Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part XVI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
The bridge contract was made for a player like Pionk. There's definitely room for growth, but some of his underlying stats are concerning.

Regarding Staal and Smith, respectfully disagree on their movability. Either of those players has value with some healthy retention. Maybe it's not much value, but I could see a mid-round pick in exchange for some retention. Bringing the cap hits down into the $3M range is pretty solid value for those two, even with all their warts.

Seriously, if Gorton is even considering a bridge contract for someone that he isn't 100% sure that he will try to move ASAP he should be fired on the spot. Like I could understand some posters not understanding the CBA and what the result of a bridge contract is 5 years ago but it can't seriously be a topic still???

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
I doubt they do it, I get the risks, but I’d be tempted to go 4 years for ADA.

Wouldn't that bring him right to UFA when that contract ended?

edit: Or am I wrong there? all the same point is sort of the same

I am thinking the optimal play for non elite entry level re-signing is to try to have their contracts end with two RFA years left.

At that point, player elects arbitration, teams pick term, one or two years, (they almost always pick one year but do not divulge that until right before a hearing should it get that far)

Between then and when the arbitration date would happen, player has to decide whether or not to go that route or just sell off a UFA year or more, or if he really wants to go through with arbitration, and then maybe have to do it again the very next year as he'd still have one RFA year left.

Most players decide the risk of two short contracts is just not worth it and decide to sell the remaining RFA years and a UFA year or two at a cheaper rate right then, cheaper then may have possibly received for that UFA year(s) later on.

Net result the teams usually gets the player at somewhat of a discounted rate for 3 or more years which includes at least one UFA year if not more.

Last edited:

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
I doubt they do it, I get the risks, but I’d be tempted to go 4 years for ADA.

No way they do it but I agree it's tempting. I like his game a lot even though he still has some flaws.

DeAngelo is the one player I actually would advocate trying to give a little more term to.

He's been trying to solidify his tenuous spot in the lineup, but he has a clear path forward. He's a guy I would roll the dice on snagging for cheap. If he's willing to accept that kind of a contract. $10M over 4 years would be tough for a kid his age to turn down.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
He's 25. If he hasn't forced his way into the conversation to be a middle 6er at this point, I'm not sure that he ever will.

On Toronto? Guys ahead of him are Matthews, Taveres, Marner, Marleau, Nylander,Brown ,Kapanen,Kadri,Hyman....good luck wedging yourself in there. Marleau and Hyman are Babcocks favorites and the rest are very good hockey players. If he was on this team he would be on with Zibanajad.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
From #NYR practice today: Zuccarello, Buchnevich, Namestnikov and McQuaid all practiced and all are possible for the FLA-TB trip next weekend.
-Rick Carpiniello

Reactions: Zats Muccarello

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Funny that a huge point of complaints FOR YEARS was bridging too many guys, then as soon as a guy isn't bridged and struggles its suddenly sooo stupid not to
There were definitely some that are pro-long term deal after ELC, but thought that Skjei wasn't a great candidate for it. There were literally several of us.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
All depends on the player....I still dont see Skjei as a problem, Quinn will straighten him out.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
There were definitely some that are pro-long term deal after ELC, but thought that Skjei wasn't a great candidate for it. There were literally several of us.

I was fine with a long term when I thought they'd use the RFA years as leverage to lessen the cap hit, they seemingly ignored all that and just gave out, basically in my opinion, UFA compensation.

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
Will be interesting to see how many contract buyouts are pushed for at the start of the next CBA. Likely a few owners looking to get out of NMCs before the expansion draft

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
All depends on the player....I still dont see Skjei as a problem, Quinn will straighten him out.
There's definitely a good chance the contract turns out to be a positive one for the team, but that doesn't mean that the risk/reward at the time wasn't way out of whack.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
On Toronto? Guys ahead of him are Matthews, Taveres, Marner, Marleau, Nylander,Brown ,Kapanen,Kadri,Hyman....good luck wedging yourself in there. Marleau and Hyman are Babcocks favorites and the rest are very good hockey players. If he was on this team he would be on with Zibanajad.

Marleau and Kapanen weren't on the team when Leivo should've started to push for those spots. And Connor Brown is a third liner at best. If Leivo is capable of top-6 time, he never should've been beaten out by Brown.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Marleau and Kapanen weren't on the team when Leivo should've started to push for those spots. And Connor Brown is a third liner at best. If Leivo is capable of top-6 time, he never should've been beaten out by Brown.

He will do well in Vancouver.

effen

Feb 3, 2018
What made him not a great candidate IYO?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad