Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part XVI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
I'd be fine paying him long-term, if the cap hit is commensurate with the risk the Rangers are taking. 5 years @ $3m type of deal

It’s too early in this process to commit long-term to any player other than the obvious...and I don’t see anyone in that category just yet. I expect Chytil to be one of those players, and Kravtsov and Miller when they get here. But, there is still too much fluidity with this roster, and there are players and prospects that could be here in a short while that could easily push aside players of Pionk’s ilk. Keep the deals short term until the full picture emerges. There is still so much unknown.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
I'd be fine paying him long-term, if the cap hit is commensurate with the risk the Rangers are taking. 5 years @ $3m type of deal
Well i agree with this for sure Viper. $3 million max. However no player would take that at his age. And they shouldnt as far as their future outlook is for their career progression. They would be screwing themselves. Therefore either bridge him or deal him.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
It’s too early in this process to commit long-term to any player other than the obvious...and I don’t see anyone in that category just yet. I expect Chytil to be one of those players, and Kravtsov and Miller when they get here. But, there is still too much fluidity with this roster, and there are players and prospects that could be here in a short that could easily push aside players of Pionk’s ilk. Keep the deals short term until the full picture emerges. There is still so much unknown.
All good points.

I know we look at guys like Miller, Lundkvist, Hajek, and even Lindgren as players that can push out Staal/Smith/Shatty, but in reality they can also be guys that push out a Pionk, DeAngelo, or even Skjei (although is contract may be the worst on the books). Need a year or two for this roster to shakeout as you said which is the bridge term for Pionk. Maybe Pionk develops and earns a permanent spot

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
Lmao and ALL of that ended up being true and accurate. All of it happened, or didnt happen for that matter?

So whats your point? What are you getting on your high horse about?

Hagelin didnt get traded.

Mcilrath was a complete bust. Miller was a baby.

Hanzal wouldve been a good center to add to that team. We added Yandle.

Klein didnt get moved.

Edit: And Kassian is terribad.

Team went to game 7 of the ECF.

Go back in your hole. Fabbri has been banged up with injury after injury and is only 22. Talk to me when he becomes something
Miller for Hanzal is A JOKE. Hagelin DID GET TRADED.
Klein couldn’t be traded so he was forced into retirement.
Jagr was DOA last year. Almost everyone recognized that. Almost everyone.

Just warning you to stay off your high horse. There’s plenty more where that came from.

Last edited:

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Miller for Hanzal is A JOKE. Hagelin DID GET TRADED.
Klein couldn’t be traded so he was forced into retirement.

Just warning you to stay off your high horse. There’s plenty more where that came from.
Get a grip. You just dont like that your assessment is wrong. Your infatuation with Fabbri is through the roof. The kid has not become much of anything. Unfortunately injuries have held him back. But now he is hurt again.

Miller underperformed every postseason appearance. 16 points in 40 GP. He was atrocious every time the games got tight and tough. Hanzal was banged up that year but the point was too look for veteran depth because we were going for it that year. You have to give up assets to acquire pieces when youre contending. Its a risk. Was done in ‘94 and it worked out. Not sure what youre bitching about, as usual.

Hagelin did get traded, AFTER THE SEASON. He played a crucial role in both playoff runs especially on special teams and being involved on important timely goals, but why am i even explaining this to you...

And now youre going after Klein too? Lets get a show of hands here of who had a problem with Klein who added the grit to the backend that we were so desperately lacking. Cmon lets see how many people had a problem with the Viking.

Plenty more where that came from? Am i supposed to be scared of a person getting worked up over Fabbri being criticized? Robby friggin Fabbri of all players. Im shaking in my boots over here over that threat...

Go ahead keep going after the players who were fan favorites here during the cup contending seasons, lets see how that plays out for you. I do want to see the show of hands of people here who had an issue with Klein and Hagelin.

Reactions: NY Lito

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Think we missed the boat on Leivo, Vancouver gave nothing for him we could have given them Letterri or Fogarty.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
I agree eating 50 on both and they are moveable but they won’t get much. Staal has more value then Smith

Does Staal have a no trade this year ? Expires in the off-season ?

Staal isn't going anywhere based on the comments from thsoe in the know about his relationship with Sather

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Not really exempt. Technically Seattle can claim him in the draft but as a pending UFA, I think it's unlikely.

That's assuming he doesn't sign a new deal of course

Precisely this. Knowing the Expansion rules in play, Hank would wait until after the Expansion Draft to sign another contract. Rangers could get an asset back for Georgiev if Shesty is the real deal in the NHL

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Why would Toronto care so much about trading a player who was on their 4th line out of the conference?
The hype over this trade is perplexing.

Missed the boat? Needed to be out of the conference?

Sure, Vancouver got an NHL player for nothing. Happy for them. If we wanted, we could get a different NHL player for nothing. Why would we want to in a rebuilding year?

If this team was any sort of contending I might care more, but still.

DutchShamrock

Nov 22, 2005
New Jersey
Why would Toronto care so much about trading a player who was on their 4th line out of the conference?
Why would they care about giving him an opportunity with a team that has top 6 needs? But they did, because they asked him to be a team guy. We don't have a top 9 spot when everyone is healthy. Weigh out the pros and cons of NYR vs Vancouver. It was Toronto's better partner.

There are plenty of criticisms for this organization. Josh Lievo is near the bottom.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
I don't want a 5 year commitment to Pionk at this time. Doesn't matter what the money is.
Agree. Pionk is a bridge candidate if I ever saw one. See if he'll plug the holes in his defensive game in the mean time. Give him 2 years and 6 million total. That will take him to UFA if I'm not mistaken. Extend him 4 to 5 years at the end of the bridge or trade him. There's a lot of depth coming down the pipeline.

If Buchnevich will extend cheaply, I'd lock him in long term. 6 years, 24 million. 4 million a year. Kreider only got marginally more for a shorter term. Both players have great tools bit have been proven to be wildly inconsistent.

Kreider is finally going to score 30 this year barring injury. Do the Rangers trade him when his value is high or do they keep him thinking he's going to be an important and productive player for them when the team is ready to contend again? How much term and money does he want? I'd bring him back on another 3 or 4 year deal at a higher dollar amount and re-evaluate at the end of the deal and see where he and the team are at. If he insists on a 6-8 year extension, start calling teams about him. Can probably get a really nice futures package.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Hanzal is banged up every day, every minute, every second. Guy is the Derrick Rose of the NHL.

Has a lot of skill. I'm happy he was never a Ranger and they didn't give up anything for him, but would gladly take him as an LTIR add on if goodies supreme were coming back with him.
This was in regards to 2015. The discussion is not about current interest. And quite honestly, as I had said, the interest then was to see if we could add a veteran forward with talent for depth purposes as we were trying to get back to the SCF.

Vinny DeAngelo

Jimmy Easy to defend
Mar 17, 2014
florida
The in-house development of fourth liners has been pretty dog****, but Fast and Vesey would kick ass on a contender's fourth line, same way Skjei would on a second pairing
The dirty little secret about Skjei is that hes been playing on the 2nd pairing for the past month and has looked worse...

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Agree. Pionk is a bridge candidate if I ever saw one. See if he'll plug the holes in his defensive game in the mean time. Give him 2 years and 6 million total. That will take him to UFA if I'm not mistaken. Extend him 4 to 5 years at the end of the bridge or trade him. There's a lot of depth coming down the pipeline.

If Buchnevich will extend cheaply, I'd lock him in long term. 6 years, 24 million. 4 million a year. Kreider only got marginally more for a shorter term. Both players have great tools bit have been proven to be wildly inconsistent.

Kreider is finally going to score 30 this year barring injury. Do the Rangers trade him when his value is high or do they keep him thinking he's going to be an important and productive player for them when the team is ready to contend again? How much term and money does he want? I'd bring him back on another 3 or 4 year deal at a higher dollar amount and re-evaluate at the end of the deal and see where he and the team are at. If he insists on a 6-8 year extension, start calling teams about him. Can probably get a really nice futures package.

The last thing the team needs is to give him 2 years, watch him progress, and then walk for nothing.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016

He's a much better player than his usage, potential to be a 2nd liner but if nothing else a 3rd liner, he was just stuck behind too many high end players in Toronto.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Pionk should be a bridge deal. We cant do another Skjei right now. Worst case scenario Pionk plays well and we have to pay him 7 mill instead of 5 on a long term deal,by that time we know what he is and we have a lot of contracts coming off the books.

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
This was in regards to 2015. The discussion is not about current interest. And quite honestly, as I had said, the interest then was to see if we could add a veteran forward with talent for depth purposes as we were trying to get back to the SCF.
There isn’t a season or a situation available where Miller for Hanzal makes sense. There’s no possible rehabilitating of that take.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
The last thing the team needs is to give him 2 years, watch him progress, and then walk for nothing.
If he shares up the holes in his game, he'll be worth the extension. The Rangers are going to make some hard decisions in the coming years. Some will be worth extending long term and some will have to be bridged. With the defensive depth coming through the system, a player like Pionk (who he is today) is replaceable. He needs to work on the holes in his game to be worth a long term deal.

Reactions: jas

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ

How is he walking for nothing? At that point, if he’s progressed to the point you’re claiming, the Rangers either sign him long term or move him by the trade deadline that season. There is no reason to commit long term to any of these kids yet. If Gorton is doing this thing right, the depth in the organization is there that players like Pionk can either solidify a spot on the roster, or be moved for other assets while being replaced from within.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad