Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part XLV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
I'd be interested in seeing which LHD around the league would be available in a trade who would bring back equal value for DeAngelo. Has to be a short list unless other pieces are involved to make it an even trade.
Other than Quinn Hughes (for his age) and maybe Shea Theodore (for his cap hit and term) I dont see how we could possibly win a 1 for 1 swap of ADA and a LD.

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
In the eventuality that ADA is out tomorrow, likely pairs:

Smith/Trouba
Lindgren/Fox…

wait for it

Staal/Hajek

LOL

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Theodore would be great but I don't see how it makes any sense for Vegas. Morrisey would be great but it makes no sense for Winnipeg.

The Leafs have been looking for a RD for a long while but I don't think TDA is their type and short of moving Reilly there's no comparable LD to be had. Sandin looks great but isn't that proven.

Tampa has Sergachev and somewhat lackluster RD depth but they have cap issues. They also might lose McDonagh in expansion, so they'd need Sergachev in that case.

All in all, I have a hard time seeing a one-for-one deal. So either the Rangers make a deal with some risk in the LD they're getting, which seems counter-intuitive, or they make separate deals.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
Other than Quinn Hughes (for his age) and maybe Shea Theodore (for his cap hit and term) I dont see how we could possibly win a 1 for 1 swap of ADA and a LD.

Werenski. Don’t know why CBJ would do it.

And the season ADA had is somehow still being undersold by many on this board and beyond. These are at best “tread water” trades. I don’t really get the urgency...have 3 cheap LDs, play ADA on PP1 and relatively evenly distribute the ES minutes and he is worth his next contract easily.

Reactions: Bozle

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Theodore would be great but I don't see how it makes any sense for Vegas. Morrisey would be great but it makes no sense for Winnipeg.

The Leafs have been looking for a RD for a long while but I don't think TDA is their type and short of moving Reilly there's no comparable LD to be had. Sandin looks great but isn't that proven.

Tampa has Sergachev and somewhat lackluster RD depth but they have cap issues. They also might lose McDonagh in expansion, so they'd need Sergachev in that case.

All in all, I have a hard time seeing a one-for-one deal. So either the Rangers make a deal with some risk in the LD they're getting, which seems counter-intuitive, or they make separate deals.

I could see a second tier LD + higher end prospect, someone who could support Trouba doesn't need to be a top-pair guy, just the right guy

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
If Vegas moves Schmidt back to the left, that would open a spot for Tony. Martinez would be the second pair RD.

Lindell is another name I thought of but his underlying stats aren't great. Could do a separate deal. Buchnevich for Hanifan, Tony for a forward to replace Buch

But this is the franchise that considered JT Miller a throw in and gave a 29 year old Kreider 7x7 in the middle of a hot streak so ADA might as well pack his bags.
This cut me to the core

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
I could see a second tier LD + higher end prospect, someone who could support Trouba doesn't need to be a top-pair guy, just the right guy

Sure, but that can be done without sacrificing a player like DeAngelo. The Rangers could probably just sign a mediocre LD instead of making a trade.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
I think the Rangers would be open to moving pieces to get a guy they like now, and who can play a role several years down the road.

no doubt we have the assets and they will try but the cap situation makes it tough unless you are targeting a young guy that is still cheap. or hank retires.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Speaking as one who was in the anti re-signing camp (until I saw the details), there is a LOT of misunderstanding about how team favorable that Kreider contract is.

Beginning with the fact that somehow it’s entered the collective consciousness of this board that the deal was 7x7 when in fact it was 6.5x7.
At least we don't do the thing anymore, when we alternate between salary and cap hit selective to justify our rage.

2020: "Not a lot of production for the $10 million we're paying Kreider"
2023: "No goals so far in May? What are we paying Kreider $6.5 million for?"

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
It's typical that there's a somewhat limited market on LD right now -- at least from an outsider's perspective -- and the Rangers are suddenly flush with really capable RD after years of them being viewed as unicorns around the league. Looking around at teams right now, there doesn't seem to be too many with a glaring need for a RD, a LD to spare, and enough cap space to extend DeAngelo to a long-term deal. I suppose the Rangers could move Fox in the right deal as well but I'm not sure I see that happening.
That should be a non-starter. I think our best option right now outside of moving one of the RD is just to move ADA or Fox to the left side as Trouba seems to intensely dislike that, although that could have just been a pretext to force a move from Winnipeg at that time. I think with how elusive Fox is and how adept he is on his backhand he probably would excel there. Not to mention I believe Quinn would be more comfortable with Fox-Trouba as opposed to DeAngelo-Trouba as the top/matchup pairing, leaving Lindgren-ADA which would probably work out pretty damn well, and it opens up a spot for Lundkvist when he's ready.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
In the eventuality that ADA is out tomorrow, likely pairs:

Smith/Trouba
Lindgren/Fox…

wait for it

Staal/Hajek

LOL

The only time Hajek looked remotely comfortable was with Trouba.

Lindgren-Fox
Hajek-Trouba
Staal-Smith

Would be my trot out. Don't use Hajek on the PK at all. Offensive zone draw preference for Hajek-Trouba.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI

Lindgren-Fox
Hajek-Trouba
Staal-Smith

Would be my trot out. Don't use Hajek on the PK at all. Offensive zone draw preference for Hajek-Trouba.
Nah that would be a mistake. Just stick with the obvious top-4 and give Staal and Hajek sparse ice time, Staal mostly on the PK

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Favorable is not the word I'd use for Kreider's contract. Half of the people saying it was a fine deal when he signed it were also saying it wasn't going to be an issue because the cap was going to hit 100 million in 3 years.

In a flat cap world, that contract goes from borderline okay to potential boat anchor real quick

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003

Lindgren-Fox
Hajek-Trouba
Staal-Smith

Low-key hate this.

Hajek-Trouba made matchups very hard the first time around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->