Speculation: Roster Building Thread Part XV: Trading up or down? - Mod Warning post #450

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
He is a unique combination of size, skill and skating. He’s an impact player on a nightly basis. He’s got great vision and soft hands. That’s not Ryan Callahan.
Ehhh, I think he's quite a way away from being an impact player on a nightly basis. I watched him a decent amount this year and he impressed me less and less as I kind of keyed in on him

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
I spent a night listening to NHL Radio. EVERYONE loves this kid. He’s got the frame to be a physical beast. If he’s the target of Gorton and company, I’m completely fine with it.
Yep. Like I said...if I was picking at 3...I'd take tkachuk. He's that unique.

Think about kreider. He's not a 40 goal scorer

But he's unique
He's elite at a few things and he's got some things few others have. Unique.

The number of players who can score 60 points...wreck guys with hits...piss everyone on the other team off..and get in the other teams goalies face all night can be counted on 1 hand.

Zadina and wahlstrom will score more. No doubts there at all...but I think tkachuk is the kinda guy you can win a championship with. I really like his game...especially within what we're trying to do here.

Reactions: Pizza and Dijock94

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
Reactions: Go Away Staal

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Wahlstrom doesn't use his body much at all. Tkachuk using his body on both sides of the ice more than probably anyone else in the entire 1st round. Wahlstrom has a tremendous shot, which is why I really like him, but Tkachuk also comes as a complete package with scoring upside. I'd be really happy with both.
Wahlstrom’s all around game is underrated. He floats a little and is not 100% engaged sometimes but when he tries, he’s good defensively and can throw big hits. His effort level needs to step up quite a bit and if it does, he’ll be a beast. Wahlstrom is exactly what we need (RHS sniper)
Also a very unpopular opinion-Wahlstrom>Zadina

Side note- I’m stoked for this draft. I cannot sleep or stop thinking about the possibilities. There’s a huge graduation party I’m invited to tomorrow but the draft comes first, I’m taking off of work Saturday as well to follow along with this draft.
Do not want Boqvist or Bouchard, anyone else I would be very happy with. Also-I mentioned this a while ago but now it’s more likely to happen (because he’s falling on lists apparently) I still cannot shake this feeling that Zadina will end up a Ranger. I’m not a huge fan or anything but I’ve weirdly dreamed about this 2-3 times and he just feels like a Ranger. I think we add one more Czech player this draft and gut feeling says Zadina or Pekar.

Last edited:

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I may be speaking out of turn here since I know very little about this draft, but it sounds like he's a good all around player. I just don't think that jacks of all trades are really ever the type of player you hope for at #9 in an excellent draft. I know it's #9, not #3, but it doesn't sound like he has star qualities. Ryan Callahan was a jack of all trades. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Nah, very different players.

Tkachuk is a big, strong guy, good playmaker, and good IQ.

He’s going to be a guy who can influence the direction of a game — either with a timely goal, setting up a play or by getting other teams off their game.

If you’re looking at him as a wing, he’s a potential first line talent.

Callahan worked his butt off to carve out an NHL career, but Tkachuk is on a different level from him talent-wise and physically. This is a kid you draft because you believe he opens up the ice for your other players.

Pizza

Sep 17, 2005
If somehow they could leave the first round with Tkachuck and anyone of Farabee, Kravstov, or even slim of slims, Wahlstrom then that would make it the best 1st round in Franchise history.

And This is a chance to write Rangers history right here

Small chance that happens but I think there is a very strong chance they will go big and bold if they can do it within reason...and maybe even a bit past it.

This is Lion for a day kinda stuff. You don't get too many genuine cracks at that.

There's gonna be a ruckus here tomorrow no matter what. I'm strapped in.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
can anyone explain to me why so many posters are suggesting a hayes to calgary for hamilton deal and then immediately flipping hamilton to edmonton for the 10th overall pick where we would probably draft a RHD who in the best case scenario might be almost as good as hamilton?

am i missing something or is hamilton not the top pair RHD that we so badly need?

I realize that right now the theme is all about fantasy draft day scenarios to set us up for disappointment tomorrow night...but no way i'd flip him. give me a top pair of skjei and hamilton
Welcome to draft day fantasy camp.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
Its a tough situation. We'll have a log-jam for 2019-20, and I think Georgiyev will be the odd man out, so right now I'm more worried about the value we could get for him than whats best for his development. Might not be in his best interest, but I think its in the team's best interest. It does us no good to have three keepers, therefore Georgiyev needs to up his value this season, and then leave.

If he starts poorly in the NHL this season and it seems like last season was an anomaly, he won't even have any value, so you can send him down at that point.
We have an even tougher jam if Seattle comes into the league in 2020. Best case may be if Georgiev boosts his value in 2018-19 and then becomes a trade chip.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
We have an even tougher jam if Seattle comes into the league in 2020. Best case may be if Georgiev boosts his value in 2018-19 and then becomes a trade chip.

I think Shestyorkin is exempt, and Hank has the NMC, so we can put a third goalie up in the expansion draft.

But it does give more credence to the idea of trading Georgiyev after one more season. He wouldn't be exempt for the Seattle expansion draft in 2020. If we wait two more years to try to trade him and he somehow breaks out the next two years and turns into a legit starting goalie and a better option than Shestyorkin, what is the smart play? I just don't know that there is one. Are we really going to trade with Seattle not to draft him when we also have Hank and Shestyorkin around the team?

