Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part XLVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Guhle is showing up in more and more top 15s or top 12s. Been hearing a lot about him lately.
I remember reading an article from the Athletic earlier in the year from Scott Wheeler that some of the teams he talked to had Guhle ranked as the second best D in this draft

So not surprising he's rising a bit

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
I agree with that but I'm not talking about what would normally happen.

The way JD talk about him was as if he shocked him. It's one thing if JD said, 'He showed good progress.. blah blah... process.. ' He really emphasised how good he looked. REALLY GOOD.

So, maybe people will be shocked he makes the team.

I won’t be

Reactions: AlexisLafreNYR

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC

They aren't trading the pick either.

Really I'd say that this team needs 5 pieces to really be complete (IMO, from most important to least)

- 1LD
- A center who is not necessarily a star, but someone who is a 3 zone player and can kill penalties (ideally.)
- 3LD (This can be dealt with in house)
- Middle six big body banger who doesn't suck
- 4th line forward with some grit/can also kill penalties/doesn't suck.

I don't think it's too much to ask for them to fill at least 4 of those between now and the beginning of the season (one of the top 2 and the rest.) I'd prioritize the LD as A. Even if we're deep with LD in the system these guys take MUCH longer to develop into minute eating players and B. its the tougher hole to shelter. Panarin can carry a line, but I'd rather he play with someone who doesn't bring nothing to the table other than not getting in Panarin's way, but as long as he plays the way he did for most of the year, we're okay here.

Maybe Fil (if he stays) steps up and crushes it from here on out (he's shown glimpses) which would make life easier but these are the things separating this team from being where they are and being a contender (along with time.)

They might not fill 4 of those before the season starts, but I do expect a couple moves. JD said we need to be patient. You don't just make moves because you need to make moves. If it's not the right fit you are only setting yourself up for failure. The team is still building...we are probably not contending next season. That doesn't mean you do nothing, but you bide your time, ready to pounce when the right opportunity presents itself. We are well on our way.

Reactions: Riche16

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I remember reading an article from the Athletic earlier in the year from Scott Wheeler that some of the teams he talked to had Guhle ranked as the second best D in this draft

So not surprising he's rising a bit

I think everyone views Drysdale as the best defenseman in the draft today, but there is quite a bit of varying opinion on who will be better 2 years from now or 5 years from now.

Sanderson gets a lot of votes and Guhle has his share of fans as well.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Miller is such an amazing athletes he could probably push physically.

I don’t know if the processing game is quite there yet though, and that might make for some interesting extremes.

But the kid will be completely focused on hockey and that makes him a dangerous candidate.

I'm excited to see what happens when he's Deadlifting and Squatting with Kreider.

Reactions: HatTrick Swayze

Gospel of Prospal

America's Team
May 29, 2010
New York City
Is Guerin dumb enough to do something like #9 and Zuccarello (33% retained) for Lias and #20?

I would really love Zucc to finish his career in New York. I think he'd be great for the youngsters like Laf and Kakko, but IDK, I don't think there's room for him as ANOTHER winger and with his salary, yeah, not a good fit.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
What LDs are on the way and are knocking on the door? And which are going to be quite good? You HOPE that Miller is quite good. You have no idea. The kid is pretty raw. Besides that, who else?

Miller and Robertson are the main 2 games for me following by Jones. but yes that is based on hope and they are probably a year + from being in the NHL, maybe 3+ years away from being good established players approaching their potential...so I like the long term future but it definitely will take some time to do it internally...

and note my goal is to build a championship blueline, the lower bar of being better than staal at this point does not move the needle when it comes to rushing a prospect.

Reactions: Cag29

SnowFort

Mar 5, 2017
Yeah, I would prefer a trade. With Tampa’s situation, it probably wouldn’t take *that* much either.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
I remain bewildered over the stress to add an expensive mid-20's LD.

Unless he's elite, what's the point?

We have like 4 LDs on the way... some of them are going to be quite good.

I think that comes from the idea that Trouba needs a partner and there is no way any of the LD now or future will work with him. People seem to want to recreate the Girardi/Staal 1st pairing from back when they were pretty okay.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad