Speculation: Roster Building Thread Part XV: Trading up or down? - Mod Warning post #450

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
Listening to Gorts... I heard that they could move up if a player they want drops... almost like they know they have a deal in Place IFFFFFFFF that happens

Maybe my poker skills aren’t what they used to be. I dunno

Reactions: RGY and GregSirico

NYRKING30

Apr 29, 2011
NYC
I'd say 20 goals is definitely a possibility..I just think he's gonna be a 40+ assist guy. He's such a tremendous passer
Yeah I agree thats a big strength to his game. I just think as he gets a little older and still fills out his body he's gonna be a guy around the net and will be able to get you the dirty goals as well. Just curious, do you think Matt is better then Brady or vice versa?

NYRKING30

Apr 29, 2011
NYC
Listening to Gorts... I heard that they could move up if a player they want drops... almost like they know they have a deal in Place IFFFFFFFF that happens

Maybe my poker skills aren’t what they used to be. I dunno
Where did you see/hear this? Unless your referring to what he's previously already said.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Yeah I agree thats a big strength to his game. I just think as he gets a little older and still fills out his body he's gonna be a guy around the net and will be able to get you the dirty goals as well. Just curious, do you think Matt is better then Brady or vice versa?
It's hard to say...matt played with way better players so put up bigger numbers. Personally I think Brady's passing is just so good for a guy who plays his game. I'd say Brady's upside is higher.

Reactions: Lays and NYRKING30

GregSirico

KakkoSZN
Jan 3, 2012
Atlanta
twitter.com
Tkachuk is a very talented player. He might not have 35+ goal upside like a Wahlstrom or Zadina, but he's a high-level play maker who can impact the game in multiple ways. I don't think 25/40 seasons are at all unrealistic for his upside and his floor is likely a 2nd line winger who still brings all of the grit and intangibles he's known for.
That worries me ... passing on talent because of intangibles.

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
What do folks feel about Charlie Coyle?

Lots of Boston connections with him and the Rangers, and he's on the market.
Why in the world would we do that when we could just keep Hayes (who is better)... We aren't trading for a 26 year old tweener Center.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
What? When has he ever shown this?

Some of you questioned whether McDonagh might be a top pairing D when he was at one point a clear top 10 D in the league. Skjei is well behind where McDonagh was at the same point in his career. We'll be lucky if Skjei ever becomes a top 62 D. I'm not frankly convinced it'll happen. Right now he's a second pairing guy.

And the problem here is not Skjei. Good hockey player. No reason to give away, but should be available for the right deal, like everyone on the team. The issue is that we don't have much defensive talent, so a player like Skjei takes on more value to our D. Thats more about the defense than Skjei. He might be the worst "best D on the team" in the league.
He was by far the best defenseman on the ice in the 2017 playoffs for this team and probably in the Montreal series maybe the best defenseman on the ice period. Btw carrying along Smith (who i believe you are not a big fan of) Thats when he showed it. He's as close to first pairing dman as this team has.

LaffyTaffy

Brooklyn-Belarussian
Feb 1, 2016
Brooklyn, NY
If Wahlstrom falls to 9 I will jump with joy if we take him. Also I think we should explore a trade for Parayko if there is a deal to be made that benefits us. I think he is exactly what we need.

Reactions: NYRKING30

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
All true.

There’s no one like him in this draft and few players in the NHL like him.

That’s the appeal, even if he never scores 40 or even 30 goals.

I may be speaking out of turn here since I know very little about this draft, but it sounds like he's a good all around player. I just don't think that jacks of all trades are really ever the type of player you hope for at #9 in an excellent draft. I know it's #9, not #3, but it doesn't sound like he has star qualities. Ryan Callahan was a jack of all trades. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

GregSirico

KakkoSZN
Jan 3, 2012
Atlanta
twitter.com
They wouldn’t be doing that. There are people that have Tkachuk as high as 2nd. He is a unique combination of size, skating and skill, and can be an impact player in many different ways on a nightly basis.
Yes but there is a drop off in his shot v that of Zadina and Wahlstrom. For a team that's looking for elite talent, you would think they would value this higher.

NYRKING30

Apr 29, 2011
NYC
It's hard to say...matt played with way better players so put up bigger numbers. Personally I think Brady's passing is just so good for a guy who plays his game. I'd say Brady's upside is higher.
Haha for me I just love Matt. I didn't watch him prior to the NHL whereas I have seen plenty of Brady so I can't really judge which is why i wanted to ask you.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
I may be speaking out of turn here since I know very little about this draft, but it sounds like he's a good all around player. I just don't think that jacks of all trades are really ever the type of player you hope for at #9 in an excellent draft. I know it's #9, not #3, but it doesn't sound like he has star qualities. Ryan Callahan was a jack of all trades. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

He is a unique combination of size, skill and skating. He’s an impact player on a nightly basis. He’s got great vision and soft hands. That’s not Ryan Callahan.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
Except that's not at all what they'd be doing. They'd be drafting an extremely talented player who happens to have great intangibles as well. As opposed to the guy who might have higher offensive potential, but doesn't do much of anything else.

I spent a night listening to NHL Radio. EVERYONE loves this kid. He’s got the frame to be a physical beast. If he’s the target of Gorton and company, I’m completely fine with it.

Reactions: Mac n Gs and Trxjw
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->