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
If somehow they could leave the first round with Tkachuck and anyone of Farabee, Kravstov, or even slim of slims, Wahlstrom then that would make it the best 1st round in Franchise history.

And This is a chance to write Rangers history right here

Small chance that happens but I think there is a very strong chance they will go big and bold if they can do it within reason...and maybe even a bit past it.

This is Lion for a day kinda stuff. You don't get too many genuine cracks at that.

There's gonna be a ruckus here tomorrow no matter what. I'm strapped in.

I dunno, I'm not sure why this draft is so much more crazy than last years for example, I think people are overhyping themselves for it.

I'll be shocked if the Rangers pull of a really big trade.

I would not be shocked if that trade up is for Tkachuk though

cd211

Feb 6, 2010
New York, NY
I feel like I'm hallucinating when I see the Rangers having over 29 million dollars in cap space and have the 4th most cap space in the league.
Agreed maybe they’re gearing up for 2019 UFA Seguin Karlsson for sure.. will be interesting..

It’s wild being so close to the draft not many rumors.. I’m preparing to see some wild trades tomorrow and unexpected

Reactions: Lays and NYRKING30

NYRKING30

Apr 29, 2011
NYC
Agreed maybe they’re gearing up for 2019 UFA Seguin Karlsson for sure.. will be interesting..

It’s wild being so close to the draft not many rumors.. I’m preparing to see some wild trades tomorrow and unexpected
Seguin is one guy I would def go after if here to even make it to free agency. Im not really interested in EK for the contract that he's going to command.

With that said, we are at the collecting assets stage of the rebuilding process. It just feels great to have so much flexibility which gives us so much more options to do different things. We never have this. Not this much and never at the same time. Tomorrow is a very important day for this franchise.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
That worries me ... passing on talent because of intangibles.

There were 56 players in the league last season who scored 25+ goals.

You don’t produce that much in the NHL without talent.

25+ goal scorers with size, net presence, and leadership are incredibly rare.

Tkachuk doesn’t have the offensive flare that Wahlstrom and Zadina have, but he’s without a doubt talented offensively. He’s not going to be a third line grinder, if that’s your concern.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
I don't see the Rangers trading Marc Staal or him waiving the NMC, but a

Coyle, Folgino, Ennis

for

Staal, Vesey/Names

Trade helps both teams. Minn wants defense, and can sign 4th liners to make up for their forward depth (Ennis isn't a "loss"). Foligno is an overpaid 4th liner, but brings an element the Rangers lack. Coyle has a lot more upside than he's shown.

Vesey/Names helps replace one of the forward they lost, and gives them cap space to sign UFAs. Vesey would offer more cap space to a team wanting to contend and switch up their roster significantly.

Staal covers a backend that wants to compete in the playoffs, but only has 3 defensemen they trust on the backend.

Keep or buyout Ennis, don't care either way, he can be good dead space since it's just a year. Foligno is really the guy that stings, but he does add forward depth. If you carry Ennis this year, and buyout Foligno next year, the hit is minimal <$1M to a little above. But you rid yourself of Staal and his cap hit, allowing you to compete faster.

I think with Hajek & Lindgren, you'll have a kid pushing for a spot, and they can always sign a depth guy on a short term deal to fill in for Staal while the kids cook a bit, like a Manning or Sbisa on a one year deal to keep the bench warm.

A deal like this wouldn't happen at the draft. Post-July 1st, but again Staal. NMC.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Lams will land Karlsson this weekend. You watch. A guy we could use to hold down our blueline for the next 7 years easy. He’s that good.

Islanders will get him and a goalie and bring back Tavares while We try and trade for Adam Fox

Reactions: wafflepadsave

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
Lams will land Karlsson this weekend. You watch. A guy we could use to hold down our blueline for the next 7 years easy. He’s that good.

Islanders will get him and a goalie and bring back Tavares while We try and trade for Adam Fox
Go to the Islanders forum them, because not only is that highly unlikely but absolutely no one here gives a damn

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
Wahlstrom’s all around game is underrated. He floats a little and is not 100% engaged sometimes but when he tries, he’s good defensively and can throw big hits. His effort level needs to step up quite a bit and if it does, he’ll be a beast. Wahlstrom is exactly what we need (RHS sniper)
Also a very unpopular opinion-Wahlstrom>Zadina

Side note- I’m stoked for this draft. I cannot sleep or stop thinking about the possibilities. There’s a huge graduation party I’m invited to tomorrow but the draft comes first, I’m taking off of work Saturday as well to follow along with this draft.
Do not want Boqvist or Bouchard, anyone else I would be very happy with. Also-I mentioned this a while ago but now it’s more likely to happen (because he’s falling on lists apparently) I still cannot shake this feeling that Zadina will end up a Ranger. I’m not a huge fan or anything but I’ve weirdly dreamed about this 2-3 times and he just feels like a Ranger. I think we add one more Czech player this draft and gut feeling says Zadina or Pekar.

After seeing the bold, avoid!

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ

No, Lou will blow a fortune on John Carlson and decimate that franchise trying to get to the 2nd round. You really haven’t kept up with him lately, have you?

Reactions: TheTakedown
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad