Speculation: Roster Building Thread Part XVI: C'mon, do something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
How can you say they are still far away if you just admitted you don't follow the team too closely? :squint:
I watch their roster recently and some of their prospects who did not pan out that well, but I don`t know their GM or staff so maybe they can fix it and go for it next year?
I`m just guessing, because I don`t know them that well compare to Rangers. I seldom watch their games, except when Rangers play against them for instant.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
I watch their rooster recently and some of their prospects who did not pan out that well, but I don`t know their GM or staff so maybe they can fix it and go for it next year?
I`m just guessing, because I don`t know them that well compare to Rangers. I seldom watch their games, except when Rangers play against them for instant.

Again, they had Washington by the throat. If Bobrovsky plays like a decent goaltender, they easily win that series vs. Washington. There isn't at ton that needs to be fixed.

Now, let me ask you this Ori, if before the start of the 2016-2017 season you look at Vegas' roster, would you think they were a good team? Would you have thought that the Capitals had the right roster to win the cup? I am going to guess that the answer is no.

When you watch a roster and don't watch a team, it leads you to make wildly inaccurate assumptions.

Also, every team has prospects that don't pan out.

Reactions: Ori

Ori

Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Maybe I did not watch that series @Gardner McKay. But I actually voted on Caps to win the serie and they did nonetheless. :)
I took a break end of this season so not much playoffs hockey for me I admit that. So you would go all in like a bet in huge $, m8 that CBJ will win it next year?
Yes, Vegas surprised us all this season including me - I would no way put money on that team concerning a Stanley cup final visit and go that far in the playoffs.

Ori

Nov 7, 2014
Norway
My point was earlier was not really about CBJ as a Stanley cup contender next year or not, and that was certainly not my point, but specific about the Panarin trade Zib for Panarin which was proposed by another poster here. I don`t follow CBJ too closely so I can only make assumption bad or not about that franchise. :) But I got your point - maybe I should not assume anything about CBJ and just debate the Panarin trade value which I somewhat did in his last 3 seasons and posted stats about him.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
The NY Rangers are not going to have zero 30+ players on their roster when they develop back into contention.

It's just not going to happen. That's a FHM strategy.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
Panarin for Zibanejad is awful value. What if Panarin walks at the end of the season?

Even if Panarin is extended, I'm still not sure it's fair value.

Ori

Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Yes, I thought the same thing for CBJ, which is why I :D in the @Tawnos post, because I thought the value wise was a huge difference which is true. We need to add to move Zib + + for him right now, but as some other poster mentioned it`s not worth for us to give them 5 assets to sign Panarin and just wait until free agency and go all in.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
With how bad we might be next season, I doubt Panarin would re-sign. Wouldn’t trade Zib for one year of Panarin. If he wants to come here as a FA after we draft Jack Hughes, that’s great.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Panarin for Zibanejad is awful value. What if Panarin walks at the end of the season?

Even if Panarin is extended, I'm still not sure it's fair value.

Panarin is one of the top 30 offensive players in the league. Has been top 20 in scoring each year.

I like Zibanejad but Panarin is a star forward at a good age. Given our center depth that move makes a lot of sense from multiple angles.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
I’d do it and if Panarin/CBJ isn’t working out I’m sure CBJ would do it too. We’d be stacked with Russians
Imagine-
Panarin-Chytil-Kravtsov

Panarin in 2019 would be INSANE on this team. That's why I am not a proponent of moving Hayes. Use this 2018-19 season as a development year for the entire team. I think the following things need to be identified prior to the end of this year:

What role does DeAngelo fit into on this team, if any role at all? Pionk?
Is it worth it to keep Hayes or trade him?
Can Staal actually be servicable in a zone defense system? Smith?
What are Andersson's, Chytil's, Kravtsov's, and a few of the bottom duty guys (Lettieri, Nieves, Fontaine, Pedrie, Howden, Hajek) roles on the following year's team?
Is Georgiev for real? How does he play out for the expansion draft?
How long can Lundqvist keep playing like this? Can he go until 40?

Once you have an idea of what those questions, you can start supplanting the team with top tier free agents. Panarin and Karlsson come to mind.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Yeah, and?

He's a PPG player. You add those if you can

At some point they're going to hand out contracts to these guy when it's worth it. Panarin would be worth it

I think he was actually a proponent for signing him (I thought the same at first too, but read it again)

archanfelnsx

Feb 25, 2018
Any chance we are one of the teams that get a phone interview with Tavares? If not, what would be some good short term UFA options we could get on 1-2 year deals?

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Any chance we are one of the teams that get a phone interview with Tavares? If not, what would be some good short term UFA options we could get on 1-2 year deals?

They mentioned he met with 7 teams and we were not one of them.

I expect Gorton to sit on his hands in free agency because muhr rebuild.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Well if the alternative is to splurge on big names, I hope he continues to sit on his hands.

If we bottom out this year (not that I think we will), it would probably hurt our chances at big name FAs next sunmer.

I don't think so.

MSG is always going to be an attractive destination for any player. If there is one thing that this organization does better than anyone, it's recruiting free agents.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
And if the other option is to overpay for the middle market, again, I prefer that he sit on his hands.

They'll sign someone (probably more than 1 player) during the free agent period. They won't be the sexy names that some are hoping for but they shouldn't be.

This is kind of how a rebuild works.

Reactions: mschmidt64

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
If you are going to sign a FA, sign the elite players that actually get there. The problem contracts are the guys like Smith who are solid, but fairly replaceable and don't provide high-end production.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad