Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part XIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
This team is actually in a pretty unique position. They have players like Hayes, Zuccarello, Kreider, McQuaid, Namestnikov, Spooner and others who should interest other teams. This isn't Edmonton where they had nothing to sell for years.

I'd be in favor of Gorton working the phones early to trade 1-2 guys and open up some playing time for guys like Chytil and ADA. Get in front of the deadline and give more minutes to other guys leading up to February when there will be more teams looking to buy in desperation.

Reactions: Rangers in 7

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
This team is actually in a pretty unique position. They have players like Hayes, Zuccarello, Kreider, McQuaid, Namestnikov, Spooner and others who should interest other teams. This isn't Edmonton where they had nothing to sell for years.

I'd be in favor of Gorton working the phones early to trade 1-2 guys and open up some playing time for guys like Chytil and ADA. Get in front of the deadline and give more minutes to other guys leading up to February when there will be more teams looking to buy in desperation.

Yeah, I dunno. I'm a little down on what the Rangers could acquire with any of those players. I'm not even so sure they'll be able to get any roster players that could make an immediate impact. They seem destined for a 1st rounder from a playoff team, and B level prospects in the best of scenarios.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Yeah, I dunno. I'm a little down on what the Rangers could acquire with any of those players. I'm not even so sure they'll be able to get any roster players that could make an immediate impact. They seem destined for a 1st rounder from a playoff team, and B level prospects in the best of scenarios.

I would agree with that. They don't have a Mike Hoffman or Erik Karlsson-like player who is a UFA to be. But to get picks/prospects from teams for guys like Hayes and Zuccarello allows them to re-stock the cupboard with solid depth pieces which they can use later on for other trades. The more solid assets the better. Even if they are all swing and misses, the more picks allows Gorton and company to be more aggressive, hypothetically.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Unless the trading team is sending back cap hit, I don't think there will be many offers for the Rangers players.

Usually those looking to contend are somewhat near to the cap already. If they are looking to rent they will likely wait until the cap hit of the rental is more prorated. Plus without knowing for sure playoffs or not they could be giving up a lottery pick, so they'd want protection.

Even if a team is looking to extend the traded for, I think they have to wait until Jan 1st to do so.

I guess an injury could play a part, but even then most teams just suck it up or make some small trade for depth.

I would think the deadline is when the movement will take place, maybe a couple days/weeks before.

If the Rangers are already looking to sell I think they'd be better off just finding some way to motivate those they want to sell. Take away the youngest rookies competition for playing time, tell the to be sold players they are playing for their next contracts one way or another and this is their opportunity to cash in on it or not.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Thanks. Yeah I had the wrong year for Kreider. The 2010 lottery had no change from the standings - teams picked exactly as they finished (with us at 10th OA)

Odds were pretty significantly more in favor of the teams at the very bottom then, so that’s not a surprise. IIRC, the last place team had like a 50% shot at 1OA.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
I don't think its a conspiracy. I just think the Rangers are unlucky.

i'm not sure you can even say its unlucky. aside from the crosby draft when everyone had the same shot at the top pick and last year when we were an extreme long shot, how many times have we even had a shot at the top pick?

its like saying that you didn't win the powerball cause its rigged and you have bad luck when really you didn't even buy a ticket.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
Day is the type of kid that you use a 3rd rounder on all day. Boom/bust.

Hopefully next year we do the same thing. We will likely get a great player between 1-5. Use one or two other 1sts/2nds on safe upside picks and then go for the home run swings with 3rd round and on. Sometimes they work. Sometimes they don't.

Hopefully we get a 1st for Hayes, a 1st for Zucc and a 2nd for McQuaid. If Tampa wins the cup we have four 1st rounders. If they don't we have three 1sts and two 2nds.

Swing away Jeff and Gordie. Swing away.

Especially if they have all the physical tools to dominate I never have a prob using a 3rd or later pick on that. Getting a solid, well built bottom pair/bottom 6 guy in the 3rd is great. I feel having everything, physical tool wise, increases the chances of landing that

Tob

Sep 16, 2017
Not gonna lie, the entertainment value of this board's nuclear, cataclysmic meltdown if we fall from 1 to 3 or 4...I'd kinda love reading it even as I add to the chorus of apoplectic insanity. I can only imagine.

Can the #31 team fall outside of top 3?

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Can the #31 team fall outside of top 3?
Put it this way

"Darren Dreger reports that minutes before the draft lottery, Commisioner Bettman has updated the rules. The last place team can now fall all the way to 15th in the draft if their ball is picked or all the way to 30th in the draft if their ball isn't picked. It's a special, one year rule. The NYR's, having finished last, prepare themselves..."

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
They really did go from an idiotic system that allows a team to get the 1OA 3 years in a row to an even more idiotic system where way too many teams have a chance at 1 and the worst team has way too low of a chance to pick within the top 2. This league is run from top to bottom by complete f***ing moronic assholes.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
They really did go from an idiotic system that allows a team to get the 1OA 3 years in a row to an even more idiotic system where way too many teams have a chance at 1 and the worst team has way too low of a chance to pick within the top 2. This league is run from top to bottom by complete ****ing moronic *******s.

Could be worse. The NBA team that wins the lottery has to give the pick to the Celtics every year.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
Anyone expecting any other draft lottery outcome that doesn't result in the Rangers falling as low as they possibly can isn't a real rangers fan.

I'm joking obviously, but you just know the way these things go. The one time we actually are transparent and committed to the rebuild, basically the first time ever, you just KNOW it's going to end in heartbreak for us. That's the Rangers way and this is, after all, Rangerstown™.

Don Chytil

Jan 14, 2010
Queens
Right. Which isn't to claim that the league is conspiring against us. It's just a reality of the luck involved with being a Rangers fan.

At first I thought he was being cynical about the Rangers chances too, but it's not even about luck, it's just math. If you finish 1st, there's a 50.6% chance you get the 4th pick. Which makes it most likely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad