Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part XVI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
I love how everyone is regretting the Skjei deal, despite all projectable skills and data suggesting that was the smart move, while worrying about bridging Pionk who has looked terrible defensively lately, doesn’t produce any offense at 5v5, gets slaughtered on the PK, and is riding an unstainable streak of PP points. Skjei is only one year older than Pionk.

Vinny DeAngelo

Jimmy Easy to defend
Mar 17, 2014
florida
I love how everyone is regretting the Skjei deal, despite all projectable skills and data suggesting that was the smart move, while worrying about bridging Pionk who has looked terrible defensively lately, doesn’t produce any offense at 5v5, gets slaughtered on the PK, and is riding an unstainable streak of PP points. Skjei is only one year older than Pionk.
Thats what Pionk has always looked like tho... We know what we're buying.

Skjei on the other hand looks more like a rookie year wonder and then barely the same. Did we buy skjei on old info or on the idea that he can regain his rookie level of play or surpass it.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
There isn’t a season or a situation available where Miller for Hanzal makes sense. There’s no possible rehabilitating of that take.
There is no possibly rehabilitating of wanting to trade established NHLers for a kid who has had major surgeries and injuries already in his young career with a very small sample size in the NHL justifying why those assets should be traded for him. The Fabbri idea was overplayed and wrong.

And you can take the Hanzal thing out of context from the discussion of ideas and concepts at that time to fit your agenda all you want. Continue to neglect that the discussion was about adding more veteran depth. Miller was not hitting his ceiling and in the seasons that followed he continued to underwhelm by being disengaged and disappearing at times. Its why he is no longer here.

Get over it.

Reactions: NY Lito

Good Intentions

Mar 30, 2018
I’ve been trying to find the right words for Skjei...

I’m looking at a college bro with an identity crisis. He’s trying to be a points guy (he’s not). He’s regressing defensively. He clearly has talent, but could also be playing intramural rugby with the guys after class. He’s not that bright (not Brendan Smith-level stupid) but I’d say he’s below average hockey IQ. If he keeps it up, he’ll still make his money and follow a MDZ path in a third rate city.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise

Personally, I don't regret the Skjei deal.

However, I think the best odds for it being a successful endeavor is to get him back in a second pairing role.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Personally, I don't regret the Skjei deal.

However, I think the best odds for it being a successful endeavor is to get him back in a second pairing role.
I agree for the time being. They also need to redefine his role and stop having him play so aggressively in the offensive zone. Have the fowards play higher up in the o-zone and work down through the walls rather than blitzing 3 guys deep. It’s part of the reason that they keep getting caught on the backcheck and it would help us shoot more out of a necessity. It also would cause more motion in the opposing d and open up more seams in the slot for us, where we’re at the bottom of the league in shot generation.

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
I agree bridge Pionk. It’s risky throwing lots of cash and term at a kid and expecting them to still work. However, it will mean that we end up paying more for him long term. Hopefully he’ll be worth it.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC

Quinn needs to do to Skjei what he did to Namestnikov. Put him on the bottom pairing and let him re-discover a simplified game. Don't play him more until he does for several games running. I still think long-term, the contract will be fine.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Hanzal was a bad idea then. He has more value now actually.

Back to Skjei, it's quite simple. He has to stop trying to be Bobby Orr and just play defense. More Hedican less Orr, problem solved.

I wouldn't say Shattenkirk has been awful this season. I'd say extremely mediocre. Slight difference.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008

Not sure I regret it but I do remember thinking at the time there was not likely any bargain, or risk on Skjei's part included in that deal.

On Pionk, and DeAngelo for that matter, bridging them seems to me to be the way to go, but it's for the same reason Skjei probably should have been bridged; are they really going to cost all that much more after a bridge deal given they are not likely to end up as top pair defenders in the long run?

Reactions: jas

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden

Look at all rebuilding/tanking/struggling NHL teams, is there a single young D that is -- not -- struggling a bit?

It has been like this more or less after 05' really. The work description for a D on a struggling team is not possible to perform more or less. OTOH the same work description is perfectly possible, sometimes almost easy, to perform for a very strong team on which you have great support.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC

Prevents Edmonton and Calgary from leaving the division with Vancouver, plus sets up a situation where they don't need to change anything if Arizona moves to Houston, Milwaukee or Kansas City (with Houston being the most likely of those three) if they can't find another buyer.

Reactions: TheTakedown
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad