Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part XLIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
1) I do think Strome could potentially be available but the Rangers preference is to keep him. Any decision will come down to A) cap crunch (can they sign DeAngelo at a discount) and B) if they feel that Filip Chytil can step into a 2nd line role and that they have a replacement for Chytil on line 3. Could be a vet 3rd line C or a young player acquired for Strome.

2) It would likely cost a young center (pref on an ELC or second contract) that can play 3rd line minutes + 2nd/3rd round pick depending on the level of that player

3) Somewhere in the neighborhood of 5-6m AAV would be my guess. Longer the term, higher the AAV

4) Realistically, a 50-55 point center that can play wing in a pinch and produce with talented players or drive a 3rd line if he's on a deeper team. Some believe he was a product of playing with Panarin (the two really clicked this season) but he has really made substantial improvements in other areas.

5) He's particularly strong at complimenting talented players and pretty good on the right half wall on the PP. He has a great wrist shot and can make some great passes. Can be counted on defensively (to an extent) but also is prone to some minor lapses here and there. I think consistency is probably one of his weaknesses, he can be streaky at times.

Overall he's a run of the mill 2nd line center that I think is best served for a team that has strong top 6 wingers to play him with.

The Wild are currently looking for a center to play with Fiala and Kaprizov going forward. We don't need that center to be the best player on that line, we just neeed someone that can keep up.
The issue is we don't have a guy that can step in and play a high level 3C right away. The closest we'd have is Marco Sturm who's most likely an NHL player right now, but probably more likely a 4C.
Would there be anything else in Minnesota that appeals? Something around Greenway, possibly?

Reactions: egelband

Mikachu93

Formerly MacTruck
Aug 1, 2010
NY
The Wild are currently looking for a center to play with Fiala and Kaprizov going forward. We don't need that center to be the best player on that line, we just neeed someone that can keep up.
The issue is we don't have a guy that can step in and play a high level 3C right away. The closest we'd have is Marco Sturm who's most likely an NHL player right now, but probably more likely a 4C.
Would there be anything else in Minnesota that appeals? Something around Greenway, possibly?

I could see the Rangers being very interested in Greenway as a piece in the deal if they were able to find a center elsewhere.

Reactions: McSauer and AKL

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011

Would Firstov be available?

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Would Firstov be available?

I would imagine he would be. I liked what I saw from him this year in Connecticut and I like the idea of continuing to stockpile Russian players (Kaprizov, Khovanov, Firstov), but if he's the one standing in the way between the Wild and acquiring a top 6 center, it's not really a question.

Reactions: egelband

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I would imagine he would be. I liked what I saw from him this year in Connecticut and I like the idea of continuing to stockpile Russian players (Kaprizov, Khovanov, Firstov), but if he's the one standing in the way between the Wild and acquiring a top 6 center, it's not really a question.

That's a player I would be more interested in than Greenway to be fair. I think Minnesota could be a good landing spot for Strome, and with him being RFA, they can negotiate a long-term contract with him. Ball is in their court if they trade for him

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
That's a player I would be more interested in than Greenway to be fair. I think Minnesota could be a good landing spot for Strome, and with him being RFA, they can negotiate a long-term contract with him. Ball is in their court if they trade for him

What would the + need to be with Firstov?

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Hot rumor is that O'Regan, once the NHL playoffs are over, will sign with the Fischtown Pinguins of the DEL. :laugh:

I would have been okay with bringing him back on an NHL deal, honestly. I expect an exodus of the higher-end 4A guys so I'd like to keep a couple, even if there's no AHL season.

Reactions: RangersFan1994

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Hot rumor is that O'Regan, once the NHL playoffs are over, will sign with the Fischtown Pinguins of the DEL. :laugh:

I would have been okay with bringing him back on an NHL deal, honestly. I expect an exodus of the higher-end 4A guys so I'd like to keep a couple, even if there's no AHL season.

Yeah but it makes sense for him to play in Germany rather than wait for the AHL to announce whether or not they will actually have a hockey season starting. Back to his country of birth haha

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Yeah but it makes sense for him to play in Germany rather than wait for the AHL to announce whether or not they will actually have a hockey season starting. Back to his country of birth haha
I know it makes sense. That's why I said I expect an exodus of guys like him (to Europe) with the uncertainty over the gate-driven AHL.

Still, I think guys like him could be enticed by an NHL deal, either one-way or two-way with a large AHL base like $350K or something. If there is no AHL hockey the NHL will almost be forced to come up with some type of modified alternative, or at least allow the NHL team to carry extra players like they're doing now. There are too many prospects and too many 4A guys to have NHL hockey and nothing else.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I know it makes sense. That's why I said I expect an exodus of guys like him (to Europe) with the uncertainty over the gate-driven AHL.

Still, I think guys like him could be enticed by an NHL deal, either one-way or two-way with a large AHL base like $350K or something. If there is no AHL hockey the NHL will almost be forced to come up with some type of modified alternative, or at least allow the NHL team to carry extra players like they're doing now. There are too many prospects and too many 4A guys to have NHL hockey and nothing else.

Yeah, the exodus is a bad sign, even though it makes sense. We could see a really weird AHL season

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
My pitch for Strome to other teams goes something like

“Is your team interested in acquiring a player who needs mvp candidate wingers around him to be anything more than a 40 point player, who will assuredly be overpaid the moment he signs a contract with your team?

If so, Ryan Strome is your man”
If you were in sales, your family would die of hunger.

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
why did they wait so long to announce the Lemiuex suspension? Seems like they could have announced it any time like when a player is suspended over the summer (Voynov?). It doesn't matter why, we know the length and move on.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
why did they wait so long to announce the Lemiuex suspension? Seems like they could have announced it any time like when a player is suspended over the summer (Voynov?). It doesn't matter why, we know the length and move on.
Probably because they wanted to have a %-threshold of certainty that there would actually be games to play...which doesn't really matter for something like this tbh. You're right that they could have announced this earlier.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Probably because they wanted to have a %-threshold of certainty that there would actually be games to play...which doesn't really matter for something like this tbh. You're right that they could have announced this earlier.
Playoff games are valued differently than regular season games by DOPS, so they wanted to be pretty certain they knew what type of games they were suspending him for before they circled a number.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Playoff games are valued differently than regular season games by DOPS, so they wanted to be pretty certain they knew what type of games they were suspending him for before they circled a number.
We've known it would be "playoff" games for a while though, despite not knowing right away.

(Assuming they were originally thinking play-in games would weigh the same as playoff)

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
We've known it would be "playoff" games for a while though, despite not knowing right away.

(Assuming they were originally thinking play-in games would weigh the same as playoff)
Think they were protecting themselves against contagion striking again and the playoffs being wiped out.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Think they were protecting themselves against contagion striking again and the playoffs being wiped out.
Maybe, but it's easy enough to just say "Lemieux is suspended X games" once they announced the RTP format, and then if it happens, it takes effect, and then if it ends up being canceled...it doesn't matter.

But, this is whatever.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009

regular season suspensions and playoff suspensions aren’t the same and they didn’t know if he was going to be suspended for playoffs in a return to play or regular season game next year...they also had higher priorities than worry about this. It’s not like the rangers didn’t know and didn’t get plenty of warning

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
My guess is that league senior execs were so busy the past few months between playoff and draft logistics and CBA negotiations, that they just put off any non-essential decisions (which would include signing off on any player suspensions) until absolutely needed.

Reactions: romba and Leetch3
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad