Speculation: Roster Building Thread Part XV: Trading up or down? - Mod Warning post #450

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
If Kotkaniemi goes in the top 5, it's almost a guarantee that either Wahlstrom, Tkachuk, or even Zadina drop. Think after the top 2, Hughes, Dobson, and Bouchard all go to teams in the top 8.

If the Rangers aren’t interested in Kotkaniemi and want a forward to drop, their two best hopes are Montreal and Detroit.

That increases the odds greatly.

Reactions: GregSirico

DutchShamrock

Nov 22, 2005
New Jersey
If the draft was last week, Montreal takes kotkaneimi. You have to wonder if second guessing sinks in with this much down time. So many pundits calling it a reach. No one, NO ONE, has a consensus after 2, so you know there is major debate in any draft room. Do they get an ROR and draft Zadina/Tkachuk?

It's fun regardless. This draft has possibilities.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Seems like all the news coming out is that he is their guy.

I think he is.

I just don’t feel comfortable saying he’s definitely going there.

Just like I have a reasonable idea of the Rangers top 6, but I’m not completely sure.

I’ve had too many last minute changes over the years to be that bold.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
I think he is.

I just don’t feel comfortable saying he’s definitely going there.

Just like I have a reasonable idea of the Rangers top 6, but I’m not completely sure.

I’ve had too many last minute changes over the years to be that bold.
Give me their top 6 plz

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Skjei can certainly anchor a top pairing d. He showed that at high level in the playoffs. Worst he could settle on is a top second pairing guy (at worst!!!). He just turned 24 he is the kind of guy you build with. The kind of guy you want on this team in 4 or 5 years. Unless we are getting a sure thing back. I am ok with sucking next year and we probably will anyway with or without skjei but when the year after this team needs to start trending back up.

What? When has he ever shown this?

Some of you questioned whether McDonagh might be a top pairing D when he was at one point a clear top 10 D in the league. Skjei is well behind where McDonagh was at the same point in his career. We'll be lucky if Skjei ever becomes a top 62 D. I'm not frankly convinced it'll happen. Right now he's a second pairing guy.

And the problem here is not Skjei. Good hockey player. No reason to give away, but should be available for the right deal, like everyone on the team. The issue is that we don't have much defensive talent, so a player like Skjei takes on more value to our D. Thats more about the defense than Skjei. He might be the worst "best D on the team" in the league.

GregSirico

KakkoSZN
Jan 3, 2012
Atlanta
twitter.com
Dahlin, Svechnikov (I know, I know, no kidding)

Zadina, Tkachuk, Hughes, Wahlstrom (some guessing on the order and a little led certain about the sixth man).

But overall, I feel reasonably comfortable saying that.
I wonder if for whatever reason they had to pick between Wahlstom and Tkachuk what would they do? My brain says take Wahlstom.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
If Kotkaniemi goes in the top 5, it's almost a guarantee that either Wahlstrom, Tkachuk, or even Zadina drop. Think after the top 2, Hughes, Dobson, and Bouchard all go to teams in the top 8.

Could easily see the D falling. Losing teams always love to sell their fanbase on a potential scoring forward.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Hope Gorton is exploring taking Steve Mason off Winnipeg’s hands.

Only issue with this is that I think we gotta start Georgiyev in the NHL. We want to be able to trade him after the season, so he needs to play at least 30 or so games to up his value, and show he's an NHL starting goalie. If we let Mason play in the AHL, I have no problem with taking him of Winnipeg's hands as a one year cap dump. If its to be the back up, I don't think it makes sense.

Reactions: haveandare

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
He has formidable bust potential imo similar to someone like Kravstov, but does not have the high end upside. I don't see him producing more than 50-55 points if everything in his career clicks. I'd rather pay a premium to move up for one of Zadina/Tkachuk/Wahlstrom than stand pat and take Farabee.
Imo, and I'm not claiming any deep knowledge here, just read a good bit about the top guys and watched what video I could find, Farabee seems like his potential to totally bust is very low. He may not end up being a big scorer, but I think no matter what he'll be a guy with a top notch motor who keeps other teams on their toes and limits time and space. That's not great for 9OA admittedly, but he has a fallback skillset if his offensive potential ends up busting.

Metranger

May 22, 2015
That's my biggest fear. Not that Tkachuk won't be a good NHLer, but with scoring being such a premium, Wahlstrom should be the play here. And let's not kid ourselves, Wahlstrom is a big kid who uses his body as well. He's not just a scorer.
On NHL Tonight, Wahlstrom said that Patrick Laine is his favorite player and who he models his game after.

NYRKING30

Apr 29, 2011
NYC
Yeah I would just be surprised if he's not one of the 8 off the board somehow still. Im hoping it plays out this way like you have said.
I wouldn’t.
If he's there and we don't take him. I will be severely disappointed. This potentially is the type of goal scorer this franchise needs to draft on its own and develop into a bonafide 30 goals plus guy. But he's American, from Mass, we all know how much this team loves their boston,american kids. I LOVE Tkachuk but def not my first choice.

rangers1314

May 9, 2007
Astoria, NY
Only issue with this is that I think we gotta start Georgiyev in the NHL. We want to be able to trade him after the season, so he needs to play at least 30 or so games to up his value, and show he's an NHL starting goalie. If we let Mason play in the AHL, I have no problem with taking him of Winnipeg's hands as a one year cap dump. If its to be the back up, I don't think it makes sense.
Georgiyev is 22. He needs to play every night. He should be starting on what hopefully be a better HFD team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->