Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part XLVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood
In hearing JD over the past few days, I keep hearing how he was patient in building both the Blues and Blue Jackets. What I realized when he was talking about both those teams, is the similarity in both structure and style that the play. Those are both meat and potatoes teams, that are big and fast, not the most skilled, but very aggressive on the forecheck.
I believe we currently have a finesse team, with not much bite or sandpaper. I'm 100% convinced and to @Edge's point, about future trades that will see more skill traded for "harder to play against players". The trade proposals I see posted here are all similar to the types of players we currently have...

Lindgren
Lemmy
TDA
Kreider sometimes
Buch sometimes
Troubda

Those boys are not easy to play against and can rough you up and get in your head.

Reactions: PuckLuck3043

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood
By the way I’m watching the US Canada WJC game and it was a very sleepy start for Canada they fell behind 1-0 early. Lafreniere comes out and throws 3 monster checks on one shift which ignited the team two more Canadians follow his lead and throw big hits. And Canada is now pressuring for 10 mins. A lot of it generated by Lafreniere who must have set up 3 chances at least. One of which was absolutely walking KAndre and setting up a guy in the slot. Probably 4 chances actually.

spencer knight some Really big saves and then late US scores 2-0.

18 min mark Lafreniere first shift of the second period he buries an American into his own bench.
Canada scores 2 mins later. 2-1.

we all know how this game ends Lafreniere puts up the game winner and 2 assists but that physical play is out of the messier ovechkin playbook of putting your mark on the game and setting the tone. Tremendous player.

Just drooled through my mask in public.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
You cannot pay Strome or Buchnevich with the potential franchise players you have coming. You’re going to need every dollar. Those two just can’t take up cap space. They’re expendable

Lafreniere elc bonuses could be an issue very quickly. As can Kakkos.

the writing is on the wall for both. And most likely Fast as well

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
I actually can’t fathom the Eichel talk. Does no one see what’s currently happening to the Toronto Maple Leafs? Ya know, 4 players tying up the majority of their cap space ? Absolutely no possible way to become a deep team?

Dumb.

not saying that a deal for eichel is right but with regards to the leafs cap situation just going to point out that their top 4 guys (matthews, tavares, marner & nylander) take up 49.7% of the cap. the penguins won back to back cups in 2016 & 2017 with 4 guys (malkin, crosby, kessel & letang) taking up 45.8% and 46.8% of the cap.

so you can pay a big % to your main core and still win if you have good scouting and development to surround those guys with cheaper guys.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
I think everyone is gonna hit up Ottawa lol

Gonna have to pay someone to take Smith IMO so adding an Andersson may be needed ... get a later pick back the Sens have tons

Melnyk is the cheapest owner in the world he won't be taking on contracts no matter how much of a good idea it is for that team right now.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
not saying that a deal for eichel is right but with regards to the leafs cap situation just going to point out that their top 4 guys (matthews, tavares, marner & nylander) take up 49.7% of the cap. the penguins won back to back cups in 2016 & 2017 with 4 guys (malkin, crosby, kessel & letang) taking up 45.8% and 46.8% of the cap.

so you can pay a big % to your main core and still win if you have good scouting and development to surround those guys with cheaper guys.

Toronto's best players are soft as butter outside of Tavares. You can't even compare those two teams with seriousness.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
Toronto's best players are soft as butter outside of Tavares. You can't even compare those two teams with seriousness.

I was comparing the cap % of the top 4 guys ONLY in response to toronto being proof that you can't spend that much $$ on your top 4 guys and then expect to build a team deep enough to contend...toronto is proof that you can't spend that $$ on the wrong guys and then do a poor job surrounding them with the remaining cap space.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
You cannot pay Strome or Buchnevich with the potential franchise players you have coming. You’re going to need every dollar. Those two just can’t take up cap space. They’re expendable
Not really sure how they are "expendable", BUT I do believe that for the short and medium term (beyond this upcoming year and for the three after), only two of DeAngelo, Strome or Buchnevich are here. Beyond that, chances are only one.

Who should stay or go has been debated ad nauseum, but I think that it all will start with what kind of pay day DeAngelo will be looking for. From there the dominos will fall. I will also say that another domino which can set off a different course of events is if Chytil does not take a decent step forward this year.

howztheglass

Jan 27, 2009
If I'm the Rangers I'm not trading Lafreniere.

I understand it would be very hard to walk away from let's say Ottawa offering 3/5 and Brady Tkachuk but other then McDavid, Eichel, Crosby all centers and OV the expectation is that Lafreniere is just a cut below the " elite " possible 100 point player--future captain with his leadership abilities.

Draft Lafreniere trade from within ( Buch, ADA, Strome and/or Carolina's pick ) for a LD or 2 line center. We have the pieces we could move to make us even stronger now we just need the right dance partner with the pieces we need back.

Rome wasn't built in a day but adding Lafreniere is a great start to what we have already accomplished now pick up one piece at a time and were ready to roll into the future.

Future is bright hopefully we are all wearing shades....

Reactions: broadwayblue

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
I was comparing the cap % of the top 4 guys ONLY in response to toronto being proof that you can't spend that much $$ on your top 4 guys and then expect to build a team deep enough to contend...toronto is proof that you can't spend that $$ on the wrong guys and then do a poor job surrounding them with the remaining cap space.

It doesn't hurt to have the best player in the world who is capable of making 3rd liners look like stars. That team because they had sid is an anomaly, its just not something that you can expect to work.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
Melnyk is the cheapest owner in the world he won't be taking on contracts no matter how much of a good idea it is for that team right now.

You can if it adds to the cap and the actually dollars are less. Smith is cheaper w his bonus paid but yea NYR would likely have to eat the Gaborik deal or take a player back

Reactions: DutchShamrock

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
If I'm the Rangers I'm not trading Lafreniere.

I understand it would be very hard to walk away from let's say Ottawa offering 3/5 and Brady Tkachuk but other then McDavid, Eichel, Crosby all centers and OV the expectation is that Lafreniere is just a cut below the " elite " possible 100 point player--future captain with his leadership abilities.

Draft Lafreniere trade from within ( Buch, ADA, Strome and/or Carolina's pick ) for a LD or 2 line center. We have the pieces we could move to make us even stronger now we just need the right dance partner with the pieces we need back.

Rome wasn't built in a day but adding Lafreniere is a great start to what we have already accomplished now pick up one piece at a time and were ready to roll into the future.

Future is bright hopefully we are all wearing shades....

Im not trading him either but i seriously doubt ottawa would make that offer at this point in their build either so i don't think the options against taking the pick are what people are making them out to be.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
You can if it adds to the cap and the actually dollars are less. Smith is cheaper w his bonus paid but yea NYR would likely have to eat the Gaborik deal or take a player back

Its cheaper for melnyx to put a player from the AHL roster on his team than to aquire smith.i dont see any way we can get cap space from melnyx

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
I agree with this and I am on the side of keeping Strome short term as well. My issue is that he isn't strong defensively and has a knack for taking stupid penalties quite frequently. Long term I would want someone with a better 2-way game in that position.

Also if the rangers can shore up their LD situation, it makes the defensive minded 2C less of an issue. So LD is really what should be attempted to be fixed first.
We have Miller on the step and Robertsson, Reunanen on the way. If not Chytil, do we have a single player that even projects as a 2C? I don’t think so.

Reactions: mschmidt64

TheTimTamSlammerMan

Jul 29, 2011
Long Island
By the way I’m watching the US Canada WJC game and it was a very sleepy start for Canada they fell behind 1-0 early. Lafreniere comes out and throws 3 monster checks on one shift which ignited the team two more Canadians follow his lead and throw big hits. And Canada is now pressuring for 10 mins. A lot of it generated by Lafreniere who must have set up 3 chances at least. One of which was absolutely walking KAndre and setting up a guy in the slot. Probably 4 chances actually.

spencer knight some Really big saves and then late US scores 2-0.

18 min mark Lafreniere first shift of the second period he buries an American into his own bench.
Canada scores 2 mins later. 2-1.

we all know how this game ends Lafreniere puts up the game winner and 2 assists but that physical play is out of the messier ovechkin playbook of putting your mark on the game and setting the tone. Tremendous player.

He’s a winner, no doubt about it.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
We have Miller on the step and Robertsson, Reunanen on the way. If not Chytil, do we have a single player that even projects as a 2C? I don’t think so.

Does the team believe in Ruenanen cause to me it’s him and Hajek that need to bump Smith/Staal

Need to draft a C w the Carolina 1st IMO

I could see trading for a C and Chytil to RW

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
The way JD was gushing about Miller... it sounds like he'll be given every opportunity to play here next season...

Kreider taking him under his wing, could further support that

He could easily replace Staal

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
I would be very surprised if K'Andre made the team out of camp next season. He still is quite raw. If there was no COVID I would have wanted him to spend another year in college from a hockey perspective. He still has lots to learn. Throwing him into the fire of the NHL because Staal is a dumpster fire would be a mistake. Sign a vet to a one year deal to insulate Miller, Hajek, Reunanen, etc. on the left side unless the Rangers make a trade.

I think the Carolina 1st, just as the Winnipeg 1st was last year, is in play for help now. I'd call up Tampa and ask if they want Howden back along with Carolina 1st for Cirelli.

Strome gets dealt with Andersson in a package for another forward. Sign Girgensons to replace Howden on the 4th line. Buchnevich gets dealt with next summer. DeAngelo stays unless a really good offer comes along.

Lundqvist retires. Staal bought out. Fast walks. Kravtsov knocking on the door.

Lafreniere-Zibanejad-Kakko
Panarin-Cirelli-Buchnevich
Kreider-Chytil-Strome Trade/Kravtsov?
Lemieux-Girgensons-Barron/Gauthier

Lindgren-Fox
Smith-Trouba
UFA-DeAngelo
Hajek

Lots of options and moving parts...

The first line has the potential to be absolutely monstrous very, very soon. Then you have Panarin and Kreider as line drivers on your 2nd and 3rd line. Kreider next to Chytil could be a huge boon for the latter.

DutchShamrock

Nov 22, 2005
New Jersey
Its cheaper for melnyx to put a player from the AHL roster on his team than to aquire smith.i dont see any way we can get cap space from melnyx
I think there is a chance he adds a few contracts like Smith with empty cap. There were rumors of some teams slashing payroll with the prospect of no fans. They have a lot of expiring contracts, including LTIR cap eaters.

If Melynk wants to save money this season and acquire high picks, he can certainly get that payroll under the cap floor. I personally wouldn't move Smith given his lineup versatility, but that is a luxury we may not be able to afford. His real dollar savings versus actual cap hit could be enticing.

Bottom line is no one can really say how their cap floor shakes out because of the sheer amount of expiring deals. We can't even say how we will be given just a handful of deals and potential retirements.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
How much would Hayton cost?

Probably not something we'd be willing to give up. Don't think a current roster player outside of guys like Fox or Kakko (which would force Arizona to add) would interest the Coyotes. We don't have a player that would be available to make that kind of move. If it is prospect swaps, probably begins with Kravtsov, Miller, or Lundkvist and there would probably need to be an add on the NYR side.

Either way, I cannot see Arizona moving Hayton short of being overpaid for him. Our center situation might lead me to believe they could pay that price, but I think we're looking to fill the 2C role with Chytil long term and in the short term finding someone that is on a good contract that can slide down to 3C when Chytil makes the jump.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005

Lafreniere elc bonuses could be an issue very quickly. As can Kakkos.

the writing is on the wall for both. And most likely Fast as well

That's why they should be traded.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad