Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part XI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Now they are losing me. Scratching Shattenkirk to hold him accountable is fine. Scratching Shattenkirk to hold him accountable while simultaneously allowing Staal to remain anchored to the defense is absolutely ****ing asinine.

It usually isn't the case that a player gets scratched for "bad play" in the sense of poor performance. Usually, it's more that they get scratched for not playing up to their ability. Staal's ability isn't nearly as good as Shattenkirk's, but of the two, Staal is definitely the one playing closer to his ability (such as it is).

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
It usually isn't the case that a player gets scratched for "bad play" in the sense of poor performance. Usually, it's more that they get scratched for not playing up to their ability. Staal's ability isn't nearly as good as Shattenkirk's, but of the two, Staal is definitely the one playing closer to his ability (such as it is).

If Staal's maximum playing ability is 2/10 and Shattenkirks is 7/10, but Shatty is only playing to a 5/10 and Staal is playing to a 1.5/10, it is still a ridiculously poor decision IMO.

Machinehead

GoAwayKakko
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
If Staal's maximum playing ability is 2/10 and Shattenkirks is 7/10, but Shatty is only playing to a 5/10 and Staal is playing to a 1.5/10, it is still a ridiculously poor decision IMO.

It's more like Shattenkirk is playing 5/10 when he could play 7/10, and Staal is playing pineapples/10 when that's pretty much all he's capable of.

So yeah, it's a ridiculously poor decision.

By that standard, I should get a look. I can't play at all so I'm meeting expectations.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC

Healthy scratches are about sending a message to the player and the team. For young players, who are going to make a lot of mistakes, the message should be "play as well as you're capable" not "don't mess up."

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
It's more like Shattenkirk is playing 5/10 when he could play 7/10, and Staal is playing pineapples/10 when that's pretty much all he's capable of.

So yeah, it's a ridiculously poor decision.

By that standard, I should get a look. I can't play at all so I'm meeting expectations.

If you were on the team, and were playing up to your ability of not being able to play at all, Shattenkirk would get scratched before you.

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
Quinn doesn't give Shatty any privileges just because of their friendship based on earlier years, didn't give him an A either. That's interesting...but good.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
To be fair, ADA proved last game that he is the more capable PPQB which is pretty much Shattenkirk's main weapon. So if we just look at it like ADA in for Shattenkirk that makes sense. Not defending leaving Staal in but that's one way to look at it

Machinehead

GoAwayKakko
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
If you were on the team, and were playing up to your ability of not being able to play at all, Shattenkirk would get scratched before you.

Good to know Shattenkirk would get scratched before me. Reeks of accountability.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Healthy scratches are about sending a message to the player and the team. For young players, who are going to make a lot of mistakes, the message should be "play as well as you're capable" not "don't mess up."
Again. I get it. That doesn't change the fact that sending a message 2-3 games into the season is a poor idea.

Also, keep in mind, I don't dislike Staal as much as some here do. This decision just perplexes me a bit. Well, more than a bit. A whole hell of a lot.

Reactions: Machinehead

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
So just to get it straight, rebuilding team puts their best offensive forward prospects on the 4th line, puts their best defensive prospects with Staal after putting their 2nd best defensive prospect with Staal, and I am the crazy, unclear, lacking context poster for having concerns.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Again. I get it. That doesn't change the fact that sending a message 2-3 games into the season is a poor idea.

Also, keep in mind, I don't dislike Staal as much as some here do. This decision just perplexes me a bit.

We're almost 4 weeks into Quinn's tenure as coach.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
To me you look at the two vets he’s benched. Hayes and Shatty its the two guys he has the best relationship with and probably the two guys he could pull aside and say look I’m doing this to spark the team have my back here.

He’s not doing it to staal because he doesn’t have the relationship to do it.

It’s not the easy way out completely but it’s also not the toughest either.

Staal should be sat. And Zucc should have been benched too.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
So just to get it straight, rebuilding team puts their best offensive forward prospects on the 4th line, puts their best defensive prospects with Staal after putting their 2nd best defensive prospect with Staal, and I am the crazy, unclear, lacking context poster for having concerns.

Correct

Reactions: Off Sides
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->