Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part XIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fvital92

Jul 7, 2017
Brazil
Of course the year we suck there isn't a McDavid type player.
Well, Dahlin and Mathews weren't on McDavid's level so I won't complain if we have to settle down with Hughes or Kakko.

Podkolzin doesn't blow me away either.

Good prospect, but number-wise, not much more impressive than Kravtsov.

Kirby Dach is the guy I'm after if we're around the top 5 but not in Hughes/Kakko range.

That dude was playing in the WHL in his 15YO season. 27 in 16 so far this year.
Are you referring to analytics or stat sheet?

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
Hughes is far and away the top talent in this draft.

His skating is elite
His hockey sense is off the charts
His play making is the best in the draft
He makes everyone he plays with better

Pair him with a shooter and magic will happen

Only negative I can find - if you want to call it that is his size. With training and age he will gain strength and be even more dangerous.

He’s a true playmaking 1C and hes only player in this draft I would take 10 out of 10’times.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Of course the year we suck there isn't a McDavid type player.

Last three have gone to the Pens and Caps, who have that kind of generational player, but the 5 Cups before that were without. Kane, Toews, Keith, Kopitar, Doughty, Bergeron, and Chara are all great players. And they all are or were top-10 players in their positions, but none of them are like McDavid or Crosby. It would be nice, but it isn’t necessary.

Reactions: NewYorkNick

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Well, Dahlin and Mathews weren't on McDavid's level so I won't complain if we have to settle down with Hughes or Kakko.

Are you referring to analytics or stat sheet?
Stat sheet. Although it's early in his 17yo season yet.

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
I really question whether some of y'all have ever been in a freakin' locker room

Imagine if the locker room was entirely freshmen? Now compound that two or three times over and that is what it would be like if you start throwing away every person with experience in the NHL lol

I get the whole NHL2k18 sentiment, but there are some people here that for all their knowledge and research, they woefully lack practicality.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Stat sheet. Although it's early in his 17yo season yet.

Podkolzin is a completely different player though. I think I’m terms of upside they are close but Kravtsov is a much more complete player who dictates the play more often and plays all 3 zones. Podkolzin is a flashier player but more a “waiting for the right moment” guy. As Joey and I have brought up earlier this month, Dorofeyev is a guy to keep an eye on. I would not be surprised if he jumps into the top 10 late in the season

Reactions: Machinehead

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Podkolzin is a completely different player though. I think I’m terms of upside they are close but Kravtsov is a much more complete player who dictates the play more often and plays all 3 zones. Podkolzin is a flashier player but more a “waiting for the right moment” guy. As Joey and I have brought up earlier this month, Dorofeyev is a guy to keep an eye on. I would not be surprised if he jumps into the top 10 late in the season

I hate that we're doing this in October :(

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Here is the problem with the Rangers. All of those players know there is another sell off coming because Gorton said so earlier this month. These players are independent contractors. You think they care the other players? They care about themselves.

Some of them are concerned about their next contract.

Quinn spends every practice screaming at them like they are 19 year college kids.

The team stinks. The players know the organization is rebuilding and they don't fit in the rebuild. They know. They can read. Help is not coming to make them a better team. They are going to be sent off to another team to make the Rangers a better team down the road.

Quinn rips the team after the Chicago game and the Rangers come up with a worse performance against LA and their pop gun offense and back up goaltender.

Let this guy scream and yell because we aren't going to be here in 4 months.

Quinn screamed and yelled again yesterday. They spent a good portion of the practice working on line changes.

When the Rangers sent out the letter last February, the mood around the team was miserable. Management had thrown in the towel and was waving the white flag. Players knew trades were coming. The players which remained know they are next.

Rangers management got nothing out of their drafts from 2012-2016 and those players should be in the NHL. The Rangers are rebuilding and they lack players from that age group. Their young guys are 20 and under. They have a team full of "placeholders" which is Carpiniello's word and they know why they are here.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Thank you. And that’s good. Maybe Elias Pettersson or Mathew Barzal level?
Barzal level is what I expect from Hughes. I’m not too big on Hughes though. Kakko/Dach are very close to him as well with Cozens/Newhook/Podkolzin/not too far away as well.
Who we should target is Soderstrom/Seider with our (hopefully) 2nd 1st. They’re studs and RHD.

Reactions: Buchnevich89

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I hate that we're doing this in October :(

A lot can change between now and June when it comes to draft eligible players. Kravtsov wasn't even ranked to start the season, was barely rated as a 1st rounder in December and made it to the top 10. Podkolzin is already in that conversation in October which might play into our cards. We could see him drop to the late 10s which is probably where we'd have another pick after we trade our pending UFA veterans at the deadline. There's a lot to like this year when it comes to Swedish and Russian prospects in that range.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Here is the problem with the Rangers. All of those players know there is another sell off coming because Gorton said so earlier this month. These players are independent contractors. You think they care the other players? They care about themselves.

Some of them are concerned about their next contract.

Quinn spends every practice screaming at them like they are 19 year college kids.

The team stinks. The players know the organization is rebuilding and they don't fit in the rebuild. They know. They can read. Help is not coming to make them a better team. They are going to be sent off to another team to make the Rangers a better team down the road.

Quinn rips the team after the Chicago game and the Rangers come up with a worse performance against LA and their pop gun offense and back up goaltender.

Let this guy scream and yell because we aren't going to be here in 4 months.

Quinn screamed and yelled again yesterday. They spent a good portion of the practice working on line changes.

When the Rangers sent out the letter last February, the mood around the team was miserable. Management had thrown in the towel and was waving the white flag. Players knew trades were coming. The players which remained know they are next.

Rangers management got nothing out of their drafts from 2012-2016 and those players should be in the NHL. The Rangers are rebuilding and they lack players from that age group. Their young guys are 20 and under. They have a team full of "placeholders" which is Carpiniello's word and they know why they are here.

Not sure I'm seeing a problem.

The guys that are on the outs now have contracts to play for and any piss poor effort they put forth now and throughout the season is going to have an impact on that new deal.

They dont have to play hard for this coach, but if they cant even muster the effort to play hard for themselves, well then that's major character flaw on them.

Like I said, I dont see a problem here.

Its completely on the players to get their collective shit together for their own benefit

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com

The guys that are on the outs now have contracts to play for and any piss poor effort they put forth now and throughout the season is going to have an impact on that new deal.

They dont have to play hard for this coach, but if they cant even muster the effort to play hard for themselves, well then that's major character flaw on them.

Its completely on the players to get their collective **** together for their own benefit

They all have different agendas.

Reactions: Kovalev27

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ

Its completely on the players to get their collective **** together for their own benefit

Patience seems to be lacking here. Deals will be made when the right deal is available.

A lot of posters have said they are on board with this rebuild, and yet many still seem to not have understood what is going on here. It’s going to sound like I’m patting myself on the back, but, as one of the few posters who actually expected this team to be as bad as they are, I feel somewhat vindicated. I kept pointing out the deficiencies of this squad and why they would be this bad, and yet posters would say Henke won’t let them bottom out, and AV no longer being here will make them better, and that we should disregard the fact that from January 1 on last year, they had the worst record in the league. And, now that we’re here in this place, things need to happen. Some of us have been saying this is not going to be an easy process, and there is no guarantee it will work out in the end. And, while I’m one of the older posters on this board, I have been fully in favor of this approach. But one thing I have always noticed in my years of fandom is that most fans are an impatient bunch. Be it the opening night roster, the trade deadline or July 1, things need to happen yesterday. The McDonagh deal was supposed to be an immediate win, or Gorton got fleeced by Yzerman. Zuccarello needed to be traded at the deadline or Gorton blew it.

I know this rebuild is going to wear a lot of people down. But, truth is, we are still in the beginning phase of what is going to take place.

Last edited:

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
I don't understand that graph. Is it just based on current standings and lottery odds, or is it weighing other factors, like strength of schedule, remaining home vs away games, etc.? The lottery odds are what they are, and Detroit is behind us in the standings, so I would expect them to have the highest chance at 1st overall. Colorado is obviously the Ottawa pick, but Ottawa is 3 points ahead of us with 1 less game played.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad