Speculation: Roster Building Thread Part XVI: C'mon, do something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Curious to see that the concensus feels the biggest top 2 needs are with the current roster?

Two player who can legitimately carry the offensive load. Another good LD who can push Skjei down.

If I were Gorton though my priority would be continuing to dismantle the team (trading Spooner, Zuccarello, possible Vesey, Hayes) and tearing it down.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
Curious to see that the concensus feels the biggest top 2 needs are with the current roster?

A true elite #1 center and a true elite #1 defenseman.

Outside of a two year run by McDonagh we've been without both since Leetch and Messiers primes.

And it's quite obvious this management doesn't have what it takes to draft and develop a high end elite talent. And you can't win a Cup without multiple elite talents.

So do the math.

Last edited:

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..

1. Everything.
2. More of everything.

In all seriousness the only real "strength" right now is long-term options when it comes to left-handed two way and defensive defensemen. Everything else needs help.

The key is to avoid the quick fixes and focus on building a contender.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
We all care @silverfish :)

Anyway we need to keep our 1st in 2019 draft, and hopefully get another one through trades. Maybe Buffalo looking to add one of Spooner or Nam for their 1st in 2019 since they need to start build around Rasmus Dahlin?

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
I'm wondering that if Gorton doesn't find fair value for Spooner or Namestnikov, that he won't just qualify them and trade them at the deadline. Would keep Namestnikov personally but I get the sense he's going to get dealt.

Do the Rangers want to pay Hayes? 5 years and 4.75 million is a more than fair deal. Anything over 5 million annually and things get dicey. He never scored more than 50 points in a season. Do the Rangers really want to tie up that much money in him when Chytil and Andersson will need 2nd contracts in 3 years?

I wouldn't deal Hayes for futures. I'd look to deal him in a hockey trade for a defenseman. Hanifin would have been a prime target. US kid. Good size and skating, ready to break out offensively. Oh well. Anaheim may want a center with Kesler out for the year. They have tons of interesting defensemen. Winnipeg could be an interesting idea that has good defensemen and a need for a center. St. Louis too. I saw a report that Parayko could be available. Would a package around Hayes and a blue chip prospect get it done? Throw in Spooner or Namestnikov as a sweetener.

Reactions: Trxjw and jas

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Zib
Andersson
Zuc
Skjei
Buch

in no particular order
move along with relocating Smith + Staal
move for long term profit

Zib is a difference maker available immediately, we should exploit that if there is enough reason/profit.

Andersson, I like, Chytil, we love
we can do some combo of Hayes, Chytil, Howden and Nieves [1st or 4th depending on chemistry w/Kreider]

Zuc, now that teams are no longer obliged to use 2018 currency, you can get 2019 picks or prospects, keep the rebuild

Skjei and Buch, just want to see if profit

Zib, Andersson, Buch, and especially Skjei are key components to our rebuild. They’re not available, despite how obsessed you are with 37 player trades.

Howden and Nieves are not suitable replacements for Zibanejad. Howden hasn’t cracked a roster spot yet, and Nieves doesn’t possess and has never possessed the type a talent a 1C requires.

Staal and Smith have negative value.

Bern honest question. Do you actually watch hockey..?

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Spooner, Namestnikov, Zuccarello. Those are the guys that could very well be moved this summer.

Teams are going to miss out on their UFA targets. After the dust settles in mid July and teams have a good idea of what their roster looks like, then you’ll see some action.

Gorts isn’t done loading up on picks either. He’ll acquire more 2019’s.

GregSirico

KakkoSZN
Jan 3, 2012
Atlanta
twitter.com
If I'm Gorton, I start to try and move the following guys over the next 2 years (obviously depending on return):

Zuccarello
Hayes
Namestnikov
Spooner
Beleskey
Vesey
Fast
Shattenkirk
Staal
Smith
Krieder
Zibanejad

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
If I'm Gorton, I start to try and move the following guys over the next 2 years (obviously depending on return):

Zuccarello
Hayes
Namestnikov
Spooner
Beleskey
Vesey
Fast
Shattenkirk
Staal
Smith
Krieder
Zibanejad
Imo, Hayes Kreider and Mika can easily be the "vets" of the new core. I wouldn't move any of the 3 unless the return was outrageous

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC

Outside of a two year run by McDonagh we've been without both since Leetch and Messiers primes.

And it's quite obvious this management doesn't have what it takes to draft and develop a high end elite talent. And you can't win a Cup without multiple elite talents.

So do the math.

I'm not gonna argue with attaining elite talent, bc of course we need it. I'm not even anti-rebuild. We hit a point where our core aged, we had some contracts that hurt us, a coach that wore out and his welcome, and it was time for a change. But the pouting and self-pity that people are trying to pass off as "competitiveness" on here is ridiculous. Bitching about the past few years, whining about how it wasn't worth it cause we didn't win, Hank has done nothing but keep us mediocre. Its all so, so childish.

The whitewashing of the past few years and the notion that we've done it all wrong b/c we didn't win a cup is stupid. When are we cup ready? When are in a better spot to win a cup, better than a team that went to 3 ECFs and 1 SC in 4 years? What's the threshold to take us out of the rebuild? If some things went differently, we could have and probably should have won a cup(s). Shit happens, it's life.

We can move on and improve from lessons learned without trying to burn the history books and doing every single thing differently out of bitterness.

NikC

Oct 7, 2008

So do the math.

Yes ,100x over and again. Whatever it takes these are the types of players needed to BUILD on. Foundational talent in the key positions.

They have been spinning their wheels for years going after single, supplementary, star players... names, etc.

This only works when you have the foundational, talent to work with...

Reactions: Off Sides

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Yes. Quite good from what I've read.
A good strategy for Gorton is to deal with teams who are low ranked this season for their top picks in 2019 draft like Buffalo. I doubt Rasmus will do much different this year for instant so they will probably end low on the table. :)

Reactions: GregSirico
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese