Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part XVI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
With the expansion draft set for 2021, we can rule out the already small possibility that Kravtsov plays this season and burns a year off his ELC

Reactions: egelband

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
What made him not a great candidate IYO?
I think after two NHL seasons, we didn't really know what Brady Skjei was as an NHL defenseman. But we should have been able to rule out a star. So what is the future UFA contract we're protecting ourselves from? Don't think the risk is made up for in reward.

Reactions: Turbosperg

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Yeah I’ve seen comparisons made to kuznetzov and Tarasenko and how they hung back in Russia.

As far as I remember, they both had other things that kept them home.

The Blues and Caps had great depth and they wouldn't get a spot on the team immediately. That's probably where Kravtsov's situation differs.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
If the Rangers are smart they will sign Buchnevich to a 5-year contract at about $4m per.

They absolutely should lock him into an Arvidsson-style deal. He hasn't broken 60 like Arvidsson, but I'd easily give Buch the long-term commitment now to keep him cheaper through his prime. The only one I'd worry about bridging now is Pionk.

Reactions: kovazub94

DutchShamrock

Nov 22, 2005
New Jersey
Funny that a huge point of complaints FOR YEARS was bridging too many guys, then as soon as a guy isn't bridged and struggles its suddenly sooo stupid not to
Oh, well what you do is see if the guy out played his bridge deal. That guy should have gotten a longer deal. The guy that got a long deal and struggled, he should have been bridged.

I'm glad you brought it up, I thought I was going crazy.

Reactions: Amazing Kreiderman

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
They absolutely should lock him into an Arvidsson-style deal. He hasn't broken 60 like Arvidsson, but I'd easily give Buch the long-term commitment now to keep him cheaper through his prime. The only one I'd worry about bridging now is Pionk.

Long term contracts signed now will pay of a ton 2-3 years down the line if the player performs. To get those great contracts on the books is a — must — if we ever want to be able to contend, it’s probably more important than a FOA pick.

Gorton must step up and make the right calls. Bridging these guys to ‘wait and see’ if they perform must be a complete no-no.

Reactions: Mac n Gs

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
Long term contracts signed now will pay of a ton 2-3 years down the line if the player performs. To get those great contracts on the books is a — must — if we ever want to be able to contend, it’s probably more important than a FOA pick.

Gorton must step up and make the right calls. Bridging these guys to ‘wait and see’ if they perform must be a complete no-no.
In general I would agree, but it also has to depend on each individual player obviously. And Skjei for example, at his age and skill level, doesn't exactly stand out as a player who in 2 years would be making exponentially more than he is now. The risk outweighed the reward for him.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
In general I would agree, but it also has to depend on each individual player obviously. And Skjei for example, at his age and skill level, doesn't exactly stand out as a player who in 2 years would be making exponentially more than he is now. The risk outweighed the reward for him.

@31 was making the same point but I disagree. Even a marginal improvement coupled with a rising cap can make quite a difference both in real dollars and in cap hit %.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->