Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part XIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I agree that you have to swing hard in the later rounds. What are you losing: a 10% chance at an NHL player?

There was nothing wrong with the Day pick.

If anything, the Rangers have been a solid team with late picks. We haven't really nailed the high picks and sometimes traded too many of them.

For better or worse, how our top 10 picks from 2017-2019 (maybe 2020) perform will go a long way toward deciding how much easier it is for this franchise to move forward, and what kind of drafting legacy we establish for this era.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Cozens, Newhood, Turcotte.....would take any. Figure no chance at Hughes or Kakko.

This past draft and the upcoming one will truly mark Gorton. Feel like those are the two that will either make or break the rebuild.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
Brooks' speculation piece from yesterday is interesting. I wonder how much of it is Gorton using Brooksie as a puppet to speak through the media to say "We're open for business on Hayes and Zuccarello, what are your offers?" to every other GM in the league.

It takes two to tango. A lot of teams that though they would be better this year (Flyers, Panthers, Stars, Blues, Kings, Vegas) are off to slow starts and are waiting a few more weeks to really see what their team is this year. American Thanksgiving has been used as a benchmark to predicate the rest of the season's success. If you're in or out of the playoffs by American Thanksgiving, you have a 75% chance of remaining there. Who is going to emerge from the pack and try to make another push?

The Rangers are realistic about who they are this year. Gorton should be open for business on all of the UFA's. I bet he's listening on just about everyone that doesn't have a boat anchor attached to them. Gorton is in a unique situation to set the market this year rather than wait until two weeks before the deadline before making moves. There will be players that are waived that can fill in as warm bodies if a Hayes or Zuccarello gets dealt for a nice offer.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
i would think 2 seasons of suck would assure a boat load of talent via the draft.

those drafts plus whats in our systen now should be enough

last year this year and next year will be watershed drafts.

Reactions: TheTakedown

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
The problem with the Rangers, if you're of the belief that the league is controlling the lottery, [which I wouldn't put completely out of the realm of possibility, it's all about money] is that the Rangers could be irrelevant for two decades and still poor money into the league's pockets. We've seen this with the Knicks.

That being said, you could probably say the same for Maple Leafs and their ship came in.

McRanger

Sponsor
Jul 20, 2005
The problem with the Rangers, if you're of the belief that the league is controlling the lottery, [which I wouldn't put completely out of the realm of possibility, it's all about money] is that the Rangers could be irrelevant for two decades and still poor money into the league's pockets. We've seen this with the Knicks.

That being said, you could probably say the same for Maple Leafs and their ship came in.

I don't think its a conspiracy. I just think the Rangers are unlucky.

Reactions: I Eat Crow

BleedinBLUEsince92

Oct 30, 2009
Northern NJ

I’ll always be skeptical just for the fact they don’t actually show the lottery pickings live. One thing I’ll say though is it doesn’t seem likely it’s rigged. For example the year the Devils, Flyers, and Stars all won a lottery pick. Those teams winning and the spots they won at seems way to random rather than some planned out conspiracy.

Reactions: TheTakedown

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I’ll always be skeptical just for the fact they don’t actually show the lottery pickings live. One thing I’ll say though is it doesn’t seem likely it’s rigged. For example the year the Devils, Flyers, and Stars all won a lottery pick. Those teams winning and the spots they won at seems way to random rather than some planned out conspiracy.

No it definitely seems inconsistent if anything and certain teams getting it doesn't fit the paradigm.

But then there's Pittsburgh in 2005, don't get me started.

Reactions: I Eat Crow

DutchShamrock

Nov 22, 2005
New Jersey
Matthews. Toronto.
Again, Shanahan had a front row seat in the league office. Gary can't play games at that point.

This would be going waaaaay off the range and not something I remotely buy, but if there was some conspiracy I would say Shanny had Gary dead to rights and "won" Matthews, then Buffalo got Dahlen as compensation. But then that's a lot of people in a conspiracy which is the point when reality leaves the room.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
been awhile since we could say for sure that we are in on a player like that

weve watched as this type of kid has been drafted while we settle for kids outside the top 5 or so

skilled centers like this are organization changers. adding hughes adds elite talent. sounds good.

tank on

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Again, Shanahan had a front row seat in the league office. Gary can't play games at that point.

This would be going waaaaay off the range and not something I remotely buy, but if there was some conspiracy I would say Shanny had Gary dead to rights and "won" Matthews, then Buffalo got Dahlen as compensation. But then that's a lot of people in a conspiracy which is the point when reality leaves the room.

Buffalo "Dahlen" despite having the best odds in the NHL of winning that pick?

I like you guys. I respect many of you. But, the wild conspiracy theories when it comes to the lottery are a bit much for me.

Reactions: ecemleafs
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad