Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part XLVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I think that's a lot to give up for a guy who could walk for nothing in a year regardless of whether or not he fits in. Just knowing his skill set, I think he's best suited to support a guy like Dumba as he has during his resurgence over the last year or so. I think you need a guy who can transition the puck more effectively paired with Trouba, otherwise I expect to see them stuck in their own end quite a bit.

There's no real reason to break up Lindgren and Fox. Keep them together regardless. If you can get the right partner for Trouba, great. Push Smith down to the bottom pairing. If you can't but can add a guy like Dermott, who I mentioned before, then you put him on the bottom pairing and experiment. Play Smith with Trouba but try Dermott there on occasion. Maybe you catch lightning in a bottle, maybe you don't, but at least this way you have some contractual control over the player.
The Rangers have too much invested in Trouba to not get him a better partner this offseason. That would be negligent. Dermott would be nice, but don’t think the Rangers match up well with Toronto. What kind of price tags would you have there? Would probably have to give Carolina 1st. Not sure I do that. The rental market and FA market for LHD is not great.

Michal

Apr 12, 2019
Warsaw, Poland
@Savant why do you think Brodin won't be available for Seattle? Teams cannot expose players who are UFA in 2021 but Seattle still can choose them.

Lack of the contract for 2021-22 means a team will not be able to expose Brodin, but Seattle can take him (Seattle can pick one of: two exposed forwards, one exposed defenseman, one exposed goalie (all of them have to be under contract for 2021-22) or any other player who is not protected or is not a first or second year nhler).

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
@Savant why do you think Brodin won't be available for Seattle? Teams cannot expose players who are UFA in 2021 but Seattle still can choose them.

Lack of the contract for 2021-22 means a team will not be able to expose Brodin, but Seattle can take him (Seattle can pick one of: two exposed forwards, one exposed defenseman, one exposed goalie (all of them have to be under contract for 2021-22) or any other player who is not protected or is not a first or second year nhler).
I didn’t say Seattle couldn’t take him. I said the Rangers would not have to protect him.

Reactions: Leetch3

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
I mean if that’s all it takes. Does Toronto do that though? Hard to say. Think they try to move someone pricier.
It shouldn’t take that much I mean he isn’t anything special. Just a defensively solid guy who puts up no points.

Keep in mind: Toronto has no 1st and no 3rd this year.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012

Seattle can not "take" a pending UFA. Until the UFA period starts, the team would still have exclusive negotiating rights with their player. In this situation, Seattle would also have rights to negotiate with the pending UFA, and if they sign the player, he would count as their choice from that team, but they can not "take" him.

This would potentially allow the team who has Brodin's rights to only protect 3 defensemen, allowing them to protect 7 forwards, while having a handshake agreement to sign Brodin after the ED.

Reactions: Michal

Michal

Apr 12, 2019
Warsaw, Poland
Seattle can not "take" a pending UFA. Until the UFA period starts, the team would still have exclusive negotiating rights with their player. In this situation, Seattle would also have rights to negotiate with the pending UFA, and if they sign the player, he would count as their choice from that team, but they can not "take" him.

This would potentially allow the team who has Brodin's rights to only protect 3 defensemen, allowing them to protect 7 forwards, while having a handshake agreement to sign Brodin after the ED.

Ok, thank you for the explanation :)

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
If the Rangers are going to trade for a quality second line center (or someone who can grow into that role), it almost certainly means DeAngelo will be used in a trade. Centers don’t grow on trees. You are not going to get that caliber player for spare parts. Vegas is clearly an option that make sense and I am sure there are others. If there’s no value for value deal available, I expect Tony to be here next year.

Beyond that, I expect 1 or 2 buyouts to create salary cap room. Depending on how much money that frees up I look for the Rangers to resign Fast on a 1 or 2 year contract, Strome on a one year contract and 1 or 2 stopgap veteran defensemen to be signed. Edmundson or Dillon possibilities here.

Bottom line is I expect a busy off season but more geared to short term signings rather than wholesale deals.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
The Rangers have too much invested in Trouba to not get him a better partner this offseason. That would be negligent. Dermott would be nice, but don’t think the Rangers match up well with Toronto. What kind of price tags would you have there? Would probably have to give Carolina 1st. Not sure I do that. The rental market and FA market for LHD is not great.

I hear what you're saying but I don't think that the alarm is sounding just yet. Trouba is only 26 and we have him for 6 more years. I think they can experiment a little bit more if needed. I of course would love the perfect partner to fall into our laps, but it might not be in the cards.

As far as Dermott, I don't think he'd be cost prohibitive. Leafs could use some cap space and a number of LD already in the fold. The Carolina 1st might be the right value if they end up in the conference final, but if it stays in the early 20's I think it's too much. Around 23-25 is when I think there's a bit of a drop in quality. Maybe they'd be interested in Georgiev given that Andersson flaked out again in the post-season. Maybe they like Lias Andersson as a guy they can sit on for a year. Who knows?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad