Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part XLV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
It’s a really, really difficult trade to make.

I just have a very hard time trading a defenseman with such rare qualities. He has the offensive impact of an elite forward when he’s on his game. I don’t think there are more than 2 or 3 other defenseman who compare to his style offensively. Even though I think Fox is the overall better player, Tony is a special talent in his own right.

I think there’s a great chance a TDA trade ends up looking like the Zubov trade down the road.

The thing I find funny is that everyone ties Stromes point totals this year to Panarin but never tie DeAngelo's to him and Zibanajad. As long as both are here and feed off each other it doesnt matter because it works but I don't see Tony as "special", I think if you put a number of people across the league in his role they would produce. He has a good skill set but to say he'd do this somewhere else is still a question mark as he hasnt done it anywhere else, much like Strome. Strome and DeAngelo fit what we are doing here and we don't have to give assets to have them and as such should be kept around,but neither is elite and that doesnt matter as long as it works.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Nah that would be a mistake. Just stick with the obvious top-4 and give Staal and Hajek sparse ice time, Staal mostly on the PK

I really don't think sparse ice time for blueliners is going to be an option with such a short rest and training period.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Hopefully Hajek looks like he did before he got hurt the first go around. I'm not a fan of splitting Trouba and Smith.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
That should be a non-starter. I think our best option right now outside of moving one of the RD is just to move ADA or Fox to the left side as Trouba seems to intensely dislike that, although that could have just been a pretext to force a move from Winnipeg at that time. I think with how elusive Fox is and how adept he is on his backhand he probably would excel there. Not to mention I believe Quinn would be more comfortable with Fox-Trouba as opposed to DeAngelo-Trouba as the top/matchup pairing, leaving Lindgren-ADA which would probably work out pretty damn well, and it opens up a spot for Lundkvist when he's ready.

It's hard to say for sure without being in the room or knowing exactly how Quinn feels. However, he's been pretty reluctant to throw kids into major roles before they're ready. Obviously Fox came on the scene and looked phenomenal at times this season but he's still prone to some gaffs. It's also tough to say for sure if Fox is comfortable on the right side. Some players don't care while others simply can't make the adjustment. In an ideal world I think your pairings make a lot of sense. In practice they're tough to pull off. Especially if the team wants to be a legitimate playoff contender next year. Pinning your hopes on a 2nd year Fox to be a top pairing defensemen is a tough bet.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
I doubt they can find a value for value trade for a left defenseman if they decide to move DeAngelo. Any reconfiguration of the team would probably include at least two trades.

I have some ideas but let’s let that rest until after the playoffs.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
It’s a really, really difficult trade to make.

I just have a very hard time trading a defenseman with such rare qualities. He has the offensive impact of an elite forward when he’s on his game. I don’t think there are more than 2 or 3 other defenseman who compare to his style offensively. Even though I think Fox is the overall better player, Tony is a special talent in his own right.

I think there’s a great chance a TDA trade ends up looking like the Zubov trade down the road.

It's possible, but I don't think they'd target guys in their 30s, or on the cusp, this time around.

Just fair warning that it's a distinct possibility.

Reactions: NYR Viper

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Maybe, but Dallas is also against the cap. I figure any team that hopes he can improve their top six will hedge their bets by offering only a competitive third-line salary. Including us.

Dallas has 19 mil in cap space and no one who is in line to get a significant raise this offseason. Heiskanen will get paid the following offseason, but they have plenty of money coming off the books that year.

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
Dallas has 19 mil in cap space and no one who is in line to get a significant raise this offseason. Heiskanen will get paid the following offseason, but they have plenty of money coming off the books that year.
You mean they will have that space after the season, and some portion or all of it will be spent retaining or replacing the contracts that expire.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
You mean they will have that space after the season, and some portion or all of it will be spent retaining or replacing the contracts that expire.

Some portion of it, yes. Who are they spending 19 mil on? The contracts they have expiring are:

Janmark UFA
Faksa RFA
Perry UFA
Gurianov RFA
Hintz RFA
Polak UFA
Sekera UFA
Khudobin UFA

Which of those guys are they re-signing and how much are they getting?

Polak and Perry are probably done. Maybe Sekera comes back, but he isn't going to make more than the 1.5 mil he made this year. Everyone likes the potential of Gurianov and Hintz, but neither has broken out yet.

If they want to make a move to add to their top 6, they absolutely have the cap space to do it.

Reactions: Leetch3 and LokiDog

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
If the odd man out is Buch, why are you arguing to keep Strome? Because of a single season of Strome?
You’re saying to keep Buch, in the scenario that one has to go, because he has more RFA years remaining? If so, that’s reasonable. I don’t see the gap between Strome and Buch as being very big, of any. So contract is probably the deciding factor.

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
You’re saying to keep Buch, in the scenario that one has to go, because he has more RFA years remaining? If so, that’s reasonable. I don’t see the gap between Strome and Buch as being very big, of any. So contract is probably the deciding factor.

I'm saying keep Buch because he's the better player, and more important to the team's success. Contract is a bonus

Reactions: Leetch3

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
I said it earlier in the thread, but Vegas isn't trading Shea Theodore. (unless he's part of a package for McDavid....which isn't happening) He's their best defenseman by far & the player they can least afford to lose.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
I watched Glass have breakaways where he sprinted slower than most Rangers’s regular skating.

His straightaway speed (Kreider) was poor. His skating (Pivotal speed, edge holding, jump) was okay.

Tanner Glass was never Mike Rupp, but he was no Trevor Gillies either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad