Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part XLIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

cwede

Sep 1, 2010
I think if you can get Fast on a one year deal, you do it. Can’t go multi year, and if he did he would be exposed anyway...

i think Fast could get 2 years precisely to be exposed,
for NYR to be sure they have the 2 signed 40/70 F's to expose.
maybe he gets an accommodation such as performance bonus that's automatically triggered if moved (is that CBA allowed?).
unless a contender asks Seattle to get them Fast,
Seattle more likely to poach Hajek or whichever of Howden/Lemieux/Gauthier
... or maybe hometown here Ryan Gropp 8^) ?

Reactions: Kendo

17futurecap

Oct 8, 2008
NJ
McKegg seems like an easy 2 year guy at a cheap cost to be one of the eligible forwards.

Can't see a career 13th forward passing over a guaranteed two year contract.

Only needs 17 games next season to hit 70 over the 2 years.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
McKegg seems like an easy 2 year guy at a cheap cost to be one of the eligible forwards.

we shouldn't have a problem finding forwards to expose...depending on what happens with strome and fast we could have some tough decisions to make there with depth guys.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009

Now you're speaking my language.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
maybe he gets an accommodation such as performance bonus that's automatically triggered if moved (is that CBA allowed?).

No, not allowed. Only ELCs and 1 year contracts for players 35+ or players coming off significant injury can include performance bonuses.

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
This makes me curious:

If a guy like Brendan Smith played two full seasons getting 90% of his TOI as a forward, and then we wished to protect him; which slot would he fill?

From memory with Vegas the league will just make a ruling if there's any issues like this. You'd think that 2 seasons @ 90% = forward, but with no hard-and-fast rules you are relying on common-sense... :rolleyes:

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
This makes me curious:

If a guy like Brendan Smith played two full seasons getting 90% of his TOI as a forward, and then we wished to protect him; which slot would he fill?
It’s kind of tricky because in hockey there’s not really a record of what position you’re playing. You’re just on the ice, or not. I think the league makes the determination, you can’t just call anyone a forward otherwise the Islanders would have done that with Pelech, the Ducks with Vatanen. I’m trying to think of the guy they ruled on in the Vegas draft.

Reactions: Harbour Dog

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Good thing protecting him is a complete fantasy. Whew.

Well, it's also about exposing. You need to expose forwards, defensemen and a goalie who meet certain criteria. If they sign Smith to a 1-year extension for the purpose of exposing him, it does help to know what position he would be designated to: Forward or Defenseman

Unless Hajek plays 40 games, he is not eligible to be one of the exposed players. We may have to expose Lindgren if not Smith

Teams must expose players who meet certain criteria. There must be at least one defensemen and two forwards who are under contract for 2021-22 and played at least 40 NHL games in 2020-21 or 70 NHL games total since the start of 2019-20. Teams must also expose a goaltender who is either under contract for the 2021-22 season or about to enter restricted free agency.

cwede

Sep 1, 2010
Well, it's also about exposing. You need to expose forwards, defensemen and a goalie who meet certain criteria. If they sign Smith to a 1-year extension for the purpose of exposing him, it does help to know what position he would be designated to: Forward or Defenseman
Unless Hajek plays 40 games, he is not eligible to be one of the exposed players. We may have to expose Lindgren if not Smith

i guess this is my day for language semantics
Hajek is totally eligible to be exposed to Seattle and claimed by Seattle. Howden too.

But as noted in quoted, NYR exposed list must include 2Fs and 1D who both are
- signed for at least the '21-22 season, or RFA (considered 'under team control')
AND
- have played 40 NHL games in most recent season, or 70 across prior 2 seasons

also must expose a Goalie. signed for '21-22 or RFA

Seattle does NOT have pick only from guys who meet the requirement,
but NYR exposed list must include at least 4 (2F, 1D, 1G) that meet them

so NYR will need to address this by either
- assuring Hajek plays 40, or
- bringing a player who qualifies, or who they dress enough to qualify

Maybe they can pry Kulak and McNiven from Habs
(... for Staal to chase a Cup w Price, Weber would nice...)
that would meet NYR's G and D requirements

for F's that should be less of a challenge, Howden plus maybe among guys they might re-sign : Mckegg, Strome, Fast

NYR can only lose 1 player in Exp draft, and it may not be the one that seems obvious or most valuable; Vegas chose Oscar Lindberg...

[ btw I just cannot imagine the possibility that Gorton lets himself get cornered into exposing Georiev (if still w NYR) or Lindgren]

Reactions: bobbop

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
i guess this is my day for language semantics
Hajek is totally eligible to be exposed to Seattle and claimed by Seattle. Howden too.

But as noted in quoted, NYR exposed list must include 2Fs and 1D who both are
- signed for at least the '21-22 season, or RFA (considered 'under team control')
AND
- have played 40 NHL games in most recent season, or 70 across prior 2 seasons

also must expose a Goalie. signed for '21-22 or RFA

Seattle does NOT have pick only from guys who meet the requirement,
but NYR exposed list must include at least 4 (2F, 1D, 1G) that meet them

so NYR will need to address this by either
- assuring Hajek plays 40, or
- bringing a player who qualifies, or who they dress enough to qualify

Maybe they can pry Kulak and McNiven from Habs
(... for Staal to chase a Cup w Price, Weber would nice...)
that would meet NYR's G and D requirements

for F's that should be less of a challenge, Howden plus maybe among guys they might re-sign : Mckegg, Strome, Fast

NYR can only lose 1 player in Exp draft, and it may not be the one that seems obvious or most valuable; Vegas chose Oscar Lindberg...

[ btw I just cannot imagine the possibility that Gorton lets himself get cornered into exposing Georiev (if still w NYR) or Lindgren]
This post should be required reading, especially for the black aces. Nice job.

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn

I would not sign Smith for league minimum. Lacks character.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
That player still has to play 40 games this season or 70 including 2019-20 to be eligible for exposure.

Yes, but it shouldn't be that hard to find someone and get them enough games to meet the 70 game requirement. These are all the dmen who are UFAs this offseason and played at least 50 games this year.

upload_2020-7-22_12-57-6.png

I'm sure we could sign someone from this list and get them enough games to get to 70. Though, I wonder if that 70 number will change due to Covid. Or if they will count play-in and/or playoff games as part of that 70 number.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->