rd.

Generally speaking, Bennett’s value around the league would probably be what? A late first, an early second? So that’s essentially the ballpark of the pick you’re getting if you trade Kreider for a pick.

What the value of a B prospect? A second round pick or so? Incidentally that’s typically where you find those B prospects as well.

So the value is more or less there. It’s just not an asset that you can fantasize about. There’s no day dream about cashing in on that chance of that late first somehow finding the one guy who might be a top six player in the NHL. And I think mentally, we like that possibility.

But the value probably isn’t as far off as it seems on first glance.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I feel like Sam Bennett is a guy that fans don't put much value on but would be tough to pry away from Calgary. I don't see him as a guy who gets tossed into a deal along with a 1st rounder for a rental.

Generally speaking, finding trade proposals that people on HF Boards like can be a challenge.

It often feels like the sporting equivalent of watching a show like House Hunters.

Participants want a 3,000 square foot house, with hardwood floors, a pool, an acre of property, with access to the train, good schools and restaurants, in a trendy metro area, and they want it for $150,000.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
That last part is really what all of this is about. It's not that the Rangers don't want him, so much as the terms are going to be tough to agree on.

That gets lost sometimes and it ends up feeling like he needs to be moved just for the sake of getting assets. But that's not the case.

FWIW I think the Rangers would like to keep him. I have the impression that he helps get younger players acclimated to the Rangers more than the usual. I think the Ben Prentiss offseason stuff started with Kreider too.....and I've heard that Kreider lets teammates stay at his house in the summers to train and learn about nutrition etc. etc. He's a real asset off the ice. After he retires I can absolutely see the Rangers hiring him.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Generally speaking, Bennett’s value around the league would probably be what? A late first, an early second? So that’s essentially the ballpark of the pick you’re getting if you trade Kreider for a pick.

What the value of a B prospect? A second round pick or so? Incidentally that’s typically where you find those B prospects as well.

So the value is more or less there. It’s just not an asset that you can fantasize about. There’s no day dream about cashing in on that chance of that late first somehow finding the one guy who might be a top six player in the NHL. And I think mentally, we like that possibility.

Bennett isnt good, has anyone watched him since he arrived in Calgary? He has been a huge disappointment. No thank you. I'd be happier with Dube that's for sure.

DutchShamrock

Nov 22, 2005
New Jersey

I know it comes that way, but I'm not hating on Bennett.

First, I don't see a playoff team parting with someone like him. Big body, gritty, known quantity.

Second, I'm just frankly not thrilled with trading in a speedy scorer for a low point grinder. The league is trending away from the latter towards the former. The values just aren't matching. There is no logical reason for a right d to be more valuable than a goalie or wing, but the market dictates it to be true.

In a vacuum the value you propose is fair. But it's not a vacuum. Calgary, Vegas, San Jose, St. Louis, Nashville and Dallas can get over the hump, or risk a wasted opportunity. Colorado is shaping up to be the class of the west and the team to beat. We are offering one of the most effective tools to go into a series with them. Or a way for Colorado to completely tip the scales.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Being a disappointment and being bad are two different things.

I agree.

And he’s a disappointment in Calgary because he was drafted 4th overall and has teased them with being more than he is for the better part of a half-a-decade at this point.

But I keep going back to that whole comment Gorton made about Strome - he wasn’t our high pick.

We ain’t getting Dube.

Reactions: egelband

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I know it comes that way, but I'm not hating on Bennett.

First, I don't see a playoff team parting with someone like him. Big body, gritty, known quantity.

Second, I'm just frankly not thrilled with trading in a speedy scorer for a low point grinder. The league is trending away from the latter towards the former. The values just aren't matching. There is no logical reason for a right d to be more valuable than a goalie or wing, but the market dictates it to be true.

In a vacuum the value you propose is fair. But it's not a vacuum. Calgary, Vegas, San Jose, St. Louis, Nashville and Dallas can get over the hump, or risk a wasted opportunity. Colorado is shaping up to be the class of the west and the team to beat. We are offering one of the most effective tools to go into a series with them. Or a way for Colorado to completely tip the scales.

Right now Bennett is somewhat lost in the shuffle of mid-level forwards they have. So it’s not like the Flames don’t have other options in place, or that they’re already leaning heavier on.

You’re right, Kreider has balance. But I don’t think there’s a team that’s going to deviate from first and a prospect price point. If anything, I think there are teams that are going to be looking to save the first and replace it with a piece that is further down the depth chart.

But the values will all be in the same general ballpark — whether it’s a pick at 25, 28, Jost, or Bennett. Again, I don’t know what the Rangers will value or what’s going to be on the table, but from a value standpoint, Bennett is probably in the range.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I really like Sam Bennett. Third liner....yes, but he's a gamer. He is tough. It would be like adding a more disciplined version of Lemieux.

And within this thread you can see the range of opinions.

Some like him and would like to have him.

Some don’t like him and don’t really want him.

Some are saying he isn’t very good and want more.

Others are questioning why he’d be moved if he’s as good as some believe.

This is somewhat expected as we near the TDL. People are going to like moves, dislike moves and a express a variety of opinions in between.

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
About Max Domi, I definitely thought Sam and Joe were laying it on a little thick about his dad being in the crowd the last time we played them. Maybe I just read too much into it because that's one of the guys I want.

Was pissed when the Habs got Domi. Always liked him as a player and some grit and spunk to his game.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
And within this thread you can see the range of opinions.

Some like him and would like to have him.

Some don’t like him and don’t really want him.

Some are saying he isn’t very good and want more.

Others are questioning why he’d be moved if he’s as good as some believe.

This is somewhat expected as we near the TDL. People are going to like moves, dislike moves and a express a variety of opinions in between.

To me Bennett is a great guy for a bottom 6 forward. He's a guy you want to go into the playoffs with. He's got a rounded game---he might not score a ton of points but you can't discount his offensive game either. He'll help you on the PK and he's got sandpaper in his game. Invariably the teams that make it into the final 4 their depth shows up for them. The bottom pairing D--the 4th liners. Everybody fits and fills their assigned role. Bennett has some skills but those types aren't necessarily always as skilled as some others. Being capable and willing to do grunt work is part of it.

Reactions: leetch99

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
To me Bennett is a great guy for a bottom 6 forward. He's a guy you want to go into the playoffs with. He's got a rounded game---he might not score a ton of points but you can't discount his offensive game either. He'll help you on the PK and he's got sandpaper in his game. Invariably the teams that make it into the final 4 their depth shows up for them. The bottom pairing D--the 4th liners. Everybody fits and fills their assigned role. Bennett has some skills but those types aren't necessarily always as skilled as some others. Being capable and willing to do grunt work is part of it.

He doesn't play on the PK. He's played there 17 minutes since the start of last year.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Not that it matters what I think but I don’t rate Bennett either.

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Oct 8, 2010
Bennett is JAG in my eyes. He’s passable I guess and you could convince yourself he has more upside than he does. He reminds me of Lias in many ways.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Is there some rumor on Bennett or are the last few pages devoted to a trade just suggested by a poster

Bennett is simply spitballing.

Nothing connecting him to the Rangers other than Calgary being a team that’s checked in with the Rangers and the idea that he would seem to fit what the Rangers might be looking for.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Bennett is JAG in my eyes. He’s passable I guess and you could convince yourself he has more upside than he does. He reminds me of Lias in many ways.

I’ve heard everyone from Bennett to Lundell supposedly compared to Andersson.

Come next November, I half expect people to start comparing the candidates they don’t like to Andersson as well.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Kreider at $6.5M @ 4 or 5 years. Yay or Nay?

I dont think he's getting longer than 5. Kane signed for 7 years but he was 26. Pac signed for 4. JVR for 5.

Reactions: egelband and bobbop

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Oct 8, 2010
Kreider at $6.5M @ 4 or 5 years. Yay or Nay?

I dont think he's getting longer than 5. Kane signed for 7 years but he was 26. Pac signed for 4. JVR for 5.

Depends on what the trade offers are

I think we should trade him if the return is as good as the Hayes trade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad