Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part XVII - Want some, get some

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
The challenge is threefold

First- we haven't seen Shesty at the NHL level yet, and so we don't know what we have for sure.
Second- Since we haven't had Shesty at the NHL level, his trade value is lower than Georgy and if we assume he'd be as good (Or better) (A strong assumption) we get a better bang for the buck trading Georgy.
Third- The expansion draft protection complicates things.

They're effectively the same age, and the organization in my opinion can only hold one of them long term. I don't envy Rangers management when they have to make a hard decision on this.

My stance has been to trade Georgiev because of the potential return, and because we have backup options if Shesty stuggles.

But yea, on Strome? This is the best possible moment to trade him. I like him a lot, but he's going to get an inflated contract that he doesn't deserve. Chicago made the right moves to travel on from players who were going to get more from other teams.

He plays big minutes, does Strome, but it is nothing that can't be replaced if we develop Chytil correctly.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Has anyone checked on Mats? I''m worried about him.

I love when posters cowardly take a shot at other posters without quoting them or tagging them.

Be a man and just @ me if you want to post your sarcastic BS.

To everyone else who responded to my post about Zucc not appearing thrilled to be where he is, that was the whole point, to generate discussion.

Moving on.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
I think its important to remember in a time like this that both Talbot and Raanta seemed like sure shot starters when we traded them but neither have been particularly excellent since leaving the Rangers. I'm not saying give Georgiev away. I'm not even saying trade him to the highest bidder. But there is something to say about dealing from a position of strength to address a position of weaknesss.
There are differences. Talbot was older and a year away from RFA. Raanta was also coming up on free agency.

Raanta’s been pretty damn good for Arizona when he has been healthy. Wasn’t his fault that Kuemper came in and basically stole his job.

Your premise of trading from strength is absolutely correct. It’s more of a question of when and how. I’m sure Gorton is getting calls now but to make a move today it has to be a big win for the Rangers. And The Czar is putting down a body of work that gets better and better. And better. At some point he will either become a core piece that won’t be traded or he will be moved. That may be a tougher decision than you think.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island

First- we haven't seen Shesty at the NHL level yet, and so we don't know what we have for sure.
Second- Since we haven't had Shesty at the NHL level, his trade value is lower than Georgy and if we assume he'd be as good (Or better) (A strong assumption) we get a better bang for the buck trading Georgy.

They're effectively the same age, and the organization in my opinion can only hold one of them long term. I don't envy Rangers management when they have to make a hard decision on this.

My stance has been to trade Georgiev because of the potential return, and because we have backup options if Shesty stuggles.

But yea, on Strome? This is the best possible moment to trade him. I like him a lot, but he's going to get an inflated contract that he doesn't deserve. Chicago made the right moves to travel on from players who were going to get more from other teams.

He plays big minutes, does Strome, but it is nothing that can't be replaced if we develop Chytil correctly.
The expansion draft is not an issue. Georgiev can be protected and Sherstykin is exempt.

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
I love when posters cowardly take a shot at other posters without quoting them or tagging them.

To everyone else who responded to my post about Zucc not appearing thrilled to be where he is, that was the whole point, to generate discussion.

Moving on.
Its a small thread, there was zero chance you weren't going to see this. No ones hiding anything and no one is afraid of you or anyone else on a hfboards thread. Ease up and take a lighthearted joke once in a while. Also, gender doesn't mean squat.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
To BOS
Chris Kreider

To NYR

2020 1st
Studnicka

To DET

Buch
Keane

To NYR
Athanasiou
mid-tier prospect/pick

yay or nay?

I dont know how much Boston would give up but replacing Kreider's speed with AA would be pretty nice. Would be fun watching AA and Chytil flying down the rink

Sign Strome 2 years $9M or just take him to arbitration for his last restricted year.

Keep Georgie unless someone overpays. Even then, what's a goalie worth? More value in keeping him

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden

Moving on.

Just for the record, I agreed with it and it was certainly an astute observation IMO!

Sorry Minny, but that is not how Zucc would have looked sporting Dolan’s hat!

Reactions: RGY

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
duh- I think that is a lot for Athanasiou. He is one arbitration award from UFA. He is going to get paid a lot on his next deal and is only scoring at 0.5 PPG.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I think DQ is really pushing it with Buchnevich. The kid HAS certainly had many really hard working efforts this year.

It’s possible that he has tackled off some. But it’s dangerous when he is the only one held to such high standards. Kreider can be MIA for months at the time. Howden is far from perfect. Kakko is tired at times. But the moment Buch isn’t perfect it’s ‘Pavel go sit there next to Hank, Smith you got Pavel’s spot’.

DQ is in charge and if he can push Buch even further — great. But he should also be accountable if it back fires.

Reactions: TheDirtyH

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
duh- I think that is a lot for Athanasiou. He is one arbitration award from UFA. He is going to get paid a lot on his next deal and is only scoring at 0.5 PPG.
I think he's a better player than Buch and has more value. The sweetner is Keane, coming from our position of strength.

He's a 'buy-low' candidate, not in trade value but in potential cap value. Maybe it was wishful thinking but to get him locked up at a decent rate since he's not replicating what he did last year.. 4-5years $20-25M; something similar to what Zibs got.

Reactions: Ola

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012

No one wants to lock up Strome to big money-long term. If that's what he 'demands', so be it.

There's no need to rush him out. At worst, we'd have another year of his services at a decent rate.

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
To BOS
Chris Kreider

To NYR

2020 1st
Studnicka

To DET

Buch
Keane

To NYR
Athanasiou
mid-tier prospect/pick

yay or nay?

I dont know how much Boston would give up but replacing Kreider's speed with AA would be pretty nice. Would be fun watching AA and Chytil flying down the rink

Sign Strome 2 years $9M or just take him to arbitration for his last restricted year.

Keep Georgie unless someone overpays. Even then, what's a goalie worth? More value in keeping him

Like the first trade. Think too much in the second. I think AAs season last year was an outlier. Ages are similar (AA is about 8 months older) but in think you will get more bang for your buck with Buch.

Rangers should not be moving Keane due to the season hes having plus he'd be the next call up, imo, if someone on the right side got hurt.

Last edited:

wafflepadsave

May 28, 2011
Franklin, Tn
To BOS
Chris Kreider

To NYR

2020 1st
Studnicka

To DET

Buch
Keane

To NYR
Athanasiou
mid-tier prospect/pick

yay or nay?

I am doubting Boston overpays for Kreider. His body of work has to be dropping his value by the day. Kreider is not going to be #1 on any teams list at this point.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Currently lundkvist is killing the shl, now i feel two things r gonna happen. Either theyll sign him once season is ovsr and either let him try his trade in hartford or they trade deangelo and call up joey keane who is playing very well for a rookie. The other option would be let him develop in the shl another year, but idk i want him to get used to na ice. Honestly, i feel gortons gonna be using the d surplus to trade for forwards next season..
DeAngelo and those other guys are apples and oranges right now. I think the Rangers shouldn’t- and won’t - be trading Anthony anytime soon.

Reactions: leetch99

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
There’s been some chatter that the Red Wings are fed up with Andreas Athanasiou and are listening on offers. Hearing they are very down on his inconsistency. After 30 goals last year, he only has 5 so far this year. He’s also -33, which is really hard to do, even in a team as bad as Detroit.

I’d sure be on the phone gauging the situation. When I’ve seen him, he sure has been impressive. Skates like the wind.
Watching the Knights I kept thinking about how consistent they are. They’re like ocean waves pounding the beach. Talent is obviously critical but so is consistency. And all I read about AA is his inconsistency. I may be underestimating him, but I don’t think he’s a substantial player on a winning team. I’d aim higher.

Reactions: wafflepadsave

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
To BOS
Chris Kreider

To NYR

2020 1st
Studnicka

To DET

Buch
Keane

To NYR
Athanasiou
mid-tier prospect/pick

yay or nay?

yay and then nay.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Want nothing to do with AA. Guy doesn’t defend at all. Last thing we need.

Georgiev is an rfa as well. Something to think about. I guess we could do what we did with Lemieux and Tony. Bridge him to a 1 million dollar contract until hanks contract expires. We could ask Shesterkin to wait another year in Hartford or the KHL. But that’s a big ask.

just a really tough call here.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
With his recent performances, is Georgiev the hottest goalie on the market?

I think the Rangers are open to listening on just about about everyone, but they have to proceed very carefully with their goalies.

Shesterkin has been every bit as good as advertised down in the AHL, but there's no way Georgiev hasn't put himself front and center in the goalie conversation.

I'd still give it good odds the Rangers end up moving Georgiev, but I suspect it wouldn't be until the summer and in a package deal. If indeed that does happen, Georgiev increasing his value would only help them.

But right now it's hard to say with certainty that the Rangers will end up doing. Through 57 games, Georgiev has done nothing but raise his stock, and that can complicate things a bit.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Kapanen is a good player but I’m in no hurry to trade The Czar for a good player. There’s no pressure to make a deal right now. Most likely an offseason trade. If his performance holds steady or improves, I would want a really good player or a top half of the first round draft choice,

My intuition continues to tell me that's the most likely scenario.

I do know the Rangers have flirted with the idea of getting Shesterkin some reps at the NHL level in the second half of the season, so we'll see how that plays out.

But Georgiev and Strome seem like off-season decisions.

Reactions: eco's bones
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->