Speculation: Roster Building Thread Part XVI: C'mon, do something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
None of those teams would trade their first round pick.

And if they do, it won't be for Ryan ****ing Spooner and Namestnikov.
Lol that proposal reminds me of my Canuck fan uncle right after the draft lottery saying they should trade Anders Nilsson to Buffalo for the 1st overall pick

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
I'm not gonna argue with attaining elite talent, bc of course we need it. I'm not even anti-rebuild. We hit a point where our core aged, we had some contracts that hurt us, a coach that wore out and his welcome, and it was time for a change. But the pouting and self-pity that people are trying to pass off as "competitiveness" on here is ridiculous. *****ing about the past few years, whining about how it wasn't worth it cause we didn't win, Hank has done nothing but keep us mediocre. Its all so, so childish.

The whitewashing of the past few years and the notion that we've done it all wrong b/c we didn't win a cup is stupid. When are we cup ready? When are in a better spot to win a cup, better than a team that went to 3 ECFs and 1 SC in 4 years? What's the threshold to take us out of the rebuild? If some things went differently, we could have and probably should have won a cup(s). **** happens, it's life.

We can move on and improve from lessons learned without trying to burn the history books and doing every single thing differently out of bitterness.

No, it's not "**** Just happens, that's life".

"Life" didn't hold this franchise back from winning a Cup. Ranger management being one of the only teams in the league unable to draft and develop an elite high end offensive talent is what held them back.

Saying that's just life shit happens is deflecting the blame for who is responsible.

Reactions: NikC

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I'm still interested in trying to see if Florida has interest in Zuccarello...

I would also LOVE to have the Rangers get their hands on Denisenko

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
Two player who can legitimately carry the offensive load. Another good LD who can push Skjei down.

If I were Gorton though my priority would be continuing to dismantle the team (trading Spooner, Zuccarello, possible Vesey, Hayes) and tearing it down.

Post draft... that feels like the right way to go. Unfortunately, it means giving up on the rest of the Lundqvist era, but that's how it goes.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
A true elite #1 center and a true elite #1 defenseman.

Outside of a two year run by McDonagh we've been without both since Leetch and Messiers primes.

And it's quite obvious this management doesn't have what it takes to draft and develop a high end elite talent. And you can't win a Cup without multiple elite talents.

So do the math.

And it doesn't look like we landed either in the draft.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Organizational depth prospect wise, the area that is the most thin is LW IMO.

Thankfully that's the position that is easiest for left-handed center icemen to transition to. Howden's a center for sure but I could see one of Hayes, Andersson, or Chytil becoming a LW.

Or they can fill it via free agency when the time comes.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Buffalo could also need a Zuccarello type of player, but do we have enough veterans here to move him this season?

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
Buffalo could also need a Zuccarello type of player, but do we have enough veterans here to move him this season?

after no one got moved at the draft we have plenty of veterans. plus you can sign a UFA to backfill spots if trades are made

Ori

Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Yes true, but there are many teams who will be all in if he hit free agency.

Ori

Nov 7, 2014
Norway
I believe Oilers are interested in Zucc too for sure - not sure if they have their 2019 1st pick. But it will not be a top 1st pick - I believe that Oilers are ready for playoffs this year with the right moves. I doubt u will get top #10 pick for only Zucc by the way concerning value even though he is a 53-60 pts. player.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
If I were Gorton, I would start clearing the deck. That would mean Hayes, Zuccarello, Zpooner and Namestnikov, for me, would be shopped. I'd be looking for Smith to be given every opportunity to play this season to build up his value, and then I would look to trade him as well.

I would be looking to create cap space for next off-season.

Seguin
Karlsson
Panarin
Doughty
Duchene
Couture
Pacioretty
McDonagh
Stralman
Skinner
Lee

Acquire as many high quality young assets prior to next off-season and then target one or two of these guys

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
I'm not trading anything for Panarin. Let him walk and sign here. No need to trade for him unless he was open to a whole bunch of teams. Right now, it would be 2-3, and we're one of them. We'll be able to offer the most money as well. I don't see us committing to any UFA for more than 1-2 years this offseason. We're going to have cap space next offseason.

Also, if Dallas is in on Tavares, we should be on the phone with them about Spezza and his 1 year deal at 7.5 million. Ask for their 1st or a 2nd and a good prospect to take on his salary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Granada vs Osasuna
    Granada vs Osasuna
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $20.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest