Speculation: Roster Building Thread Part XV: Trading up or down? - Mod Warning post #450

Status
Not open for further replies.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
I think you guys are hoping for a bit too much for these guys on bad 1 year contracts. Not going to get any huge asset for someone who just expires at the end of this year.

If you want a prime asset to take on a bad contract it's going to be one of the multi-year cap killers.

Carolina got Teravainen for taking on 1 year of Bickell.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
The best stylistic comparison I’ve seen for Wahlstrom so far is Mika Zibanejad by @Pavel Buchnevich. He’s a better shooting version of Mika with a much deadlier wrister.

If you can get a kid like Nino or Coyle out of Minnesota just by eating a bad contract, do that yesterday.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Wheeler took quite a bit to get to that level, though. I’m sure if someone suggested Wheeler potentially being a PPG in 2010 you would have been laughed at.
This is why p/60 is important. He played all 82 games, played barely over 10 minutes per game of 5v5 time. 1.66 points/60 at even strength only behind Bergeron and Krecji on Boston that year.

Could you have guaranteed he'd be a point per game player then? No, of course not. Could you have recognized this is probably a 60 point player who isn't getting enough minutes? Perhaps.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
This is why p/60 is important. He played all 82 games, played barely over 10 minutes per game of 5v5 time. 1.66 points/60 at even strength only behind Bergeron and Krecji on Boston that year.

Could you have guaranteed he'd be a point per game player then? No, of course not. Could you have recognized this is probably a 60 point player who isn't getting enough minutes? Perhaps.

I'm speaking stylistically. Wheeler is an absolute force and has been for a long time. His reach, size, hockey IQ and vision are very unique. Tkachuk has those same strengths so while he may not be a 40g scorer, he can have a very large effect on a game.

Last edited:
Reactions: silverfish

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
I'm speaking stylistically. Wheeler is an absolute force and has been for a long time. His reach, size, hockey IQ and vision are very unique. Tkachuk has those same strengths so while he may not be a 40g scorer, he can have a very large effect on a game.
Gotcha. I'm never sure when people compare prospects to established players if they're saying that this person will be that person, or just plays a similar game to this person.

Like Lias and Jesper ;)

Reactions: Irishguy42

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
I think one of Zadina/Wahlstrom/Tkachuk are the guys they want and I think if one falls to 5/6 they will trade up to get them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad