Speculation: Roster Building Thread Part XV: Trading up or down? - Mod Warning post #450

Status
Not open for further replies.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Lams will land Karlsson this weekend. You watch. A guy we could use to hold down our blueline for the next 7 years easy. He’s that good.

Islanders will get him and a goalie and bring back Tavares while We try and trade for Adam Fox
You're giving LL too much credit. He's not that good of a GM. He's decent, but not as great as you're making him to be.

Last edited:

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Lams will land Karlsson this weekend. You watch. A guy we could use to hold down our blueline for the next 7 years easy. He’s that good.

Islanders will get him and a goalie and bring back Tavares while We try and trade for Adam Fox

I hope they give up king's ransom for EK. Then EK walks in 12 months lol.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Many members here are unable to grasp the concept of the Rangers rebuilding. The Rangers need to avoid long term contract commitments for players in their late 20's. The team isn't ready to win yet. The team is a good 3 years away from being a top team again. Their young players will determine everything for them. Acquiring a big name player isn't going to change that time period.

This team was a last place team last season. They have a very good chance of finishing last again this coming season. That's OK. It's a very tough division. It will probably see 5 teams make the playoffs again.

The Athletic power rankings have them as a last place Metro team

25. New York Rangers
The Rangers rebuilding process is going to take some time, and the draft will be critical to their improvement. They have three first-round picks and seven picks in the first three rounds, but they may not all get used. — Rick Carpiniello

NHL Power Rankings: Winning the Cup isn't enough to earn No.

So this is where we stand at the juncture of Seventh Avenue and 31st and 33rd streets. The Rangers, who should have oodles of cap space throughout the season with which to operate, are not going into a cocoon. If a price-is-right player becomes available, they will jump in. But they are dedicated to building first from within, and supplementing later. That’s what they plan to do while owning five of the first 48 picks in the draft that commences with Round 1 on Friday.

Listen, it is not as if the Rangers are exactly starting from scratch. Henrik Lundqvist alone gives the team a chance to win on any given night. Gorton is not sending a skeleton squad onto the ice in front of his goaltender. The Rangers intend to compete, not turtle. They’re on the lookout for righty defensemen, but then, so is about everyone.

Gorton is going about this the old fashioned way. It is the only way. Back in the 1970s, the kids were nurtured, the team fell out of the playoffs for a couple of years, but then Anders Hedberg and Ulf Nilsson brought their talents to Broadway and it was ooh-la-la time.

Every 40 years, organic is the way to grow.

https://nypost.com/2018/06/22/rangers-employing-rebuild-plan-they-havent-tried-in-40-years/

The Rangers won't be the Buffalo Sabres getting whipped every night but they won't be a playoff team.

The conversations don’t end with the picks. The Rangers have league-wide interest in their young-ish top two centers – Kevin Hayes and Mika Zibanejad – who could bring prospects or young players at other positions (Calgary defenseman Dougie Hamilton?), and in Mats Zuccarello, who will be an unrestricted free agent next summer. But Gorton doesn’t want to empty the cupboard when it comes to his “veteran” players and doesn’t sound dead against adding one or two, either.

“We’re not looking at a bunch of older players where we’re at,” Gorton said. “I think I’ve been pretty clear that we can’t have all 18, 19, 20-year-old players on our team. We have to the necessary people on our team that can help some of these guys learn the game and help us do whatever we can to try to win every night. So that’s where we’re at.”

On draft eve, Gorton tells rebuild skeptics to 'look at the...

I would trade Hayes. No on Mika. Zuccarello. It depends on the return. Are all of the wingers getting traded? Pacioretty? Skinner? Simmonds? Kessel? Florida was interested in a winger and they acquired Hoffman. JVR and Kovalchuk are free agents. They will go to teams looking for wingers. Those teams will fill their needs in free agency. Neal and Nash are both free agents. Neal would have a sought after rental if Vegas was a seller. So many teams wanted Nash at the deadline. There are enough Nash fans running NHL teams. The Rangers best play might be waiting to move Zuccarello at the deadline. The Rangers have time there. Hayes is a group II free agent. Time to move him is now.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Wahlstrom’s all around game is underrated. He floats a little and is not 100% engaged sometimes but when he tries, he’s good defensively and can throw big hits. His effort level needs to step up quite a bit and if it does, he’ll be a beast. Wahlstrom is exactly what we need (RHS sniper)
Also a very unpopular opinion-Wahlstrom>Zadina

Side note- I’m stoked for this draft. I cannot sleep or stop thinking about the possibilities. There’s a huge graduation party I’m invited to tomorrow but the draft comes first, I’m taking off of work Saturday as well to follow along with this draft.
Do not want Boqvist or Bouchard, anyone else I would be very happy with. Also-I mentioned this a while ago but now it’s more likely to happen (because he’s falling on lists apparently) I still cannot shake this feeling that Zadina will end up a Ranger. I’m not a huge fan or anything but I’ve weirdly dreamed about this 2-3 times and he just feels like a Ranger. I think we add one more Czech player this draft and gut feeling says Zadina or Pekar.

Look, I think Wahlstrom is good defensively. Does he floats? I am not sure what that means really.

But the kid is 6’1 and 210 lbs. If you look at the average forward in the U18 WJC for example, is he over 170 lbs? So many of these kids are really light and fast and agile. And they can keep skating an entire game. Wahlstrom is (i) a little flat footed, not a perfect skater, (ii) he is heavy on his skates. Nobody complained on like Keith Tkachuks skating when he played, but the game have changed.

Wahlstrom is the best sniper in a long time, Laine tops him but besides him OW is up there. Why does people don’t have OW top 3? Why does some de facto have him outside the top 10? It’s the big challenge he has.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Look, I think Wahlstrom is good defensively. Does he floats? I am not sure what that means really.

But the kid is 6’1 and 210 lbs. If you look at the average forward in the U18 WJC for example, is he over 170 lbs? So many of these kids are really light and fast and agile. And they can keep skating an entire game. Wahlstrom is (i) a little flat footed, not a perfect skater, (ii) he is heavy on his skates. Nobody complained on like Keith Tkachuks skating when he played, but the game have changed.

Wahlstrom is the best sniper in a long time, Laine tops him but besides him OW is up there. Why does people don’t have OW top 3? Why does some de facto have him outside the top 10? It’s the big challenge he has.

If he's there at 9, and I seriously doubt he is .... then he's a no brainer pick.

Reactions: RGY

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Many members here are unable to grasp the concept of the Rangers rebuilding. The Rangers need to avoid long term contract commitments for players in their late 20's. The team isn't ready to win yet. The team is a good 3 years away from being a top team again. Their young players will determine everything for them. Acquiring a big name player isn't going to change that time period.

This team was a last place team last season. They have a very good chance of finishing last again this coming season. That's OK. It's a very tough division. It will probably see 5 teams make the playoffs again.

The Athletic power rankings have them as a last place Metro team

NHL Power Rankings: Winning the Cup isn't enough to earn No.

https://nypost.com/2018/06/22/rangers-employing-rebuild-plan-they-havent-tried-in-40-years/

The Rangers won't be the Buffalo Sabres getting whipped every night but they won't be a playoff team.

On draft eve, Gorton tells rebuild skeptics to 'look at the...

I would trade Hayes. No on Mika. Zuccarello. It depends on the return. Are all of the wingers getting traded? Pacioretty? Skinner? Simmonds? Kessel? Florida was interested in a winger and they acquired Hoffman. JVR and Kovalchuk are free agents. They will go to teams looking for wingers. Those teams will fill their needs in free agency. Neal and Nash are both free agents. Neal would have a sought after rental if Vegas was a seller. So many teams wanted Nash at the deadline. There are enough Nash fans running NHL teams. The Rangers best play might be waiting to move Zuccarello at the deadline. The Rangers have time there. Hayes is a group II free agent. Time to move him is now.

Have to trade Zucca. Now or come trade deadline. Letting him walk is horrible asset management.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
You're giving LL too much credit. He's not that good of a GM. He's decent, but not as great as you're making him to be.

I could have made these moves. He doesn’t need to be a good GM. These are no brainers. Pay Trotz. Go use your two first rounders on Karlsson and give Tavares a blank check to run him and barzal out there.

There are a ton of good goalies out there waiting to be plucked. That’s easy

I could have walked into that job a week ago and made these moves. That’s how incompetent Snow is that he couldn’t.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
I could have made these moves. He doesn’t need to be a good GM. These are no brainers. Pay Trotz. Go use your two first rounders on Karlsson and give Tavares a blank check to run him and barzal out there.

There are a ton of good goalies out there waiting to be plucked. That’s easy

I could have walked into that job a week ago and made these moves. That’s how incompetent Snow is that he couldn’t.

Do you think last year's Isles team with EK not only makes the playoffs but wins it all?

Reactions: Go Away Staal

rangers1314

May 9, 2007
Astoria, NY
Exciting day today. Last year we had the Stepan trade out of left field. Wonder what (if anything) Gorton does today.

Mentioned it before, but I hope he's talking to WPG Re: Mason. Jets need to clear $, Mason is at 4.1 for one more year. Let him work with BA and see if you can't flip him at the deadline as a rental.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
Do we have enough time to not only worry about the NYR, our multitude of picks, our rebuilding process, new coach, young players, quite possibly the most important draft in most of our lifetimes...

While @ the same time worry about the Isles????

Damn we are a greedy group lol

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Mentioned it before, but I hope he's talking to WPG Re: Mason. Jets need to clear $, Mason is at 4.1 for one more year. Let him work with BA and see if you can't flip him at the deadline as a rental.

I would do this in a heartbeat if WPG would send over Lemieux + mid rounder

I still think Orpik would be a solid addition if Washington would pay

Reactions: TheTakedown

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
I spent a night listening to NHL Radio. EVERYONE loves this kid. He’s got the frame to be a physical beast. If he’s the target of Gorton and company, I’m completely fine with it.

People love what Kreider brings to the table. Tkachuk is grittier and more skilled than Kreider at the same age. I can't understand why more people aren't fawning over him.

He and Chytil with a righty shooter on there line? Money.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
But The Athletic has learned that last weekend before Max Domi was traded from the Arizona Coyotes to the Montreal Canadiens for Alex Galchenyuk, Fenton and Coyotes GM John Chayka did talk about a framework that would send Niederreiter and Zucker to Arizona for Domi and another forward believed to be center Christian Dvorak.

One caveat: It’s likely that the Coyotes would have had to take Tyler Ennis, who has one more year left on his contract at a $4.6 million cap hit.

Fenton said the Wild will continue to refine their draft list Friday. He said the Wild “absolutely” don’t want to trade their first-round pick, although it’s believed the Wild have been asked for it. One team that came calling is Montreal, willing to deal captain Max Pacioretty in a package. The five-time 30-goal scorer is somebody the Canadiens have discussed with the Wild before when Chuck Fletcher was running the show. It’s hard to see a fit with the Wild though because Pacioretty is 29 and a year from free agency, so he’ll warrant a lucrative extension.

Sources: Zucker, Niederreiter, Coyle all in the middle of...

The Chicago Blackhawks continue to talk to teams about taking on Marian Hossa’s contract. It’s believed there have been conversations with Ottawa, Arizona and Carolina about the concept of taking on a deal that carries a $5.75-million cap hit but pays the player only $1 million per season in real life for the next three seasons. So far I don’t think any of those teams have that much interest in going there. The Coyotes have done it before, taking on Pavel Datsyuk’s contract for a year but they’re in a different phase now. The idea from a Hawks’ perspective, of course, is that there might be teams struggling to get to the new salary cap floor who need the artificial cap hit that Hossa’s contract would provide. Where I think there’s a difference of opinion is that those low-budget teams would want Chicago to pile on an extra asset on top of taking on the Hossa contract whereas the Hawks, I think, are saying that the Hossa contract is of help to teams needing to get to the floor so why should they have to pay another asset? I’m with the Hawks on that one.

LeBrun Notebook: Does adding Trotz seal the deal for...

The Rangers have cap space to take Ennis or Hossa but it won't be cheap. Ennis is making only $3.65M this coming season. The Rangers flip him at the deadline. The Rangers should use their cap space to take on a bad contract for asset and potentially flip player/bad contract at the deadline assuming Ennis is having a good season. If not, the contract expires after one season.

Reactions: Mac n Gs

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
People love what Kreider brings to the table. Tkachuk is grittier and more skilled than Kreider at the same age. I can't understand why more people aren't fawning over him.

He and Chytil with a righty shooter on there line? Money.

Tkachuk sounds like a Blake Wheeler with a more physical side to his game

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Sources: Zucker, Niederreiter, Coyle all in the middle of...

LeBrun Notebook: Does adding Trotz seal the deal for...

The Rangers have cap space to take Ennis or Hossa but it won't be cheap. Ennis is making only $3.65M this coming season. The Rangers flip him at the deadline. The Rangers should use their cap space to take on a bad contract for asset and potentially flip player/bad contract at the deadline assuming Ennis is having a good season. If not, the contract expires after one season.

Ennis would be another solid addition if Minnesota paid the Rangers to take him.

How about:

Coyle + Ennis for Namestnikov

Honestly, I'm a big Coyle fan though. Another Massachusetts guy?

Reactions: RGY

GregSirico

KakkoSZN
Jan 3, 2012
Atlanta
twitter.com
There were 56 players in the league last season who scored 25+ goals.

You don’t produce that much in the NHL without talent.

25+ goal scorers with size, net presence, and leadership are incredibly rare.

Tkachuk doesn’t have the offensive flare that Wahlstrom and Zadina have, but he’s without a doubt talented offensively. He’s not going to be a third line grinder, if that’s your concern.
This I agree with, I just think Zadina and Wahlstrom will be more impact players offensively.

Reactions: Off Sides

Fireonk

Jan 10, 2006
I think you guys are hoping for a bit too much for these guys on bad 1 year contracts. Not going to get any huge asset for someone who just expires at the end of this year.

If you want a prime asset to take on a bad contract it's going to be one of the multi-year cap killers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad