Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part XVII - Want some, get some

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I have a hard time seeing how we can get three lines that are better balanced than (something like) this:
Panarin-Strome-Fast
Kreider-Ziba-Kakko
Lemieux-Chytil-Buch

I think it’s odd that DQ doesn’t employ something like those lines. All shifts matter the same and there is a marginal difference between how much time each line gets 5 on 5. That top line works. The 2nd line would be good. And the 3rd line would be good.

As it is now Ziba and/or Panarin are gassed late in games.

Reactions: belford22

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
There’s been some chatter that the Red Wings are fed up with Andreas Athanasiou and are listening on offers. Hearing they are very down on his inconsistency. After 30 goals last year, he only has 5 so far this year. He’s also -33, which is really hard to do, even in a team as bad as Detroit.

I’d sure be on the phone gauging the situation. When I’ve seen him, he sure has been impressive. Skates like the wind.
Have liked AA in the past, but Im not overly enamored with the idea of adding a 25 year old with the league's worst +/- rating this season and carries basically Strome's salary pending RFA with arbitration rights. Doesn't seem like the best fit today.

Reactions: NYRangers16

nsvoyageurs

Jun 5, 2012
NS Canada
Plus Georgie stonewalled the Leafs twice last season...faced 50 + ? shots in at least one game and maybe earned a SO ? ...sorry going on memory here ....
The Leafs 2020 1st rd pick is tied up in the Marleau trade with Carolina; CAR gets it either in 2020 or 2021.

Deleted member 23124

Team needs to be thinking long and hard about how we plan to have a competent 4 lines of forwards next season. A lot of guys are struggling like Andersson Howden and Kravtsov, and the rest are very far away (Henriksson, Aaltonen, ext) The economical thing would be to trade Strome while he is being boosted by Panarin. Could we get a young roster forward like Lemieux for him?
But the question is: Does Quinn really want a viable 4th line? All signs point to no.

NoQuitInNewMexico

Jan 7, 2011
new mexico lol
I do think the forward group is kind of missing a speed element without Kreider? Quinn is basically right, when we're winning games it's not because we're faster or stronger than the other team, and that's with CK.

Reactions: belford22

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I do think the forward group is kind of missing a speed element without Kreider? Quinn is basically right, when we're winning games it's not because we're faster or stronger than the other team, and that's with CK.

Lemieux helps for sure. I don’t think they lack speed so much as a big body who plays a north south game. It would be nice to find one or two more guys like that.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
We need to start drafting more Canadians and Americans, there is such a transition between the East to West that it's hard to figure out what you have in a player because they have never played an nhl style game, in an nhl style rink with an nhl schedule. I'm still biased towards drafting CHL players over college players because of the schedule they have vs college and I still believe it's the best hockey factory of that age group but I still believe there is more value in being able to meet the kids and judge them on their ability to handle North American style hockey whether its CHL or college compared to over seas.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Pretty crazy to see Galchenyuk on the block in Pittsburgh. Really thought that would be a sweet situation for him but he just hasn't found a spot.

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
Pretty crazy to see Galchenyuk on the block in Pittsburgh. Really thought that would be a sweet situation for him but he just hasn't found a spot.
And unfortunately for Pittsburgh they'll have a hard time finding a taker for that cap hit. Maybe as a rental for pennies on the dollar.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016

It's really not, he isnt a good hockey player and he has proven it time and time again. If you can't put up points with Crosby or malkin you probably arent a NHL'er.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
I think you need more than just a "decent" fourth line.
Depends on how much you want them out on the ice. If it's for 6-8 minutes, it doesn't need to be amazing. It just needs to be enough to establish/maintain a forecheck or to pressure the puck off the carrier and get it out. Do that, and then get the Top 6 out there.

Less minutes for the 4L means more minutes for your Top 9, which is ideal, IMO.

Deleted member 23124

Depends on how much you want them out on the ice. If it's for 6-8 minutes, it doesn't need to be amazing. It just needs to be enough to establish/maintain a forecheck or to pressure the puck off the carrier and get it out. Do that, and then get the Top 6 out there.

Less minutes for the 4L means more minutes for your Top 9, which is ideal, IMO.
I'm not disagreeing with you....I still have nightmares of the many times we were knocked out of the playoffs by an opposing team's 4th line.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
I'm not disagreeing with you....I still have nightmares of the many times we were knocked out of the playoffs by an opposing team's 4th line.
Stern, but fair.

But I feel like those times are fewer and far between.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad