Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part XLV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
Now that Barron signed what is the depth chart on F in thwcpipe line w no contract yet ? Slim pickings? I’d draft 2 F in the 1st this year

Reactions: I Eat Crow

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Now that Barron signed, what is the depth chart on F in the pipeline w no contract yet? Slim pickings? ...

Pajuniemi, Henriksson, Aaltonen, Edstrom, Ciccolini, Hughes,
maybe i am forgetting other(s)?

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Dont ask ne to rush to judgement, not my way.
Aaltonen has played in tourneys for Finland, always gets raves for his speed, often raves for his offensive instincts
Both Edstrom and Ciccolini were deemed to have impressed in their D+1 seasons
And has a college pucks fan, i know better than to make assumptions based on freshman season. Hughes limted scoring stats might not be an indicator of his potential, that he played all 34 games is a positive.

The same scouts, who found Barron late, helped choose these guys.

Last edited:

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
RW: Pajuniemi, Ciccolini, Hughes
LW: Edstrom, Aaltonen
C: Henriksson

Edstrom has also played C, Ciccolini and Aaltonen have played both wings, and Henriksson was playing LW when he was in the SHL from what I recall. But those are their primary positions. Most of our forward prospects are under contract:

W: Kravtsov, Barron, Gauthier, Gettinger
C : Khodorenko, Richards, Rueschhoff

Barron could also end up at C and I don't think Rueschhoff stays at C.

There are of course lesser prospects--Ronning, Elmer, Gropp, Newell, Fontaine--but they may not all be here next year and they are real long shots at this point. And then there's also Lias Andersson, if you consider him a prospect at this point.

Damn are we weak up front :help:
Eh, but we have really young guys that have graduated like Chytil, Kakko, even potentially a Howden if puts it together, Kravtsov working on his game and hopefully maturing into form, and some of the good middle-six potential guys I listed like Gauthier, Barron, and Khodorenko. Plus I think Gettinger and Rueschhoff present intriguing bottom-six options. I think the forward core is in a decent shape, actually, given we have high-end talent on the roster and established.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Damn are we weak up front :help:

Not really. Half of our NHL forwards are 25 or younger and 4 of them are 22 or younger. And that doesn’t include Kravtsov, and hopefully Gettinger and Barron. And the UDFAs we signed this year.

We’ve got 4 picks in the top 90 (and maybe more depending on what happens with Georgiev and others). I’d expect that at least one of our first rounders will be a forward, if not both. I think we’re fine.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
Not really. Half of our NHL forwards are 25 or younger and 4 of them are 22 or younger. And that doesn’t include Kravtsov, and hopefully Gettinger and Barron. And the UDFAs we signed this year.

We’ve got 4 picks in the top 90 (and maybe more depending on what happens with Georgiev and others). I’d expect that at least one of our first rounders will be a forward, if not both. I think we’re fine.

Yea I agree the 2 firsts will help plus I’m gonna guess they will get a 2nd in a Georgiev deal . Not sure what Andersson gets but likely a pick this year too

Tob

Sep 16, 2017
Has EdJovanowski already discussed the ideal price for Virtanen?

Reactions: nyrage

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
We’re going to get 2 more first round talents very shortly. I’d be very surprised if they weren’t both forwards

Reactions: egelband

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Who will be Trouba's partner next year on the first pair? Not that Trouba is a 1D or 2D, but yeah, please don't say Smith or Staal.

I mean, it's certainly looking like it'll be Smith unless the Rangers find someone to bring in from the outside. None of the kids who played pro seasons this year look ready for that spot and it's unrealistic to expect guys like Miller or Robertson to step into that next season. They don't seem terribly inclined to move Fox to the right and despite TDA allegedly being comfortable on both sides I don't think they want him matched up against top lines night after night.

Barring any other roster moves, the Rangers aren't going to have money to go after a guy who can realistically play the top pairing on the FA market. Not that there's really anyone available anyway. Thankfully they have a lot of chips they could trade. Just depends if someone is actually available.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Who will be Trouba's partner next year on the first pair? Not that Trouba is a 1D or 2D, but yeah, please don't say Smith or Staal.

Until Smith and Staal are gone they take up a lot of cap on the d side of things. I really feel we will fill out the rest of the d roster with drafted players since we already have a decent start there with Miller, Robertson, Jones and Lindqvist. If there is a silver lining, having staal and Smith next year gives us time so we dont have to rush anyone. I've always said we weren't going to be in a position to fully compete until all of Hank, Staal, Smith's contracts are off the books.

Gospel of Prospal

America's Team
May 29, 2010
New York City
I mean, it's certainly looking like it'll be Smith unless the Rangers find someone to bring in from the outside. None of the kids who played pro seasons this year look ready for that spot and it's unrealistic to expect guys like Miller or Robertson to step into that next season. They don't seem terribly inclined to move Fox to the right and despite TDA allegedly being comfortable on both sides I don't think they want him matched up against top lines night after night.

Barring any other roster moves, the Rangers aren't going to have money to go after a guy who can realistically play the top pairing on the FA market. Not that there's really anyone available anyway. Thankfully they have a lot of chips they could trade. Just depends if someone is actually available.

I'd still want to attach Smith with Georgiev in a trade to get some breathing room

Gospel of Prospal

America's Team
May 29, 2010
New York City
For what purpose though? You expend a good trade asset to generate cap space that you don't even need next season and Smith only has a year left on his deal.

Well, we're pressed up against the cap and we need to re-sign DeAngelo, Fast, etc. This gives us breathing room to do that and to potentially add other players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad