Speculation: Roster Building Thread Part XV: Trading up or down? - Mod Warning post #450

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
That's my biggest fear. Not that Tkachuk won't be a good NHLer, but with scoring being such a premium, Wahlstrom should be the play here. And let's not kid ourselves, Wahlstrom is a big kid who uses his body as well. He's not just a scorer.
Wahlstrom doesn't use his body much at all. Tkachuk using his body on both sides of the ice more than probably anyone else in the entire 1st round. Wahlstrom has a tremendous shot, which is why I really like him, but Tkachuk also comes as a complete package with scoring upside. I'd be really happy with both.

gravey9

Dec 29, 2008
FWIW -- in Gorton's pre-draft interview he said they didn't qualify Tambellini. This probably belongs in the HFD thread.

Reactions: Inferno

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Georgiyev is 22. He needs to play every night. He should be starting on what hopefully be a better HFD team.

Its a tough situation. We'll have a log-jam for 2019-20, and I think Georgiyev will be the odd man out, so right now I'm more worried about the value we could get for him than whats best for his development. Might not be in his best interest, but I think its in the team's best interest. It does us no good to have three keepers, therefore Georgiyev needs to up his value this season, and then leave.

If he starts poorly in the NHL this season and it seems like last season was an anomaly, he won't even have any value, so you can send him down at that point.

Reactions: haveandare

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
I think they have Tkachuk higher.

I’m not sure if they have Zadina or Tkachuk higher.

Tkachuk was getting a lot of love on Hockey Prospects Radio tonight. Everything that people here love about him was discussed...the size, vision, hands and skill. He is the most unique combination in this draft.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Rumor on the trade rumors board says Lindholm has asked for $5m per. If that is anywhere close to what Namestnikov or Spooner are asking for that’s nuts. And then if they’re asking for that what is Hayes asking for?

That's a player who should sign a two year (via arbitration) and become the youngest UFA out there. He is not going to make that kind of money in CAR. CAR thinks he has a lot more to offer and believe he can be an upper echelon scorer.

But I think he's a guy that peaked at 19 because CAR rushed him, and he settled into a very comfortable role. No way is he worth $5M, nor $4M imo.

A would be top 6 center that was a top 5 pick who ended up as a middle 6 winger on a losing team? That's not a long term deal, that's a show me contract.

That said, he was a late birthday, who before he was draft eligible, had a lot of hype around him as the best player to come out of his area since Nick Backstrom. CAR pulls him into NHL money after essentially 50 pro games in Sweden, and he's done the bare minimum to stay in the league. He's a 5-Tool Center without a motor.

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
Dahlin
Svechnikov
Kotkaniemi
Dobson
Wahlstrom
Hughes

that is where I have my Top 6 picks prediction, but if I had to predict the remaining spots to us

Bouchard/Boqvist
Tkachuk/Hayton
Zadina/Tkachuk

Zadina and Wahlstrom could flip spots, but this is what I'd bet on if I had a gun to my head; Zadina is falling and D will be taken in the 4-7 range

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Tkachuk was getting a lot of love on Hockey Prospects Radio tonight. Everything that people here love about him was discussed...the size, vision, hands and skill. He is the most unique combination in this draft.

All true.

There’s no one like him in this draft and few players in the NHL like him.

That’s the appeal, even if he never scores 40 or even 30 goals.

Reactions: Inferno

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Dahlin
Svechnikov
Kotkaniemi
Dobson
Wahlstrom
Hughes

that is where I have my Top 6 picks prediction, but if I had to predict the remaining spots to us

Bouchard/Boqvist
Tkachuk/Hayton
Zadina/Tkachuk

Zadina and Wahlstrom could flip spots, but this is what I'd bet on if I had a gun to my head; Zadina is falling and D will be taken in the 4-7 range

Frankly, that’s all very plausible.

Reactions: Alluckks

GregSirico

KakkoSZN
Jan 3, 2012
Atlanta
twitter.com
Wahlstrom doesn't use his body much at all. Tkachuk using his body on both sides of the ice more than probably anyone else in the entire 1st round. Wahlstrom has a tremendous shot, which is why I really like him, but Tkachuk also comes as a complete package with scoring upside. I'd be really happy with both.
Some of the WJC games I've watched, I've seen Wahlstrom use his body, yes now Tkachuk uses it a lot more, but it's not something he's allergic to.

NYRKING30

Apr 29, 2011
NYC
The question is if the crabs don't take Kotkaniemi, who then do they take? Besides the recent skyrocketing of Kotkaniemi, i remember reading they really like Tkachuk. They have also obviously been linked to Zadina. I guess a safe bet would be they are not taking a Dman.

NYRKING30

Apr 29, 2011
NYC
Parayko is better than Trouba.

Bro thank god we didn't make the rumored trade of Sjkei and Miller for Trouba. Trouba is so unimpressive and nothing about his game stands out as legit top pairing dman for 7 years at top money. Being right handed probably even inflated the affection for him. Color me unimpressed.

Last edited:

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
The question is if the crabs don't take Kotkaniemi, who then do they take? Besides the recent skyrocketing of Kotkaniemi, i remember reading they really like Tkachuk. They have also obviously been linked to Zadina. I guess a safe bet would be they are not taking a Dman.
If they don't take jk they'll take tkachuk almost assuredly. Tkachuk is such a perfect fit for that coacb

Reactions: NYRKING30

NYRKING30

Apr 29, 2011
NYC
If they don't take jk they'll take tkachuk almost assuredly. Tkachuk is such a perfect fit for that coacb
If we were the 3rd overall pick I'm not so sure id be thrilled if he was the 3rd pick for us. Although he's probably one of the safest sure bets to get 20/20 a year. Obviously, not the highest ceiling as some other players.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
If we were the 3rd overall pick I'm not so sure id be thrilled if he was the 3rd pick for us. Although he's probably one of the safest sure bets to get 20/20 a year. Obviously, not the highest ceiling as some other players.
I'd say 20 goals is definitely a possibility..I just think he's gonna be a 40+ assist guy. He's such a tremendous passer

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
That's my biggest fear. Not that Tkachuk won't be a good NHLer, but with scoring being such a premium, Wahlstrom should be the play here. And let's not kid ourselves, Wahlstrom is a big kid who uses his body as well. He's not just a scorer.

Tkachuk is a very talented player. He might not have 35+ goal upside like a Wahlstrom or Zadina, but he's a high-level play maker who can impact the game in multiple ways. I don't think 25/40 seasons are at all unrealistic for his upside and his floor is likely a 2nd line winger who still brings all of the grit and intangibles he's known for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia