Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part XLVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

SnowFort

Mar 5, 2017
After looking at Tampa’s cap situation, with all their NTC’s and such, I think I’m firmly on the Cirelli wagon. Whether that be by trade or offer sheet.

And he’s only 23, too.

Reactions: brians1128

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
In hearing JD over the past few days, I keep hearing how he was patient in building both the Blues and Blue Jackets. What I realized when he was talking about both those teams, is the similarity in both structure and style that the play. Those are both meat and potatoes teams, that are big and fast, not the most skilled, but very aggressive on the forecheck.
I believe we currently have a finesse team, with not much bite or sandpaper. I'm 100% convinced and to @Edge's point, about future trades that will see more skill traded for "harder to play against players". The trade proposals I see posted here are all similar to the types of players we currently have...

Trade up for Dylan Holloway confirmed.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
After looking at Tampa’s cap situation, with all their NTC’s and such, I think I’m firmly on the Cirelli wagon. Whether that be by trade or offer sheet.

And he’s only 23, too.
IMO I think he's a target for Gorton.

It comes down to price

IF Cirelli is traded for, you could lock him up to a 5ish year contract at a modest cap hit. Once he plays with Panarin his numbers should go up dramatically.

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
Has it been mentioned that Morgan Barron's brother Justin, a RD, projects to be available around our 2nd pick?

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
The way JD was gushing about Miller... it sounds like he'll be given every opportunity to play here next season...

Kreider taking him under his wing, could further support that

He could easily replace Staal
Gushing about him and having Miller be ready to be an NHL starter are two different things. Miller needs development time, IMO. And quite possibly more than just 1 year. In fact, I would say that is probably the case. You cannot rush him. I would like to replace Staal as well, but this kid is probably not ready to be the replacement.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
I can’t see us spending big money on a 2C. Consider Lafreniere or Panarin the center on the second line The game will flow thru them whichever guy plays there. That’s where the money will go. You are going to have 4 star forwards. Mika Panarin Kakko Lafreniere. Hard to pay another guy big money up front.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
We have Miller on the step and Robertsson, Reunanen on the way. If not Chytil, do we have a single player that even projects as a 2C? I don’t think so.

I remain bewildered over the stress to add an expensive mid-20's LD.

Unless he's elite, what's the point?

We have like 4 LDs on the way... some of them are going to be quite good.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
We have like 4 LDs on the way... some of them are going to be quite good.
What LDs are on the way and are knocking on the door? And which are going to be quite good? You HOPE that Miller is quite good. You have no idea. The kid is pretty raw. Besides that, who else?

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
If I'm the Rangers I'm not trading Lafreniere.

I understand it would be very hard to walk away from let's say Ottawa offering 3/5 and Brady Tkachuk but other then McDavid, Eichel, Crosby all centers and OV the expectation is that Lafreniere is just a cut below the " elite " possible 100 point player--future captain with his leadership abilities.

Draft Lafreniere trade from within ( Buch, ADA, Strome and/or Carolina's pick ) for a LD or 2 line center. We have the pieces we could move to make us even stronger now we just need the right dance partner with the pieces we need back.

Rome wasn't built in a day but adding Lafreniere is a great start to what we have already accomplished now pick up one piece at a time and were ready to roll into the future.

Future is bright hopefully we are all wearing shades....

They aren't trading the pick either.

Really I'd say that this team needs 5 pieces to really be complete (IMO, from most important to least)

- 1LD
- A center who is not necessarily a star, but someone who is a 3 zone player and can kill penalties (ideally.)
- 3LD (This can be dealt with in house)
- Middle six big body banger who doesn't suck
- 4th line forward with some grit/can also kill penalties/doesn't suck.

I don't think it's too much to ask for them to fill at least 4 of those between now and the beginning of the season (one of the top 2 and the rest.) I'd prioritize the LD as A. Even if we're deep with LD in the system these guys take MUCH longer to develop into minute eating players and B. its the tougher hole to shelter. Panarin can carry a line, but I'd rather he play with someone who doesn't bring nothing to the table other than not getting in Panarin's way, but as long as he plays the way he did for most of the year, we're okay here.

Maybe Fil (if he stays) steps up and crushes it from here on out (he's shown glimpses) which would make life easier but these are the things separating this team from being where they are and being a contender (along with time.)

Reactions: Leetch3

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
What LDs are on the way and are knocking on the door? And which are going to be quite good? You HOPE that Miller is quite good. You have no idea. The kid is pretty raw. Besides that, who else?
Well we've seen a lot more from the names being mentioned in the past few pages. Either they are marquee and will cost us, or they don't have first-pairing upside. So if Miller can step in comfortably to third-pairing minutes next season, it doesn't make a lot of sense to go get a Dunn or an Edmundson, who aren't going to do well with 1st pair minutes.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
I can’t see us spending big money on a 2C. Consider Lafreniere or Panarin the center on the second line The game will flow thru them whichever guy plays there. That’s where the money will go. You are going to have 4 star forwards. Mika Panarin Kakko Lafreniere. Hard to pay another guy big money up front.
Say you trade for Cirelli. I'd lock him up for 8 years at $5-5.5 million per year. I like him that much. More than feasible if Strome is dealt and especially if Lundqvist retires.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
This mock draft on NHL.com has Lundell picked by 9 or 10. Hard to see him still available at 20, our best case scenario barring a trade.

Mock 2020 NHL Draft: Lafreniere to Rangers, Wild get No. 9 pick

I think you may be starting to see certain teams interests slip out a little.

Minnesota with Lundell.

New Jersey with Holtz.

Guhle is showing up in more and more top 15s or top 12s. Been hearing a lot about him lately.

Jarvis is climbing, which also reflects what I’ve been told recently.

Reactions: Ranger Spice

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Gushing about him and having Miller be ready to be an NHL starter are two different things. Miller needs development time, IMO. And quite possibly more than just 1 year. In fact, I would say that is probably the case. You cannot rush him. I would like to replace Staal as well, but this kid is probably not ready to be the replacement.
I agree with that but I'm not talking about what would normally happen.

The way JD talk about him was as if he shocked him. It's one thing if JD said, 'He showed good progress.. blah blah... process.. ' He really emphasised how good he looked. REALLY GOOD.

So, maybe people will be shocked he makes the team.

Reactions: Kovalev27

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC

uhh Matt Robertson should have been a first round pick and has shown nothing since to say otherwise. Very impressive young man

Lindgren already here HAJek is an option He’s at worst a third pair LD.

we have plenty no reason to spend money there we don’t have. Your top guys are on your right side. You’re going to need complementary guys on your left.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I agree with that but I'm not talking about what would normally happen.

The way JD talk about him was as if he shocked him. It's one thing if JD said, 'He showed good progress.. blah blah... process.. ' He really emphasised how good he looked. REALLY GOOD. So, maybe people will be shocked he makes the team.

Miller is such an amazing athlete he could probably push physically.

I don’t know if the processing game is quite there yet though, and that might make for some interesting extremes.

But the kid will be completely focused on hockey and that makes him a dangerous candidate.

Last edited:
Reactions: Leetch3
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad