Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part XI

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
He did seem better already but he also seemed like he would still learn and grow plenty by being the AHL for a bit.

He was our best LD during camp. Wasn’t really close either. Staal was easily the worst D at camp regardless of handedness.

At the very least, he earned the opportunity to get a longer look at the NHL level. But we can’t upset Staal.

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
While I wasn't big on the idea of bringing Quinn in, I think you have to cut him a little slack for now and look more towards the players.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with trying to instill some accountability right out of the gate so I'm happy to see players that didn't show up to camp ready to leave everything on the ice, take a fkn seat.

That brings me to the system.

Of course there is going to be some what of a learning curve until things become second nature but if you look at the actual system, it's a billion times easier to play for all players involved.
They actually started to put it together during PS but the difference now that the competition is getting a little stiffer, the players just aren't putting in the hard work in order to compensate.

So who's really to blame here?
This is clearly on the players.

You can expect to have a poor record with this current roster but there's absolutely no excuse to not step up, play the right way and put in work..

Reactions: nyrage

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Yeah I see no problem with Hajek playing in the AHL. He's got a few things to learn at the pro level that he can work on in the AHL. If he was clearly ready with nothing to learn in the A then I'd be more annoyed at Staal playing over him

While I wasn't big on the idea of bringing Quinn in, I think you have to cut him a little slack for now and look more towards the players.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with trying to instill some accountability right out of the gate so I'm happy to see players that didn't show up to camp ready to leave everything on the ice, take a fkn seat.

That brings me to the system.

Of course there is going to be some what of a learning curve until things become second nature but if you look at the actual system, it's a billion times easier to play for all players involved.
They actually started to put it together during PS but the difference now that the competition is getting a little stiffer, the players just aren't putting in the hard work in order to compensate.

So who's really to blame here?
This is clearly on the players.

You can expect to have a poor record with this current roster but there's absolutely no excuse to not step up, play the right way and put in work..

I think you saw a few times guys kind of resorting to the AV style (chasing behind the net when they shouldn't forwards getting loosey goosey on their backchecking and looking to sprint up ice instead, some confusion over the zone switching) but that's stuff that just takes some time and practice. Other stuff like standing up in the neutral zone and defensive blueline is an area where the players have to learn to execute better (or ultimately the coach may need to change the style) as I see that's where a lot of odd man rushes are coming from. Guys try to stand up but they're not doing it quite at the right time or forwards aren't ready to back them up if it doesn't work and it creates some 2 on 1's etc.

All stuff that takes awhile to work out

Reactions: egelband

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
Yeah I see no problem with Hajek playing in the AHL. He's got a few things to learn at the pro level that he can work on in the AHL. If he was clearly ready with nothing to learn in the A then I'd be more annoyed at Staal playing over him

I think you saw a few times guys kind of resorting to the AV style (chasing behind the net when they shouldn't forwards getting loosey goosey on their backchecking and looking to sprint up ice instead, some confusion over the zone switching) but that's stuff that just takes some time and practice. Other stuff like standing up in the neutral zone and defensive blueline is an area where the players have to learn to execute better (or ultimately the coach may need to change the style) as I see that's where a lot of odd man rushes are coming from. Guys try to stand up but they're not doing it quite at the right time or forwards aren't ready to back them up if it doesn't work and it creates some 2 on 1's etc.

All stuff that takes awhile to work out

Yeah it's definitely going to take some time.
It's totally expected but this new system also simplifies things quite a bit.

Still no excuse for fwds to stop back checking or the D to let your man go to the net untouched.

Players need to step it up or take a seat.

I don't mind that what so ever..

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Hajek just needs to polish. That’s easy. He’ll be fine. It’s not like he’s got any glaring question marks he needs to work on. Kid is going to be a stud.

Reactions: Mac n Gs

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
You don't bench your best and most experienced playmaker for one bad game, give me a break.

And that game was even more on Quinn, and his failed 7D project. It was chaos out there with zero structure...

So it's the coaches fault when Zucc plays like shit, but everyone else is accountable for their own play.

Okay.

TRADE ZUCC NOW

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
I said that thinking they were going to pick the worst possible C available lol.

You know... GortonThings

Don't worry, Gorton has obviously stepped in the salad with Shattenkirk. Our GM also got carried away when he awarded Smith a huge contract just because he had a good stint in the playoffs. If Smith starts laying eggs again we'll have two useless D stealing a combined $11M per :facepalm:

E-Train

Feb 27, 2002
New Jersey
Everyone's gotta wildly overreact at all times, everyone's gotta be 100% correct at all times. If someone doesn't see things the same way as you, then you have to angrily argue with them instead of having a discussion
I like the use of "everyone" here. Lol

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
Don't worry, Gorton has obviously stepped in the salad with Shattenkirk. Our GM also got carried away when he awarded Smith a huge contract just because he had a good stint in the playoffs. If Smith starts laying eggs again we'll have two useless D stealing a combined $11M per :facepalm:

I don't worry anymore.
Now I just expect it lol

Last edited:

Paulie Walnutz

Make HF Great Again
Oct 1, 2008
Perhaps Quinn should take the team out for milk and cookies after an ugly loss. They can all play acoustic guitar and sing Kumbaya. I heard there’s a killer dessert stand operated by a former reformed Guantanamo Bay inmate right outside of MSG:sarcasm:

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
If they play like they did in the first 2 games, they will get wins. The game against the Hurricanes was gross. The Hurricanes might be one of the better teams in the league this year.

Anyway, I am ok with Quinn benching players. We were all clamoring for accountability with the gum chewer and now that we are getting some semblance of it, it's a whine fest.

I am not sure how I feel about Shatty getting singled out. Like I said earlier, I don't think either Staal or Pionk have been very good. Hayes, Names deserved to be benched although, Names had a very good game when he was back in the lineup.

I don't know, I really didn't expect the team to be all that good this season. I just want to see the young players get better and the team to compete and play the modern version of the NHL game. They largely did that it the first 2 games and the first period Saturday. I don't blame the coach for singling out players, then benching and/or scratching them.

God I hope the Hurricanes quote doesn't come back to bite me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad