Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part XI

Status
Not open for further replies.

E-Train

Feb 27, 2002
New Jersey
Stop raining on my parade, I want to do A without doing B.

That has probably somehow less than 0% chance of actually happening, and even then I'm probably way too optimistic about how that team would perform.
I would prefer to do A without doing B as well.

There's also a decent chance that your lineup will have Hughes or Kakko in it. Signing Panarin might seem like accelerating the process but you'd have him for beyond just 2019-20. It's a no brainer if he wants to be here.

Reactions: Rongomania

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
I would prefer to do A without doing B as well.

There's also a decent chance that your lineup will have Hughes or Kakko in it. Signing Panarin might seem like accelerating the process but you'd have him for beyond just 2019-20. It's a no brainer if he wants to be here.
I'd love to, but that chance is probably <15-20%. Nothing to count on. Agreed on the no-brainer in signing Panarin no matter what if he wants to be here.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
The whole rushing the rebuild is so weird to me

The team has been rebuilding since the day they traded Stepan away. After this season, they will have had 3 top 10 picks in the draft, and potentially 7-8 first round picks total.

How many more shitty seasons do they need to have?

If they sign Panarin, and somehow win Hughes, the "rebuild" was almost certainly be over

Also, just because the rebuild is over, doesn't mean there will be an exodus of picks and assets like Sather was doing.

All these teams that are competing now are stingy as hell and don't move assets unless they absolutely need to.

Reactions: TheTakedown

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008

The team has been rebuilding since the day they traded Stepan away. After this season, they will have had 3 top 10 picks in the draft, and potentially 7-8 first round picks total.

How many more ****ty seasons do they need to have?

If they sign Panarin, and somehow win Hughes, the "rebuild" was almost certainly be over

Also, just because the rebuild is over, doesn't mean there will be an exodus of picks and assets like Sather was doing.

All these teams that are competing now are stingy as hell and don't move assets unless they absolutely need to.

I'd go with at least two more ****ty seasons where they sell off whatever they can at the deadlines.

If after all those picks/prospects they do not come away with some elite/near elite skaters I'd gladly see them go back to can kicking. It's not that I think they will get those elite talents, more so they would have an opportunity to do so. If they screw it up they will go back to can kicking anyway and I'm not really in a hurry to see that again without at least seeing how the other stuff plays out first.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Keep in mind that you're not adding Panarin in a vacuum. If this team adds Panarin in the off-season, it's not just the current roster minus Hayes and plus Panarin. If GMJG decides to add Panarin, it's a clear "we're going for it again" move, and he'll make other adjustments as well to improve the team immediately.

Why is it clear?

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
The team has basically traded for the 2016 draft they wanted.
I'd go with at least two more ****ty seasons where they sell off whatever they can at the deadlines.
You're saying two more bad season after this current one? I personally don't think Gorton has that amount of time to make it work if that's the case

With all the sell offs, and draft picks, if they can't get their shit together for a good team in another year or so, the entire management and scouting department needs to go.

Reactions: Graves94

kenfury

Feb 5, 2011
Sabres fan here. Speaking of roster building and trading Vets, what the heck happened to Brendan Smith? I know he broke his hand after getting sent down but he looked good with the Wings then turned to hot garbage after signing his contract.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC

How many more ****ty seasons do they need to have?

I think it's dangerous to try and force ourselves into labels like "rebuilding" or "competing."

We're trying to win a Stanley Cup, just like every other team in the league. It's just that each team has different needs at different times.

You do what's best for your team at the time.

Maybe signing Panarin when he hits UFA is our best option at the time. Like you said, that doesn't mean we start sending 1st round picks to anybody who will pick up the phone.

Rebuilding/competing isn't a light switch. It's way more symbiotic than that.

Last edited:

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
Sabres fan here. Speaking of roster building and trading Vets, what the heck happened to Brendan Smith? I know he broke his hand after getting sent down but he looked good with the Wings then turned to hot garbage after signing his contract.
Some say he got fat, others think he got scapegoated. Everyone will tell you he dropped 21 lbs over the summer.

I think he'll be back to his usual (good) self this year, but I also think the Rangers should move him at the deadline if an opportunity presents itself.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
The team has basically traded for the 2016 draft they wanted.

You're saying two more bad season after this current one? I personally don't think Gorton has that amount of time to make it work if that's the case

With all the sell offs, and draft picks, if they can't get their **** together for a good team in another year or so, the entire management and scouting department needs to go.

I think of it more at looking at their current cap structure and the pending UFAs.

They have Zucc, Hayes this year

Kreider, Name, Spooner, Vesey, Fast, the next

Lundqvist, Staal, Smith, Shattenkirk the next.

If they are not good in any of those seasons I would assume they will sell them off as rentals (if not before hand), I don't think even if they add Panarin and others it can make them good enough to not sell as most of those pending UFA players will still be with them as that process plays out.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
In my opinion, if you don't have faith in the organization to 'go for it' and become a competitor instantly after singing Panarin, then you shouldn't have faith in them to properly construct a rebuild, either.
Fair point but I and others have signed on for a true build through the draft mentality and product.

Rushing through that aspect isn’t what I signed up for.

Panarin doesn’t instantly make us a contender. Drafting more talent (hopefully elite) will, but it takes time.

Again I’m not against Panarin... sign him. But don’t change the course until we are a couple years into his contract and hope he’s still elite then.

I just don’t see the defense here. That’s all

kenfury

Feb 5, 2011
He was out of shape. And he was unfocused... not sure if those things are necessarily related, but you see them at the same time relatively often.

Understood, funny enough that's not just in sports but for people in general. They get unfocused and things start slipping; haircut, weight, messy desk, etc..

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004

He was overrated as a Red Wing and now he's overrated and out of shape as a Ranger.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
He got fat. Then he lost an undisclosed amount of weight but there are rumors it was 1.5 stone.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
I think it's also worth pointing out if they finished 31st, they'd have a 49.4% chance of picking top 3
You'r enot getting Hughes or Kakko at 3OA. You're getting "Gordie's guy". But for the sake of the team, if we finish 31st, which I also have my doubts about, I really hope we get that top-2 pick.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
At the end of the day how bad this team is going to be this year will handle itself no matter what we want... as will our place in the draft.

Team is about to go 0-4 and probably 1-6

They’re already digging a hole & while getting out COULD happen I’d venture to say this roster isn’t capable of any type of big run.

The defense is at least 2 years away

Reactions: Rongomania
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad