Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part XLVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

rangers1314

May 9, 2007
Astoria, NY
Let's leave Zuccarello in Minnesota.

Plus didnt he say that he choose to go to the western conf in part b/c he only had to play the Rangers once a year? Or something like that?

I doubt he'd want to comeback. It doesn't sound like he's very fond of the current regime.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Lindholm in Calgary moves the needle more for me than Cirelli, especially since it’s known the Rangers have inquired about him before, and weren’t necessarily rebuffed in their interest.
I'd be more than happy with either... Lindholm would cost more

Reactions: Leetch3

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
Ryan Strome for Mats Zuccarello (with $2m retained) + MIN 1st '20
I dont think they do that without our 2nd pick in place. @Ranger Spice makes a good point that even with our current holes at F, there isnt really a long-term slot for MZA. Kakko should be producing at a top-six level soon enough. Hopefully Gauthier can step up also.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
Miller is going to be given every chance to make the Rangers next season, but he's probably going to be ticketed for the AHL.

One thing which is probably good for the Rangers is that all their younger LHD are going to be playing soon. Rykov being in the KHL means he's going to be in games. Is Reunanen still at Lukko? They are slated to begin in October. Wonder if they'll pull them both back over when NHL camp is set to start or just let them keep going where they are.

Robertson got a long look last year too. Will he be in NHL camp or if the World Juniors are going on, is he slated to get a spot on Canada? It's taking place in Edmonton and Red Deer. Edmonton has the bubble now, will they set one up for the WJC if they have to? I'd think they would, even without fans potentially. Have to think Robertson is high on Canada's list of players.

I also don't think the plan is to have Staal AND Smith be on their defense opening night for next season. If it is, all the other moves they could make would be for naught. I could see one of them, depending on what happens with these young guys. Both being out there just sets the rest of the team back.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Plus didnt he say that he choose to go to the western conf in part b/c he only had to play the Rangers once a year? Or something like that?

I doubt he'd want to comeback. It doesn't sound like he's very fond of the current regime.
He’s torched the Rangers and been salty about them moving him since before it even happened

Would never want him back on this roster

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
uhh Matt Robertson should have been a first round pick and has shown nothing since to say otherwise. Very impressive young man

Lindgren already here HAJek is an option He’s at worst a third pair LD.

we have plenty no reason to spend money there we don’t have. Your top guys are on your right side. You’re going to need complementary guys on your left.
While we're on the subject, I'll place a wager that Robertson is more likely to make the team for the 2020-21 season than Miller is.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
uhh Matt Robertson should have been a first round pick and has shown nothing since to say otherwise. Very impressive young man

Lindgren already here HAJek is an option He’s at worst a third pair LD.

we have plenty no reason to spend money there we don’t have. Your top guys are on your right side. You’re going to need complementary guys on your left.

I think the argument here is the value of being stacked down the right side as opposed to spreading it out a bit more in terms of balance...i'm a big Tony D fan but given that our top d prospect (and arguably our best prospect overall not in the nhl) is a RHD (lundkvist is a stud). there is definitely value in allocating ADA's $$ to an equivalent level LHD to set it up so you are allocating the same $$ to the blueline but more of it is concentrated into the top 4.

finding that guy who is available is another story of course...

Reactions: DutchShamrock

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Which would you prefer to keep, assuming they play predominantly at RW:

Strome
4 years @ $5m per season

Buch
1 year @ $3.25m
4 years @ $5m per season

I have a hard time with this because while I prefer Buch as the all-around player, I do value the fact that Strome, in a pinch, could easily fill in as a center has needed which as value.

I would prefer Buch, but there's no chance that Strome gets a 4 year deal. If he sticks around, it will be 2 years at most, and I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up signing his QO.

Reactions: kovazub94

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Especially with JD providing PR. JD is a master at getting the Rangers’ talking points circulated.
There's something there...

He brought up Miller when asked about being swept :laugh: he glanced over Kakko and Howden but emphasized Miller. (Might be over analyzing but it's summer )

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
After looking at Tampa’s cap situation, with all their NTC’s and such, I think I’m firmly on the Cirelli wagon. Whether that be by trade or offer sheet.

And he’s only 23, too.

We have our own cap issues to deal with.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Which would you prefer to keep, assuming they play predominantly at RW:

Strome
4 years @ $5m per season

Buch
1 year @ $3.25m
4 years @ $5m per season

I have a hard time with this because while I prefer Buch as the all-around player, I do value the fact that Strome, in a pinch, could easily fill in as a center has needed which as value.

Buch for me. Once Strome is not a placeholder in 2C spot when Chytil is able to overtake him, I'm not sure Strome has a stong enough defensive game to supplement his (reduced away from Panarin) offensive contribution. At that point Buchnevich at this cost becomes more valuable to me.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
What LDs are on the way and are knocking on the door? And which are going to be quite good? You HOPE that Miller is quite good. You have no idea. The kid is pretty raw. Besides that, who else?

Is your whole schtick just pretending that we cannot know or project anything about the future?

I mean, is this a serious question? What LDs do we have in our system that are nearing NHL readiness? I thought you were a Ranger fan, you know the answer to that question.

If you think we don't have any good LD prospects in our system, maybe you are the one who should start rebuking common sense and tell us why they are not.

Last edited:

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
I think that comes from the idea that Trouba needs a partner and there is no way any of the LD now or future will work with him. People seem to want to recreate the Girardi/Staal 1st pairing from back when they were pretty okay.

Yes but you have to be forward looking as well. Don't lock yourself in to a contract or expenditure of assets when you have cheap guys who all project to be at least decent on the way.

Some of that means just suffering maybe being down a top pairing LD until they arrive. Not the same as tanking though.

Sometimes it also means looking ahead and projecting future logjams and trading to prevent those logjams.

Nothing is certain despite how much seem to want to refuse any moves without certainty, but it's all about projection.

Now the team may not be very risky this offseason but that's a separate debate.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Honestly i dont see either here long term. I see both here on short deals though as we transition players into the lineup. Lafrieniere basically pushed a winger out of our top 6 with Kreider likely moving to RW as he has done at times in the past. So having Buch on the 3rd line making 5 million wouldn't be smart, thats likely Gauthier or Kravtsovs spot for much cheaper. Strome is a really good stop gap for when Chytil, Barron, Hendrickson, maybe someone we haven't drafted or traded for yet , fills thats spot.

These both are fair points, except I am not 100% sure it would be this easy to simply plug Kreider at RW.

howztheglass

Jan 27, 2009
I think you may be starting to see certain teams interests slip out a little.

Minnesota with Lundell.

New Jersey with Holtz.

Guhle is showing up in more and more top 15s or top 12s. Been hearing a lot about him lately.

Jarvis is climbing, which also reflects what I’ve been told recently.

Funny how last week or so we were all going crazy if the Rangers drafted Guhle like BBkers mention with the 10 pick over some of our needs.

Our luck might have been once again losing out on a player that we really like in Lundell one spot before we drafted--not this year as the hockey ping pong gods were with us.

Lafreniere Baby...

Reactions: McSauer

howztheglass

Jan 27, 2009
Latest mock draft from the BleacherReport:

I like the 24th pick--but I highly doubt he's going be there at 24.

1. New York Rangers: LW Alexis Lafreniere, Rimouski (QMJHL)
2. Los Angeles Kings: C Quinton Byfield, Sudbury Wolves (OHL)
3. Ottawa Senators (via Sharks): C Tim Stutzle, Adler Mannheim (DEL)
4. Detroit Red Wings: D Jamie Drysdale, Erie (OHL)
5. Ottawa Senators: C Marco Rossi, Ottawa 67's (OHL)
6. Anaheim Ducks: C Cole Perfetti, Saginaw Spirit (OHL)
7. New Jersey Devils: LW Lucas Raymond, Frolunda HC (SHL)
8. Buffalo Sabres: RW Alexander Holtz, Djurgardens (SHL)
9. Minnesota Wild: RW Jack Quinn, Ottawa 67's (OHL)
10. Winnipeg Jets: F Dylan Holloway, Wisconsin Badgers (NCAA)
11. Nashville Predators: RW Dawson Mercer, Drummondville Voltigeurs (QMJHL)
12. Florida Panthers: D Kaiden Guhle, Prince Albert Raiders (WHL)
13. Carolina Hurricanes (via Maple Leafs): D Braden Schneider, Brandon Wheat Kings (WHL)
14. Edmonton Oilers: LW Rodion Amirov, Salavat Yulaev Ufa (KHL)
15. Pittsburgh Penguins: C Anton Lundell, HIFK (Liiga)
16. Montreal Canadiens: D Kaiden Guhle, Prince Albert (WHL)
17. Chicago Blackhawks: G Yaroslav Askarov, SKA Saint Petersburg (KHL)
18. New Jersey Devils (via Coyotes): RW Noel Gunler, Lulea HF (SHL)
19. Calgary Flames: D Braden Schneider, Brandon Wheat Kings (WHL)
20. New Jersey Devils (via Canucks): C Connor Zary, Kamloops Blazers (WHL)
21. Columbus Blue Jackets: C Jacob Perreault, Sarnia (OHL)
22. Ottawa Senators (via Islanders): C Hendrix Lapierre, Chicoutimi Sagueneens (QMJHL)
23. Dallas Stars: C Mavrik Bourque, Shawinigan Cataractes (QMJHL)
24. New York Rangers (via Hurricanes): RW Seth Jarvis, Portland Winterhawks (WHL)
25. Philadelphia Flyers: D, Yan Kuznetsov, UConn Huskies (NCAA)
26. San Jose Sharks (via Lightning): LW Lukas Reichel, Eisbaren Berlin (DEL)
27. Colorado Avalanche: D Justin Barron, Halifax Mooseheads (QMJHL)
28. Vegas Golden Knights: C Marat Khusnutdinov, St. Petersburg (MHL)
29. Washington Capitals: C Brendan Brisson, Chicago (USHL)
30. St. Louis Blues: D William Wallinder, Modo Hockey (HockeyAllsvenskan)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad