Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part XI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
Zucc would score 65+ easy on Toronto or Edmonton or someplace like that.

But someone here said he's so bad he doesn't belong in this league :rolleyes:

I'm worried he's going to re-sign with the Rangers. But as you say, a team like Toronto would be a great place for him. Or Pittsburgh where he'll find a couple of close friends. Also he'll earn more $$.

RempireStateBuilding

Dec 13, 2009
NY
I don't think ADA is sitting because the staff thinks he sucks or is a bad apple. He has had a couple decent or better games and a couple not so much, the last of which gave Claesson an opportunity after not playing at all to start the season. Claesson isn't going to provide ADA's offensive game or overall (possible) upside, but seems to me he's helped as a stabilizing force and it's not completely accidental that the D has been somewhat more effective with him in there. So, currently his contribution is being found more valuable. I'm sure the next time Claesson or anyone else not named Staal has a really weak game or two, ADA will be rotated back in to see what benefit he may have obtained from being provided some time to watch and reflect. There doesn't have to be anything sinister or stupid about him riding the pine. The team wants to win, and at present he is as much a #7 defenseman as anyone else here.

There's always a lot of chatter about easing the kids/younger players into their roles, then the second it happens it's an indictment on the whole organization.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Maybe they just want to watch what should be a really exciting game. :laugh:

Toronto and the Rangers checked in with each other numerous times last year, even though a deal never materialized.

I wouldn’t be the least bit surprised if there’s some renewed interest.

The Leafs could be looking for help on the wings, with or without Nylander in the fold.

People on here keep mentioning Kapenen, but I would definitely mark myself down as not being entirely sold on him.

The numbers look good this season, but having watched Kapenen for several years, there’s a little bit of that deja vu feeling as it relates to Namestnikov.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
My gut tells me Zucc brings back a first and a B prospect.

My gut also tells me that he would do very well on a team where he's playing support guy to an established, young NHL talent.

Similar to the ghost of Rick Nash, he's exactly the kind of player teams love to bring in at the deadline.

But if the Leafs end up trading Nylander, he's also a guy I could see them jumping on early to make a statement. Deal Nylander for a top-4 defensemen and flip some futures for Zucc to fill that open winger spot? Yowza.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
There's always a lot of chatter about easing the kids/younger players into their roles, then the second it happens it's an indictment on the whole organization.

Personally, I believe we don’t take into account the age and experience of some our of our prospects. We don’t really have a top prospect who is coming in at 22 with nothing left to prove at the AHL level.

We’re typcially talking about teenagers or guys who have played less than 100 pro games.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Similar to the ghost of Rick Nash, he's exactly the kind of player teams love to bring in at the deadline.

But if the Leafs end up trading Nylander, he's also a guy I could see them jumping on early to make a statement. Deal Nylander for a top-4 defensemen and flip some futures for Zucc to fill that open winger spot? Yowza.

Zucc is also potentially a player who provides a big payoff, on a modest investment, and without a long-term obligation.

He’s not being brought in as a focal point, he’s potentially playing with any of their top centers in a support role — which is ideal for him.

His contract is reasonable, and expiring. Heck, the Rangers could even carry some of it ups the return — which still wouldn’t be obscene.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Toronto and the Rangers checked in with each other numerous times last year, even though a deal never materialized.

The Leafs could be looking for help on the wings, with or without Nylander in the fold.

People on here keep mentioning Kapenen, but I would definitely mark myself down as not being entirely sold on him.

The numbers look good this season, but having watched Kapenen for several years, there’s a little bit of that deja vu feeling as it relates to Namestnikov.

Well the word is Dubas went to meet with Nylander's camp in Europe yesterday. So maybe that didn't go as planned and the Leafs gave Gorton a call about Zucc's price. Could certainly make sense. I have a hard time seeing us as a player for Nylander unless it's a bigger deal, but looking at some other pieces in preparation for establishing a list of acceptable returns for Zucc? Definitely.

I like Kapanen. I don't think he'll ever be a driver on a line but I think he has the ability to play well with high-end players. If nothing else he might be a guy the Rangers could shop for another asset.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island

I wonder if Toronto is monitoring Brendan Smith

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Zucc is also potentially a player who provides a big payoff, on a modest investment, and without a long-term obligation.

He’s not being brought in as a focal point, he’s potentially playing with any of their top centers in a support role — which is ideal for him.

His contract is reasonable, and expiring. Heck, the Rangers could even carry some of it ups the return — which still wouldn’t be obscene.

Yeah 50-60 points at $2.25M for the rest of the year is pretty darn attractive.

I'm just not sure who is in the Leafs lineup that the Rangers would be scouting. Maybe it's not the Leafs at all and the Rangers are finally going to get Daniel Sprong. :laugh:

Reactions: TheTakedown

LaffyTaffy

Brooklyn-Belarussian
Feb 1, 2016
Brooklyn, NY
I think we're just doing due diligence on two teams that have needs and the means by which to attain them, and needs which we can fulfill.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I still just don’t see Nylander being a Rangers-Leafs discussion.

Now I think Zucc could be on the table, with or without Nylander in the Leafs lineup.

I also don’t see a hypothetical deal involving Zucc being based around a roster player as the centerpiece, though it is not out of the question. My guess is you’d be looking at pick/prospect combos.

Having said that, if the Leafs are potential trade partners, the Rangers would be wise to at least have a familiarity with their lineup. You never know if/when a deal expands a little like it did with Tampa or Boston.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Josh Leivo would be the guy I think.

I could see a rental deal for McQuaid to TOR as a depth piece.

Just don't see a blockbusters deal between the two.

Vesey's old man used to work for them. Maybe they've got interest in Jimbo.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I think we're just doing due diligence on two teams that have needs and the means by which to attain them, and needs which we can fulfill.

I think you will see a good amount of that over the next 12 weeks — Scouting Teams that potentially have higher odds of being trade partners down the lineup.

You want a familiarity with the organization, and you want a little more observation time to notice trends.

Reactions: TheKingsCourt
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->