Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part XIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
They all have different agendas.

It was inevitable that these types of problems would exist, but one would hope that even a player who is only looking out for himself would still do his best, if only to increase the likelihood of a trade. That said, these guys are human and there's always going to be some amount of let down when they know the team doesn't have a chance of winning.

Reactions: TheTakedown

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
I also love Alex Newhook but that would be a big reach where we're projected to be, so I'm not gonna ask them to do that.

I expect this team to draft top 3, but, I’m also hoping for an additional two 1st round picks after dealing Hayes and Zuccarello. I’m hoping for a mid-teen pick where someone like Turcotte or Newhook slips. Of, course, I’m saying this on October 30th. Who knows where we’ll be in June.

Reactions: Machinehead

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I expect this team to draft top 3, but, I’m also hoping for an additional two 1st round picks after dealing Hayes and Zuccarello. I’m hoping for a mid-teen pick where someone like Turcotte or Newhook slips. Of, course, I’m saying this on October 30th. Who knows where we’ll be in June.

We will have 3 first round picks, 2 or 3 second round picks. I would not be surprised to see us trade up with those assets. I expect both Hayes and Zuccarello to return a first round pick in the 20-31 range.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Ideally, they’d have another mid-first to get a kid like Zegras, Kaliyev, or Podkolzin.

I don’t think Newhook or Turcotte will fall out of the top-10, even with the WHL kids having hot starts.

Reactions: GeorgeKaplan

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
Ideally, they’d have another mid-first to get a kid like Zegras, Kaliyev, or Podkolzin.

I don’t think Newhook or Turcotte will fall out of the top-10, even with the WHL kids having hot starts.
And as we saw last draft, teams looove reaching for centers

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I hope that Podkolzin’s KHL commitment causes him to fall to us at our 2nd 1st.

Disagree on Turcotte though. The injury doesn’t help but I’ve never understood the fuss with him. If anyone velenos this draft, it’s him

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I hope that Podkolzin’s KHL commitment causes him to fall to us at our 2nd 1st.

Disagree on Turcotte though. The injury doesn’t help but I’ve never understood the fuss with him. If anyone velenos this draft, it’s him

Podkolzin, Dorofeyev, Spiridonov, Pribylsky, Gutik are the most exciting Russian prospects so far for me this year.

People were high on Veleno only because the exceptional status-thing. Same with Day

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC

I tend to agree here if anything I expect those two kids to rise.

I expect Hayes to return a first. I’m not sure if zuccarello does with the way he’s played the past 12 months or so.

We’re going to get a few real good players here. No doubt. I really will continue to push this but with multiple picks I gotta have Spencer Knight circled. That’s a franchise goalie. Anyone who’s watched him he’s not a maybe type kid. He’s a franchise goalie.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
I tend to agree here if anything I expect those two kids to rise.

I expect Hayes to return a first. I’m not sure if zuccarello does with the way he’s played the past 12 months or so.

We’re going to get a few real good players here. No doubt. I really will continue to push this but with multiple picks I gotta have Spencer Knight circled. That’s a franchise goalie. Anyone who’s watched him he’s not a maybe type kid. He’s a franchise goalie.
You know my stance on taking goalies that early, and I’d really prefer if they didn’t. They said the same things about Zach Fucale, and he ended up being a huge bust.

As much as I want them to add more picks, I still think it’s going to be paramount to add kids from the 13-14 drafts to get more bodies into the system. Boston is going to need some scoring to help out their top-6. If they can swing something for a kid like Donato, I’d be more open to that than a pick.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Here is the problem with the Rangers. All of those players know there is another sell off coming because Gorton said so earlier this month. These players are independent contractors. You think they care the other players? They care about themselves.

Some of them are concerned about their next contract.

Quinn spends every practice screaming at them like they are 19 year college kids.

The team stinks. The players know the organization is rebuilding and they don't fit in the rebuild. They know. They can read. Help is not coming to make them a better team. They are going to be sent off to another team to make the Rangers a better team down the road.

Quinn rips the team after the Chicago game and the Rangers come up with a worse performance against LA and their pop gun offense and back up goaltender.

Let this guy scream and yell because we aren't going to be here in 4 months.

Quinn screamed and yelled again yesterday. They spent a good portion of the practice working on line changes.

When the Rangers sent out the letter last February, the mood around the team was miserable. Management had thrown in the towel and was waving the white flag. Players knew trades were coming. The players which remained know they are next.

Rangers management got nothing out of their drafts from 2012-2016 and those players should be in the NHL. The Rangers are rebuilding and they lack players from that age group. Their young guys are 20 and under. They have a team full of "placeholders" which is Carpiniello's word and they know why they are here.

Yep, this is a major problem right here. When you know the end is coming, there isn't much you can do.

Some of the young guys at least look like they are trying. ADA, Skjei, Howden, whoever gets called up for a cup of coffee. Problem is, the guys who know they are almost completely positively going to be sold--Hayes, Zucc, McQuaid--there isn't much else you can do for those guys. They're in dead-end jobs that they don't want to hold and they know they are going to be sold off soon

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I suspect this team to draft in the top 5.

I expect this team to have anywhere from 1-3 additional first round picks in the draft --- depending on Tampa. Those picks will fall between 20-31.

Like last year, I think it's the second first rounder that the Rangers will focus on as a potential move-up opportunity. Like last year, you're probably looking at moving up 3-5 spots.

So if you're looking at the 20 spot, the Rangers could be eyeing a move up to 15-17.

Reactions: jas

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Hughes is far and away the top talent in this draft.

His skating is elite
His hockey sense is off the charts
His play making is the best in the draft
He makes everyone he plays with better

Pair him with a shooter and magic will happen

Only negative I can find - if you want to call it that is his size. With training and age he will gain strength and be even more dangerous.

He’s a true playmaking 1C and hes only player in this draft I would take 10 out of 10’times.

Yeah, I think we've reached the time of year where we people start overthinking things and doing their best impression of Vizzini from The Princess Pride.

Hughes is the real deal.

Reactions: lucky13

MetalJaws

Mar 12, 2014
We might trade Kreider as well. His speed is great, but he isn't a constant force. I don't believe him to ever eclipse 30/30. He just doesn't have the hands or play-making abilities to make that stuff happen. He's a freak athlete with tremendous speed. I bet we could unload him for around a top 10 pick and replace him with Stone or Panarin in the off-season and it would be a substantial upgrade. If we had more skill he would be a good second liner, amazing 3rd line player. Kravtsov, Chytil, Anderson and Howden may not be as fast but seem to have way more skill. Add a FA like stone or Panarin and it forces Kreider to 3rd line duties. Which, sure is great without money problems. I would listen.

If we could grab 2 top 10 talents this year and get a stud FA then we can be super competitive within another year or so. A draft like Kakko and Krebs would be killer. Add a Panarin or Stone and now we're moving!

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
Here is the problem with the Rangers. All of those players know there is another sell off coming because Gorton said so earlier this month. These players are independent contractors. You think they care the other players? They care about themselves.

Some of them are concerned about their next contract.

Quinn spends every practice screaming at them like they are 19 year college kids.

The team stinks. The players know the organization is rebuilding and they don't fit in the rebuild. They know. They can read. Help is not coming to make them a better team. They are going to be sent off to another team to make the Rangers a better team down the road.

Quinn rips the team after the Chicago game and the Rangers come up with a worse performance against LA and their pop gun offense and back up goaltender.

Let this guy scream and yell because we aren't going to be here in 4 months.

Quinn screamed and yelled again yesterday. They spent a good portion of the practice working on line changes.

When the Rangers sent out the letter last February, the mood around the team was miserable. Management had thrown in the towel and was waving the white flag. Players knew trades were coming. The players which remained know they are next.

Rangers management got nothing out of their drafts from 2012-2016 and those players should be in the NHL. The Rangers are rebuilding and they lack players from that age group. Their young guys are 20 and under. They have a team full of "placeholders" which is Carpiniello's word and they know why they are here.

Well they (and they know who they are) can GTFO

Don’t let that door hit u in the ass on ur way out. Anyone on these boards gonna shed a tear? Maybe for zucc but otherwise I think we and management will be fine.

redwhiteandblue

Apr 1, 2013
Podkolzin doesn't blow me away either.

Good prospect, but number-wise, not much more impressive than Kravtsov.

Kirby Dach is the guy I'm after if we're around the top 5 but not in Hughes/Kakko range.

That dude was playing in the WHL in his 15YO season. 27 in 16 so far this year.

I'm all about Dach man. I love the pedigree of a kid who has been in the Dub since 15 and has developed with that size and skill to a top end draft pick potential. Love me a guy in the form of a Getzlaf/Scheifle type of player. I've wanted Getzlaf since draft day.

Of course the year we suck there isn't a McDavid type player.
True, and they're rare, but something about Hughes doesn't even scream Patrick Kane to me. I don't know, it just feels like there is too much room for it to go wrong with Hughes.

Podkolzin, Dorofeyev, Spiridonov, Pribylsky, Gutik are the most exciting Russian prospects so far for me this year.

People were high on Veleno only because the exceptional status-thing. Same with Day
Hated the Day pick since we made it. There was nothing there except an old exceptional status and great skating. Such a waste.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Theres so much overthinking going on here lol.

It's amazing that the one season where we look like we may be in a position to get the 1OA, we're already crapping all over said player when he not only doesn't deserve it, but its clearly the best forward to come out of the draft in the last few years.

I shouldn't be surprised.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA

Totally agree

No chance Turcotte falls out of the top 10 unless he suffers a catastrophic injury. Kid is a 6'2 center who would easily be the US's best center if not for Hughes

That said I hope he falls, I'd move up for him if he's in the mid to late teens

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Patience seems to be lacking here. Deals will be made when the right deal is available.

A lot of posters have said they are on board with this rebuild, and yet many still seem to not have understood what is going on here. It’s going to sound like I’m patting myself on the back, but, as one of the few posters who actually expected this team to be as bad as they are, I feel somewhat vindicated. I kept pointing out the deficiencies of this squad and why they would be this bad, and yet posters would say Henke won’t let them bottom out, and AV no longer being here will make them better, and that we should disregard the fact that from January 1 on last year, they had the worst record in the league. And, now that we’re here in this place, things need to happen. Some of us have been saying this is not going to be an easy process, and there is no guarantee it will work out in the end. And, while I’m one of the older posters on this board, I have been fully in favor of this approach. But one thing I have always noticed in my years of fandom is that most fans are an impatient bunch. Be it the opening night roster, the trade deadline or July 1, things need to happen yesterday. The McDonagh deal was supposed to be an immediate win, or Gorton got fleeced by Yzerman. Zuccarello needed to be traded at the deadline or Gorton blew it.

I know this rebuild is going to wear a lot of people down. But, truth is, we are still in the beginning phase of what is going to take place.

I'm going to sound like a jerk here, but it is what it is.

A lot of people have opinions about hockey, but not all opinions are equal. Not all of them are as informed, or experiences, or level-headed, or simply as well thought out. In that sense, it's really no different than every day life. However, there's a sense of empowerment for a lot of people on the internet. There's not the same sense of social restraint that takes place in face-to-face settings, and as a result you see a lot of really outlandish comments.

This team is a rebuilding team and one that is going to have spurts where it looks better than it is, and spurts where it looks worse than it is. But when all is said and done, the odds are heavily stacked towards this being a particularly poor team --- as in bottom 5 in the league.

We don't have a ton of a 21-23 year old talents, and so we are going to have to wait for the 18-20 year olds to mature and come along. I truly believe we do not give enough consideration to just how young our prospects are. This is going to take time. Unfortunately, patience is not a virtue in a society that continues to barrel towards the drug of instant gratification.

As you said, there are also no guarantees. Rebuilds don't come with crystal balls, or warranties, or save files so that one can reload from an earlier point in time and "get it right."

Rebuilds are risky, they involve trading the known for the unknown, and they require as much luck as they do brilliance. The difference between building around Hughes or not could very well come down to a lottery ball taking the right bounce, at the right time.

The Rangers will always have the advantage of being an attractive destination for free agents, so the comparisons to some other markets just isn't accurate at all.

Will the draft process be our savior? No, it will not.

But it does hold the potential to give us the best corps of young talent that this franchise has seen since around 1991.

I also have yet to anyone propose an alternative solution that is actually workable over the long haul.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Theres so much overthinking going on here lol.

It's amazing that the one season where we look like we may be in a position to get the 1OA, we're already crapping all over said player when he not only doesn't deserve it, but its clearly the best forward to come out of the draft in the last few years.

I shouldn't be surprised.

80040-thank-you-dear-sweet-baby-jesu-JvU1.jpg

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
Yeah, I think we've reached the time of year where we people start overthinking things and doing their best impression of Vizzini from The Princess Pride.

Hughes is the real deal.

yes. kid is gifted

hes nearly 2ppg guy. thats just crazy. look at his numbers at any level. mind boggling really. and look at what hes done relative to his peers and other big names. hes surpassed nearly everyone and that includes names like kessel, keller, modano, mcdavid and stamkos. hes right there with some dude named mathews too. his production speaks for itself.

international play, ushl, usntdp. doesnt matter. kid has produced with elite skills. hes relaxed and precise with the ability to process the game in slow motion but has the special ability to play the game faster than others. hes probably more talented than anyone else in this draft. period.

hes my consensus #1 and it isnt even close. i like others but this kid has it all.

Reactions: bernmeister

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
We will have 3 first round picks, 2 or 3 second round picks. I would not be surprised to see us trade up with those assets. I expect both Hayes and Zuccarello to return a first round pick in the 20-31 range.
That's what I thought last year but as the year went on I realized I simply didn't know enough to justify demanding a trade up. Too many questions about Zadina and svech for me.

In the end I think they nailed it with Kravt. I think they also nailed it with Miller although they still traded significantly more than they should've had to. It's possible they knew other teams were trying so they gave a massive overpay just to prevent a possible miss. We never get to hear about particulars like this though so it's hard to say if we just panic'd and overpaid or if we shrewdly cut out the competitions legs before a bidding war erupted.

Yep, this is a major problem right here. When you know the end is coming, there isn't much you can do.

Some of the young guys at least look like they are trying. ADA, Skjei, Howden, whoever gets called up for a cup of coffee. Problem is, the guys who know they are almost completely positively going to be sold--Hayes, Zucc, McQuaid--there isn't much else you can do for those guys. They're in dead-end jobs that they don't want to hold and they know they are going to be sold off soon
Hayes has busted his ass and responded when called out/benched. Zucc is just old and doesn't have the legs he used to. Neither of them matches what you're describing in terms of not trying. Almost every game the team puts forth a great effort. The talent and experience is not there, the finish is not there and the miscommunication/lack of coordination is causing defensive lapses and penalties.

Reactions: GodlyRangers

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
yes. kid is gifted

hes nearly 2ppg guy. thats just crazy. look at his numbers at any level. mind boggling really. and look at what hes done relative to his peers and other big names. hes surpassed nearly everyone and that includes names like kessel, keller, modano, mcdavid and stamkos. hes right there with some dude named mathews too. his production speaks for itself.

international play, ushl, usntdp. doesnt matter. kid has produced with elite skills. hes relaxed and precise with the ability to process the game in slow motion but has the special ability to play the game faster than others. hes probably more talented than anyone else in this draft. period.

hes my consensus #1 and it isnt even close. i like others but this kid has it all.

Exactly. This kid is the real deal, and for what ever reason, this place is already downplaying his ability.

Had the spent the entire season with the U-18 team (which he did at 16) last year, he would have shattered that points record, by a bunch.

We should be collectively foaming at the mouth at the prospect of adding him to our team. Instead, we're already crapping on him and looking for glaring holes in his game (some holes do exist, but those are holes that exist with pretty much every single draft eligible player.)

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
Exactly. This kid is the real deal, and for what ever reason, this place is already downplaying his ability.

Had the spent the entire season with the U-18 team (which he did at 16) last year, he would have shattered that points record, by a bunch.

We should be collectively foaming at the mouth at the prospect of adding him to our team. Instead, we're already crapping on him and looking for glaring holes in his game (some holes do exist, but those are holes that exist with pretty much every single draft eligible player.)

hole = size. nothing else.

kid is going to be point machine.

passing on him for anyone else in this draft would be suicide.

also, after last years draft and potentially this year and next too, this team could add some filthy talent. were not far off from being a juggernaut when you add in shesty and the kids weve acquired in last years deals. the stuff is there.

our drafting the prior 4-6 years has been rather bland. the results have been so-so. even the guys we consider "successes" are now potential trade fodder.

3-4 years from now we could be nasty. we may look back at this painful time as an awakening of sorts.

its an exciting time

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
yes. kid is gifted

In a class of incredibly talented players, especially forwards, Hughes stands out.

It's the way he sees the ice, anticipates plays and looks like he's playing a different game. It's the way he transforms the players he's paired with, and the way the rest of the offense falls in line around him.

There is no one else in this draft who elevates everything around him the way Hughes does. No one.

And when you consider how talented some of the other prospects are, that really says something.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad