Speculation: Roster Building Thread Part XVI: C'mon, do something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Zib for Pan.

Panarin Chytil Krav
Kreider Hayes Buch
Names Andersson MZA

defense will still be a travesty unless Quinn can pull off a miracle. Which is fine... Jack Hughes would be a nice add.

OR

They could just move Zib to wing

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
If you are going to sign a FA, sign the elite players that actually get there. The problem contracts are the guys like Smith who are solid, but fairly replaceable and don't provide high-end production.

We're special. We'll just draft elite players as we have an established record of doing...

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Zib for Pan.

Panarin Chytil Krav
Kreider Hayes Buch
Names Andersson MZA

defense will still be a travesty unless Quinn can pull off a miracle. Which is fine... Jack Hughes would be a nice add.

OR

I can see it now.

-Rangers are bad but not last in the standings
-Clark zeroes in on his guy, who is obviously slightly off the board
-Rangers win the lottery
-With the #1 pick the Rangers pass on Hughes to take Clark's guy because it's Clark's guy

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Yes but Zib is not even close for Pan @duhmetreE in consider player value. It will be one of those fantasy proposals category on this forum - which is why we ended up debated CBJ as a whole team, and I ended up with quote tunnels with @Gardner McKay and wrong assumptions, because I`m not that well updated about CBJ as a team related to strength and weaknesses. I just know a couple of their players including Panarin & Alexander Wennberg as players.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
I expect the Hayes market to sort itself out. First Tavares, then Stasny, then possibly O'Reilly. Plenty of teams need centers. I expect he will be the 4th center domino to fall. I can't imagine a circumstance where the Rangers trade Mika. If Tyler Bozak has twelve teams calling, you can imagine how many have inquired on Hayes.

There may or may not be an MZA market. Might be better to wait until the trade deadline. There seems like a lot of similar players still available. Set a price, wait for an offer.

I'll take my chances with a backup goaltender with a big contract (i.e Mason, Darling) and sweetners and let Benoit work his magic. Need a veteran so Prince Alexander can play 60 games in Hartford.

As for UFAs, I would consider (in no particular order)

Jay Beagle -- leadership, great usefulness
Patrick Maroon -- hard worker
JVR (only with a Shattenkirk like contract, which I believe is possible)
David Perron -- maybe
Riley Nash (likely to be gone before a Hayes trade develops)
Derek Ryan
Ian Cole -- solid defenseman and locker room leader
Michael Grabner
Toby Reider -- He is a real useful 3rd/4th line player as long as he is paid accordingly
Michel Kempny -- showed me a lot in the playoffs
And one of -- Antoine Roussel, Ryan Reaves or Leo Komarov (need sandpaper) Reaves also goo locker room guy

Add leadership, build a modest veteran core that will tutor the kids. No interest in excessively long terms, NMCs etc. Create stability, especially on the defensive side.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
Zib for Pan.

Panarin Chytil Krav
Kreider Hayes Buch
Names Andersson MZA

OR

Or wait a year without Panarin. Everything will be a travesty. Then keep Zib, draft Hughes, and sign Panarin

Reactions: TheTakedown and jas

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I'd love to see some sort of statistical analysis done on success of fallers v risers in the draft.

Is that something you guys could do?
I'd be interested to see it.

My theory is that neither of them matters and risers and fallers are nothing more than GM's sucking themselves off and outsmarting themselves over small samples sizes. Just a theory.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
I'd love to see some sort of statistical analysis done on success of fallers v risers in the draft.

Is that something you guys could do?
I think a Sharks fan posted about that for the SJS in our advanced stats thread. They would’ve been better with the fallers.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Zib for Pan.

Panarin Chytil Krav
Kreider Hayes Buch
Names Andersson MZA

OR

How does this make any sense at all? Trade our #1 center for a pending UFA in year we may be bad enough to get the 1st overall pick.

Why not just wait until Panarin is UFA?

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
I just want to make a post with the expansion rules, maybe we can sticky this so everyone has the answers.
Protected Lists

* Clubs will have two options for players they wish to protect in the Expansion Draft:
a) Seven forwards, three defensemen and one goaltender
b) Eight skaters (forwards/defensemen) and one goaltender
* All players who have currently effective and continuing "No Movement" clauses at the time of the Expansion Draft (and who to decline to waive such clauses) must be protected (and will be counted toward their club's applicable protection limits).
* All first- and second-year professionals, as well as all unsigned draft choices, will be exempt from selection (and will not be counted toward their club's applicable protection limits).
Player Exposure Requirements

* All Clubs must meet the following minimum requirements regarding players exposed for selection in the Expansion Draft:
i) One defenseman who is a) under contract in 2017-18 and b) played in 40 or more NHL games the prior season OR played in 70 or more NHL games in the prior two seasons.
ii) Two forwards who are a) under contract in 2017-18 and b) played in 40 or more NHL games the prior season OR played in 70 or more NHL games in the prior two seasons.
iii) One goaltender who is under contract in 2017-18 or will be a restricted free agent at the expiration of his current contract immediately prior to 2017-18. If the club elects to make a restricted free agent goaltender available in order to meet this requirement, that goaltender must have received his qualifying offer prior to the submission of the club's protected list.
* Players with potential career-ending injuries who have missed more than the previous 60 consecutive games (or who otherwise have been confirmed to have a career-threatening injury) may not be used to satisfy a club's player exposure requirements, unless approval is received from the NHL. Such players also may be deemed exempt from selection by the League.

Player "Professional Experience" Definition Explained
A Player aged 18 or 19 earns a year of professional experience by playing 10 or more NHL games in a given NHL season
A player aged 20 or older (based on age on December 31 of calendar year in which the season starts) earns a year of professional experience by playing 10 or more Professional Games under a standard player contract in a given League Year. –GeneralFanager.com

See here fore reference: Clarification On Definition Of First And Second Year Professionals - SinBin.vegas

The following situations are considered ineligible for count towards a professional season
ELC Slides--These are essentially non-documented seasons. They assume the player is too young to count, AND has not played a minimum games requirement. In any case, the player cannot accrue a professional season
International-League-Loaned Players--That is, any league where there is no transfer agreement. Players that play for the KHL are considered either "not in NHL" or if they leave for the KHL they are considered "defected players", and therefore these years do not count at ALL towards the Expansion Draft, even if in the middle of an ELC. Most other international leagues do not have a transfer agreement with the NHL.
Junior Loaned Players--Same as KHL years.
Players signed to Amateur Tryouts--These are not complete contracts, therefore they do not count towards an accrued professional season
Players signed to Professional Tryouts--Same as ATO

What does this mean for the Rangers?
Remember that the Expansion draft will happen in June of 2o20, which is part of the 2019-20 season.
Any of our recent draft picks will still be in their 2nd professional season during the 2020 Expansion Draft, even if they signed an ELC today. Most of our 2017 draft picks haven't

The following players will be exempt from the expansion draft, regardless of whether or not we begin to use their ELC's this season:
Chytil
Andersson
Kravtsov
Howden
Hajek
Day
Gettinger
Lindqvist
Miller
Lindgren
Rykov
Meskanen
Shesterkin
Any other 2017 Draft Pick that either a) signed an ELC that had a slide year, or b) has not yet signed an ELC
Any 2018 Draft Pick, regardless of whether or not they sign an ELC.
Any 2019 Draft Pick, regardless of whether or not they sign an ELC.

The following players will require protection in order to keep:
Staal*
Shattenkirk*
Lundqvist*
Zibanejad*
Hayes
Buchnevich
Skjei
Vesey
Spooner
Namestnikov
Fast
Kreider
Zuccarello
DeAngelo
Pionk
Vesey
Any 2017 Draft Pick that a) signed an ELC and burned a year off the contract, or b) signed an ELC and played in the NHL past the age of 20 for at least 2 full seasons

* = indicates NMC active during 2020 Expansion Draft

The following prospects are most likely left exposed:
Gropp
Lettieri
Pedrie
Crawley
Georgiev
Nieves

I've left out most of the UFA's that are throwaways. We can update this later, but this is important info that Gorton is probably considering when it comes to rebuilding this team. We picked a good time to do all this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad