Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part XI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Zucc have different options in Dallas, Anaheim, hell even with Nucks so it should be possible to get something from him. I just hope he can increase his trade value in this season, but I`m a bit worried about the current system that won`t fit him too well since he is a highly skilled player.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
it's like 90% accurate

;)

Same voices of reason as you'd expect. However, I'm bit surprised that there seems to be less hysteria than I'd expected after no points to start the season. It might be though because my ignore options work as intended.

Reactions: TheBPA

CTRanger

N9Y4R
Jun 20, 2006
The Gold Coast
This thread has become hilarious!! Hilarious!!

What did people realistically expect? This team was/is going to struggle, we knew that. The D is made up of #4-AHL dmen. Shattenkirk is great in the O zone but has always been terrible in his own zone, and slow footed. We have some solid F’s but no one that has game breaking ability or drives play.

I was really hoping all the kids started in the A and still hope they send most down. Chytil and Pionk both deserved to be sent down out of camp with Andersson and Hajek to play in the A. They have a chance to have a real good team in Hartford. Win together grow together. Call them up after the new year as they deserve. I thought Howden would be better served starting in Hartford also but so far he has shown me he might be better served in the National, we’ll see.

This is a transition period the likes of which I have not seen in almost 40 yrs as a NYR fan. It’s been a long time coming. We are going to be a bad team for a couple years, enjoy.

I’ll go back to mostly lurking and laughing now.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Not for nothing but a lot of this reaction is because of Quinn’s reaction. Throwing things into a blender because of a bad night, going to 11/7, benching veterans. All the first week of the season. That looks panicky on his end. Fans are just reacting to a perception of chaos that really the coach himself is putting out there with his decisions.

Based off first two games there was no reason to go nuts in game 3 with that 11/7 garbage. You have a brand new team and system that decision was bound to lead to chaos and it did. Then you follow it up this morning benching veterans and throwing lines into a blender like AV used to do when he was panicking.

No reason to excude panic and throw the game plan out the window after the first week of hockey. Chytil benched and now on the 4th line? What the hell is that? That’s not sticking with the plan.

So in a lot of ways Quinn is doing some self inflicted damage.

I agree with much of that, yet I think it goes back to the roster they picked to open the season with and I'm not sure it should all be on Quinn.

They have a new to the NHL coach, and like 7 players who could also be considered new to the NHL if we consider those on their entry levels to be new to the NHL. Out of those 7 only Buch, ADA, Pionk have played in more than like 12 NHL games.

They have a couple players who should be at the turning point toward becoming vets if we consider those who are on their 2nd contracts to be doing so.

Then they have vets who are on their 3rd or later contracts, one or two of which are playing for reasons other than their on ice effectiveness.

It was kind of inevitable either Howden or Chytil were going to end up playing 4th line minutes, which before the season I don't think anyone would have said is good for prospects who could maybe project as more than that. No one is complaining about Lettieri on the 4th line because that is more of less where he projects to be if he makes the NHL going forward.

It was inevitable that they were going to have to pick and choose between Shattenkirk, Pionk, ADA, McQuaid on the RD. It was inevitable they were going to play Staal, Skjei, Smith on LD.

I don't see how that sort of roster was ever going to be non chaotic. Once it became that, they started to think about playing 7D, and are now putting their likely best offensive near NHL ready prospect on the 4th line.

Even if we go by their opening night roster, it leaves out ADA, it has Howden pegged as a 4th liner. Is/was that a good plan or should they just have left one or even both of Howden or Chytil down, not traded for McQuaid or figured to play him on LD?

The resistance to maybe moving McQuaid to LD? When they were supposedly contending having Holden switch sides, having Smith on his unnatural side was perceived as a need because they did not have any other RD. Yet when they are rebuilding and have a need to find spots for two hopefully developing RD they don't see it as an option to move someone over to make room?

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
The Sharks just blew Philly out of their own building, won 8-2, 48 shots on goal :help:

Kane & Karlsson...here they come.

I don't want to watch the upcoming slaughter tomorrow...poor Hank.

Reactions: TheTakedown

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
The resistance to maybe moving McQuaid to LD? When they were supposedly contending having Holden switch sides, having Smith on his unnatural side was perceived as a need because they did not have any other RD. Yet when they are rebuilding and have a need to find spots for two hopefully developing RD they don't see it as an option to move someone over to make room?

Holden and Smith both had plenty of experience playing RD. That's the difference.

Wait until we have some injuries, things will seem a little more stable.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Holden and Smith both had plenty of experience playing RD. That's the difference.

Wait until we have some injuries, things will seem a little more stable.

Smith only did because Detroit also had no RD for much of his time there, and his best season there came playing LD with Green on his right.

Holden in his last season with Colorado spent most of his time at LD with Tyson Barrie as his RD

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
The Rangers were 4-7 last October. They were nearly 3-8. They played Las Vegas on Halloween and were training by 2 goals headed into the 3rd. Perron nearly made it a 3 goal lead early in the 3rd. The Rangers rallied and won the game. Vegas had all of those goaltending injuries early last season. The Rangers were the beneficiary.

They have 12 games this month. They are already 0-3. They dropped two games to two teams they always beat. Buffalo and Carolina. They were 7-0 against them last season.

How many games will they win this month?

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Smith only did because Detroit also had no RD for much of his time there, and his best season there came playing LD with Green on his right.

Holden in his last season with Colorado spent most of his time at LD with Tyson Barrie as his RD

Point is that MacQuaid lacks this experience.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Point is that MacQuaid lacks this experience.

They were moved to RD because of a need that team had at that time, not because those teams thought they were better at that side.

Rangers have a need to have two open RD spots for both Pionk and ADA.

Why is it only a option to move someone over because the team does not have enough RD and not an option to do so when they have too many RD?

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC

Both of those players played hockey before they were in the NHL. Smith spent time in college on the right side and what does it matter where he played his best season as a LD (which is debatable)? That doesn't somehow eliminate his RD experience. I remember Joe talking about Holden having played on the right in the past. If you get a guy to move over early in his career, he can play competently on his off-side. McQuaid isn't early in his career.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Both of those players played hockey before they were in the NHL. Smith spent time in college on the right side and what does it matter where he played his best season as a LD (which is debatable)? That doesn't somehow eliminate his RD experience. I remember Joe talking about Holden having played on the right in the past. If you get a guy to move over early in his career, he can play competently on his off-side. McQuaid isn't early in his career.

So a rebuilding team, instead of trying McQuaid at LD they are better off scratching one of Pionk or ADA when Shattenkirk returns?

I mean there are only so many options.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
So a rebuilding team, instead of trying McQuaid at LD they are better off scratching one of Pionk or ADA when Shattenkirk returns?

I mean there are only so many options.

As I've said in the past, if either of those guys can't beat out McQuaid, they should be in the AHL.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
The Rangers were 4-7 last October. They were nearly 3-8. They played Las Vegas on Halloween and were training by 2 goals headed into the 3rd. Perron nearly made it a 3 goal lead early in the 3rd. The Rangers rallied and won the game. Vegas had all of those goaltending injuries early last season. The Rangers were the beneficiary.

They have 12 games this month. They are already 0-3. They dropped two games to two teams they always beat. Buffalo and Carolina. They were 7-0 against them last season.

How many games will they win this month?

Let's delve even deeper into this:

They have 12 games in October

NSH - L
BUF - L
CAR - L
SJ -
EDM -
COL -
WSH -

CAL -
FLA -
CHI -
LA -
SJ -

November schedule has 14 games
ANA -
BUF -
MON -
DET -
CLB -
VAN -
NYI -
FLA -
DAL -
NYI -
PHI -
WSH -

OTT -
OTT -

That schedule, specifically the one in November, is not difficult.
Buffalo twice
Carolina once
Ottawa twice
Vancouver once
Montreal once
Islanders twice
Detroit once
Edmonton once

10 out of the total 26 teams they play were in the playoffs last year. No Pittsburgh. Philly once. Columbus once. No TB. No BOS. If they were going to make a run and accrue some points it needs to be in these two months where their schedule is not difficult.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
As I've said in the past, if either of those guys can't beat out McQuaid, they should be in the AHL.

I have seen you post about roles in the past, do you think either of them are going to replace the role of McQuaid and it is some sort of competition for his role?

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Yeah no Shatty on the PP means he's a scratch.

Coach is showing no hesitation to bench vets who are underperforming.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino