Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part XLIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
Does anyone know where the new CBA proposal can be found? I'd like to check out any major changes. Also, it seems like that it goes through, is that incorrect?

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
Not this summer, but next summer Michael Grabner is UFA. He’s fallen off quite a bit but he’s a fitness freak and a vet. If he doesn’t get many offers I’d give him 1M for 2 years for our 4th line. Loved him when he was here, he’s still got wheels and he can slot up during injury, PK and provide a veteran presence. Again, this is if we could get him on close to a 1M AAV.

Reactions: egelband

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Does anyone know where the new CBA proposal can be found? I'd like to check out any major changes. Also, it seems like that it goes through, is that incorrect?
The entire NHLPA has to vote on it, which will probably take a day or two to vote/collect votes/etc. So I would imagine that we won't see the CBA ratified until late this week/early next week.

As for the proposal, I don't think the full document has been released, obviously. But Seravalli did a quick recap on the highlights: NHL, NHLPA on verge of labour peace; plan to resume games Aug. 1 - TSN.ca

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
Not this summer, but next summer Michael Grabner is UFA. He’s fallen off quite a bit but he’s a fitness freak and a vet. If he doesn’t get many offers I’d give him 1M for 2 years for our 4th line. Loved him when he was here, he’s still got wheels and he can slot up during injury, PK and provide a veteran presence. Again, this is if we could get him on close to a 1M AAV.
Grabner and/or Hagelin would be great bottom-six depth to have, butI dont know that Grabner will be interested in such a pay cut. Couldn't he do better in Europe, if not from another team?

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
If we let Kreider go, I could see it, but there’s no need now. We already have a guy that can jump out of a pool.

Attachments

• upload_2020-7-7_15-53-14.jpeg
    upload_2020-7-7_15-53-14.jpeg
    21.3 KB · Views: 4
  • upload_2020-7-7_15-53-14.png
    upload_2020-7-7_15-53-14.png
    113.6 KB · Views: 7

LokiDog

Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
Grabner and/or Hagelin would be great bottom-six depth to have, butI dont know that Grabner will be interested in such a pay cut. Couldn't he do better in Europe, if not from another team?

Perhaps. Some guys want to play here until they can’t get a contract. I don’t know his situation such as whether he’s married to an American, spends his off seasons here or overseas, etc. it’s certainly possible he’d leave if the offers weren’t good. But if he were playing in the NHL for 4th line money, I’d be willing to sign him.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Perhaps. Some guys want to play here until they can’t get a contract. I don’t know his situation such as whether he’s married to an American, spends his off seasons here or overseas, etc. it’s certainly possible he’d leave if the offers weren’t good. But if he were playing in the NHL for 4th line money, I’d be willing to sign him.
I like Grabner. It’s probably a bit early to be thinking about the 21-22 bottom six, so much will change, but Grabner, even if not scoring, is a valuable player. And he should definitely maintain his speed and defense. Which we’ll need.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I'm never one to turn down a 4th liner who can actually play hockey.

Reactions: Chalfdiggity3

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..

Any time someone says the phrase "fitness freak" my eye starts to twitch. "Fitness freak" was one of the most common justifications for signing Brad Richards.

Not saying he'd be an awful add on the cheap. Just brings back bad memories.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
There was a conversation between the Rangers and Coyotes at the trade deadline. The Rangers weren’t willing to give much up or take on his whole contract. With all the moving parts in the league right now, it may or may not get revisited this summer.

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
Any time someone says the phrase "fitness freak" my eye starts to twitch. "Fitness freak" was one of the most common justifications for signing Brad Richards.

Not saying he'd be an awful add on the cheap. Just brings back bad memories.
This is accurate, but it’s an overused term. I’m convinced that Selanne would still light it up on an NHL 2nd line. Richards? Not so much.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
I'm never one to turn down a 4th liner who can actually play hockey.
Grabner is irrelevant as a hockey player w/o the puck with open ice. He’s a 1 trick pony who can be effective under the perfect circumstances. But he’s by no means a guaranteed solid 4th line option unless you want him cherry picking for a break away.

I prefer someone close to Fast there, personally.

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
Players like Fast, Hagelin and Grabner are valuable on the PK, even if they never score. Time spent rushing and dangling in the OZ is time the other team can’t shoot on you.

Reactions: NYSPORTS

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
For anyone who wants a laugh, I just saw a Montreal post on Armchair GM that had the following pair of trades with the Rangers:
To MTL- Nils Lundkvist, Hunter Skinner, BUF 2021 3rd
To NY- Victor Mete

To MTL- NY unprotected 2020 1st
To NY- CBJ 2020 2nd, STL 2020 2nd

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
For anyone who wants a laugh, I just saw a Montreal post on Armchair GM that had the following pair of trades with the Rangers:
To NY- Victor Mete

I wouldn't even trade Hunter Skinner and a 3rd round pick for Victor Mete. I have 0 interest in Mete

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Hello again. I asked back when the season was actually going on, but do you all expect to re-sign Jesper Fast? And what do you think his next contract will look like?

And can he play LW?

Thanks!

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
To NY- Victor Mete

I am not sure why a Canadians fan had such a modest proposal. Why not ask the Rangers to throw in Fox to the deal to make it more equitable. I am sure Gorton would hop to the fax to send that into the league office.

LokiDog

Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
This is accurate, but it’s an overused term. I’m convinced that Selanne would still light it up on an NHL 2nd line. Richards? Not so much.

Exactly. Grabner is an actual fitness freak. He makes Richards look like a potato. Like Grabner is one of those guys who posts videos of himself pulling 450lbs for reps and jumping out of swimming pools.

Last edited:

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
Hello again. I asked back when the season was actually going on, but do you all expect to re-sign Jesper Fast? And what do you think his next contract will look like?

And can he play LW?

Thanks!

the Rangers will be winning the draft lottery so will pass on Fast. :)

IMO, Fast is valuable yet we anticipate some pretty hefty salaries in the future so every million is going to count. Not sure what the Rangers will do.

Best case the Rangers let him go and another kid steps up.

Worst case is the Rangers let him go and sign a more costly veteran to take his place which doesn’t fit Fast’s role as well.

Not sure what will happen.

LokiDog

Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
Grabner is irrelevant as a hockey player w/o the puck with open ice. He’s a 1 trick pony who can be effective under the perfect circumstances. But he’s by no means a guaranteed solid 4th line option unless you want him cherry picking for a break away.

I prefer someone close to Fast there, personally.

Offensively, he’s pretty barren outside of what you say. He’s not bad defensively when asked to focus on that role though, but the only reason I brought him up is he’s likely going to cost 1/3 or less than Fast on his next deal, so he could be a good veteran 4th liner who can slot up to other lines, for the cost.

Reactions: Kupo and NYSPORTS

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
I think Lundkvist is a top-5 prospect outside the NHL. Top-3 among D-men with Byram and Romanov
Sounds sweet, but I remember VK being THE top prospect outside the NHL. Though Nils is older and more mature as a player, and has looked the part for a few years now with steady growth in specific areas of his game (PP bomb, for example, seems to have become a weapon this past year)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad