Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part XI

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
So we're likely getting scratches to Shattenkirk and Pionk if neither of them are practicing on the PP? Bad. Good.

Think Claesson will impress a lot of people.

The fact that they aren't on the PP even in practice indicates that they scouted the Sharks and are practicing for the game in front of them.

I like the approach..

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I'm not a patient man by nature... in my line of work it's detrimental in most facets.

But with a rebuilding team, a new coach (not just to this team but in the NHL) with a lot of young guys (and some boat anchors) I'm going to do my best.

It's not going to be easy to remember, but this is a process that won't be over anytime soon... but I'm trying to believe that AT LEAST we are on the right path now.

Yeah I agree for sure. And the right part thing — for example — won’t really change by Quinn maybe not making 100% great decisions, certain players being shaky, vets showing their true colors and so forth.

I am more worried about the big picture stuff, the long commitments on the blueline and so forth. If we over the coming two years does a fairly good job and start to have an intriguing team in all areas but the blueline — what do we do if half the blueline is populated by three ugly vets making a ton of money that we can’t get rid of? What is Gorts plan with this ice berg? Did he really do enough this summer? Should picks have been tossed around to get rid of contracts if none were moveable? One aspect here is that this is Gorts mess, he created it with the Shatty AND Smith signing.

That worries me more. The other thing is just noise.

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
I'm not a patient man by nature... in my line of work it's detrimental in most facets.

But with a rebuilding team, a new coach (not just to this team but in the NHL) with a lot of young guys (and some boat anchors) I'm going to do my best.

It's not going to be easy to remember, but this is a process that won't be over anytime soon... but I'm trying to believe that AT LEAST we are on the right path now.

Completely OT but what line of work are you in? I'm having trouble trying to work out jobs/work places where patience would be a detriment

NewLife

Apr 29, 2011
Oslo
I'll have to update my position that the rebuild ends in two years. My previous take being: we have the Russian invasion next season and after one year of gelling we attack. It'll take longer I fear.

The rebuild will end when we are ridden of the three contracts, that is MS, BS and the King. When these are off the books, we are safe from immovable contracts and left with a minimal Dan Girardy buy-out.

Starting with the 2021-22 season we should have Breadman, loads of new talented prospects, Lias, Chytil, Howden and Co. are vets by that time.
I still don't mind the rebuild, if it's done right. Panarin is the best UFA option there is for us. Elite! talent, a ppg-player, still young, wants to come here. Sign him. 8.5m/y, easy money. It's a safe bet with Breadman, not like all our other FA signings ... just make sure we have the cap.
Panarin will be interesting to follow, I would love to bet a large chunk on him going to NY. Money will be there and he reportedly wants to go and it makes a lot of sense.

If the "invasion" pans out though and a defense with some actual talent comes around the blue line when Staal and McQuaid goes...
Hank is going to stay his contract here. Why complain though? Think he gain a lot from being challenged by Igor and most likely be a great mentor playing fifty fifty, riding who's hot. Would anyone be surprised to see him on fire in the playoffs in two, three years?

Reactions: TheTakedown and RGY

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Rangers coach Quinn sends bold message by benching Shattenkirk, Hayes

In addition, Quinn doesn't hesitate to stop drills in practice if he doesn't like what he's seeing.

He did it Wednesday, when the Rangers were working on the power play but passing the puck around the perimeter, passing up opportunities to find shooting lanes. Quinn got in the middle of zone and loudly said, "Shoot the [darn] thing. This isn't a beauty contest. Get pucks to the net."

Love it

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
Yeah I agree for sure. And the right part thing — for example — won’t really change by Quinn maybe not making 100% great decisions, certain players being shaky, vets showing their true colors and so forth.

I am more worried about the big picture stuff, the long commitments on the blueline and so forth. If we over the coming two years does a fairly good job and start to have an intriguing team in all areas but the blueline — what do we do if half the blueline is populated by three ugly vets making a ton of money that we can’t get rid of? What is Gorts plan with this ice berg? Did he really do enough this summer? Should picks have been tossed around to get rid of contracts if none were moveable? One aspect here is that this is Gorts mess, he created it with the Shatty AND Smith signing.

That worries me more. The other thing is just noise.

There won't be a 100% pain free solution to the blue-line but I don't think it's a situation that will hamper us too much going forward. Even with their current struggles IMO Shatty and Smith are both viewed around the league as at least bottom pairing guys who can play a regular shift, and therefore are movable. You may have to eat some salary, trade a pick with them or take a less than ideal contract back, but that's not the end of the world.

I can't see Staal going anywhere, but if he's played as a 6/7 it wouldn't be the end of the world for 2 more seasons, and even if bought-out, his buyout isn't too bad while you have a guy like Hajek on an ELC who can likely step in for him

Reactions: TheTakedown

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
Panarin would speed up this rebuild for sure.

I disagree.
Panarin alone is going to make a bit of difference.
Panarin + Karlsson? Different story.
I was really hoping that Seguin would become a UFA.
Add all 3 and now we're going places..

rangerfan_79

Jun 1, 2007
justanfyi.com
Skip the big name UFA's for now.
- Will be picking top 3 this year
- Keep up the high scoring games...pad stats for potential trade
- Let the big contracts wind down another year.
In the mean time we play musical chairs with the young players to see what we have. Eventually some will become core and support players, rest will be stop gap or moved in a deal. Will be a tough couple of years but it was long overdue.

Reactions: Off Sides

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
The key will be whether Gorton can find a way out of a few of those defenders contracts. Smith and Staal at the top of the list. Shattenkirk would be on the list too for me. If he can do that, he’s got tons of cap space

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
The key will be whether Gorton can find a way out of a few of those defenders contracts. Smith and Staal at the top of the list. Shattenkirk would be on the list too for me. If he can do that, he’s got tons of cap space
Zbad and Skjei are the only ones on contract after 2021... that's when this team will be ready to compete... Gorts obviously designed it that way (Yes Girardi buyout is there, very small and Hank)

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Cap space for what?

To sign more bad contracts?

The same people who wanted Shattankirk and every other big name now want Panarin. That's not going to change anything.

The Rangers have so much work to do with their team.

Gorton needs to rip the team down to the foundation and they build it back up again.

Gorton talked about "timing" last week when he was asked about free agency. He would look to add a player when the Rangers had their pieces in place and that player could help them take the next step.

Check back in 2-3 years when all of the young guys are of legal drinking age.

Reactions: Off Sides

TheDirtyH

Jul 5, 2013
Chicago
Cap space for what?

The same people who wanted Shattankirk and every other big name now want Panarin. That's not going to change anything.

Gorton needs to rip the team down to the foundation and they build it back up again.

Gorton talked about "timing" last week when he was asked about free agency. He would look to add a player when the Rangers had their pieces in place and that player could help them take the next step.

Hard to argue Panarin's impact on a team. Chicago and Columbus are both easy 'before/after photos'...

Timing is always right for a player of that caliber at that age. No significant injury history. Panarin alone might not make a team a contender, but collecting draft picks/prospect at the deadline and draft for UFAs and vets, drafting high and often this summer, then adding Panarin accomplishes a lot at once in a rebuild.

It's also not an unprecedented move. New Jersey and Colorado just got lifted to the playoffs on the backs of single players last year. Are their rebuilds now f***ed up? Is our defense next year really worse than New Jersey's was last year? Sami Vatanen was their best d-man, Andy Greene's on their top pair.

Is Panarin at 27 (~320 NHL GP) a declining asset? What messes up the 'timing' in this case?

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I understand RB’s point and I agree this is a longer rebuild than most want to admit, but I don’t think signing a big name UFA is such a bad thing.

Eventually, we will need to supplement the rebuild guys with some veterans. I also think it’s smarter to pay now for a lower price than what we’d pay in 2-3 years for what will likely be a worse veteran UFA than Panarin. Look at the upcoming UFA’s for the next 2-3 years.

Adding Panarin wouldn’t mean the rebuild is over and you have to make smart decisions. Signing Shattenkirk and Smith was not smart. Overpaying in UFA for non-elite players is a bad idea. Panarin is an elite player. That’s the type of signing to consider.

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
Cap space for what?

Just because we have a college coach doesn't mean we need to have a college team

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
Cap space for what?

You can harp all you want about Shattenkirk but the fact is, no matter how bad he is, you will never be right because his contract will never harm us, it's too short. Already year 2, you say yourself to check back in 2-3 years. He'll be off the books.

Or maybe we can wait more than 3 games after he was hurt half of last year to consider it a bad signing.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Cap space for what?

We're projected to be a bottom 5 team. If that's not "down to the foundation", then you're just as senseless as all these other crazies asking for a team of 19 year olds... Thank God you are not GM

effen

Feb 3, 2018
There hasn't been someone complaining about Marc Staal in the last 4 posts, someone fix that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad