Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part XVII - Want some, get some

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anzi

May 16, 2019
Boston
We need to start drafting more Canadians and Americans, there is such a transition between the East to West that it's hard to figure out what you have in a player because they have never played an nhl style game, in an nhl style rink with an nhl schedule. I'm still biased towards drafting CHL players over college players because of the schedule they have vs college and I still believe it's the best hockey factory of that age group but I still believe there is more value in being able to meet the kids and judge them on their ability to handle North American style hockey whether its CHL or college compared to over seas.

There's been studies done such as Evaluating Nordic Drafting – A Potential Market Inefficiency that show that players from the Swedish and Finnish leagues tend to translate at the highest rates to the NHL.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
All I wanted were big games from Chytil and Kakko so this has been a bust for me so far.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
I don't think Georgie is, or should be untouchable, but the Rangers will need to get a premium if they deal him. I'm not talking about a 1st rounder sort of premium. I'm talking about a deal that nets them a young player who is a legitimate NHL talent today. I.e., if the Leafs were asking I would be insisting on Kapanen.

I don't really buy into the idea that the Rangers are showcasing him right now, but man he's having himself a hell of a streak.

Reactions: RGY

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
It’s a different approach with trading Geo over Talbot and Raanta.

Unless it’s an offer that’s almost too good to be true, there’s no reason to move him.

Even then, it’s tough to move him until we see Shesty have sustained success in the NHL.(Which I have little doubt he will, but you never know).

Last edited:

Kaapo di tutti capi

Jan 13, 2012
Nashville, TN.
It’s a different approach with trading Geo over Talbot and Raanta.

Unless it’s an offer that’s almost too good to be true, there’s no reason to move him.

Even then, it’s tough to move him until we see Shesty have sustained success in the NHL.(Which I have little doubt he won’t, but you never know).

We have the luxury (I can't believe I'm typing this) of having Brendan Smith on the team who can play F and D. Why can't we run with 3 goalies next season and one less spare forward? Is having a slot open for the likes of Michael Haley really something we can't live without for a season?

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
We have the luxury (I can't believe I'm typing this) of having Brendan Smith on the team who can play F and D. Why can't we run with 3 goalies next season and one less spare forward? Is having a slot open for the likes of Michael Haley really something we can't live without for a season?

We could, but running 3 goalies isn’t going to help Geo and Shesty get the regular playing time they need to develop their games.

Both young goalies need as much game time as possible and it’ll be tough balancing things with 3 goalies.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
I think you have to step back and realize that management sees things differently than fans. The Rangers are 4 points out of a playoff spot with a game in hand. Yes, they are still mindful they are rebuilding and they will not be loading up for a playoff run or managing situations (e.g. Kreider) inappropriately. But they will not be moving key pieces unless a great hockey trade comes along. Kapanen (for example) for Georgiev is not a great hockey trade.

Reactions: leetch99 and RGY

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Kapanen (for example) for Georgiev is not a great hockey trade.
If you can get a kid like Kapanen for Geo - you think long and hard about it.

I don’t make this trade until I know what Shesty can do, but Kapanen is a good young player with terrific pedigree.

Reactions: doomscroll

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
If you can get a kid like Kapanen for Geo - you think long and hard about it.

I don’t make this trade until I know what Shesty can do, but Kapanen is a good young player with terrific pedigree.
Kapanen is a good player but I’m in no hurry to trade The Czar for a good player. There’s no pressure to make a deal right now. Most likely an offseason trade. If his performance holds steady or improves, I would want a really good player or a top half of the first round draft choice,

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I have a hard time seeing how we can get three lines that are better balanced than (something like) this:
Panarin-Strome-Fast
Kreider-Ziba-Kakko
Lemieux-Chytil-Buch

I think it’s odd that DQ doesn’t employ something like those lines. All shifts matter the same and there is a marginal difference between how much time each line gets 5 on 5. That top line works. The 2nd line would be good. And the 3rd line would be good.

As it is now Ziba and/or Panarin are gassed late in games.

I really think Kakko is still unable to keep up with the top liner players on the Rangers nor play against the speed and the skill of the opponents’ top lines. Nothing is wrong with it. He needs to be protected depth-wise and partner-wise. I’d keep Kakko on the 3rd line and with Fast and Strome. So something like

Kreider Zibanejad Buchnevich
Panarin Chytil Lemieux
Fast Strome Kakko

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Kapanen is a good player but I’m in no hurry to trade The Czar for a good player. There’s no pressure to make a deal right now. Most likely an offseason trade. If his performance holds steady or improves, I would want a really good player or a top half of the first round draft choice,

As I said in my post, I’m not in disagreement here. Kapanen is not the player I move Geo for right now.

If Shesty comes here and proves he’s our longterm G, then a player like Kapanen would be very good value for Geo.

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
I think its important to remember in a time like this that both Talbot and Raanta seemed like sure shot starters when we traded them but neither have been particularly excellent since leaving the Rangers. I'm not saying give Georgiev away. I'm not even saying trade him to the highest bidder. But there is something to say about dealing from a position of strength to address a position of weaknesss.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad