Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part XI

Status
Not open for further replies.

trench23

Aug 2, 2005
Nylander has an incredibly higher ceiling than Skjei. If that is what it took to get Nylander than you do it. This year is likely a wash. Skjei has not really progressed in his development over the past year plus. We have a lot of D in the pipeline. And you can stock up on more picks/prospects at the deadline by dealing guys like Spooner, Nams, etc to replace Skjei eventually in the order of others being bumped up...someone like Hajek or Lindgren this year. Nylander has a lot of talent. Replace Skjei and Nams/Spooner with Nylander and Panarin for next year and you have talent.

Skjei, along with everyone and their mothers, regressed in AV's last year. Let's give him a year or two under Quinn in a defensive structure that is REAL before we say he maxed out. Let's trust the process. a few weeks of training camp and 6 games is not enough to learn a new system and unlearn a system they spent the last few years in. Its a growing process. There will be ups and downs. let's give it time to set in.

Reactions: nyr2k2

MetalJaws

Mar 12, 2014
Anyone know what the time table is on Boo?

Lettieri needs to go. He cripples the 4th line. Literally brings nothing to the club or that line.

Spooner-Boo-Fast

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
The Rangers have $8M combined invested in Spooner and Namestnikov. They are non-factors on this team.
Maybe the level of their play deserves the ice time that they got.
Quinn reminds me too much of Tortorella. Play harder. Play harder. Play harder.
Those types of teams tend to have success.
Everything is straight ahead.

Quinn wants the Rangers to play like the LA Kings. A big and heavy game. It's not 2014 anymore in the NHL. Quinn last coached in the NHL in the 2013 lockout season.
East and West did not really work out for them. And the Kings and other big and heavy teams have done just fine.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
The lack of patience displayed in this thread continues to confound me.

We haven't even scratched the surface yet.

Even if everything goes great, I'm not sure there's a broader understanding of the time table or the ebb and flow that will accompany this endeavor.

effen

Feb 3, 2018
a coach who actually plays his best players significantly more than his worst players?
AND will scratch everyone from the #1D to a a presumptive top-line winger to the goon to recent trade acquisitions?

horrible. awful. a blight on the profession. we'd be better off with *checks notes* a 3x5 notecard saying trade Staal.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
Much like Torts, I feel like Quinn is playing the hand that he's been dealt. You said it above, its kind of hard to be creative when your defense couldn't break out of a paper bag. This team stinks on paper, so might as full focus on a culture of accountability and hard work for the players who will remain after this deadline.

wait

wasnt torts involved in the structure of his roster ? weren't we back then trying to create a team that fit the torts mold and the torts system. if memory serves, he wanted a certain type player on his team.

basically a team full of ryan callahans and dan girardis ?

Reactions: Off Sides

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I don't see any similarities between Torts and Quinn. Either in their temperament or system.

The FO is still putting a pretty large emphasis on skill and speed (Look at our first pick last year.) You can still be a fast and skilled team that is heavy - One of those won the cup last year and there are a pair of others out west that are serious contenders.

Reactions: Bozle

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
quinn seems to be trying to change the entire dynamic of the team. drain the swamp if you will.

setting an early example that he demands effort, execution and accountability. sign me up.

thats good

but for his usage of one marc staal and perhaps the lack of usage of ADA, im almost entirely ok with him so far.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
quinn seems to be trying to change the entire dynamic of the team. drain the swamp if you will.

setting an early example that he demands effort, execution and accountability. sign me up.

thats good

but for his usage of one marc staal and perhaps the lack of usage of ADA, im almost entirely ok with him so far.
Agreed. There's the Staal thing, which I am not entirely sold is truly up to Quinn, and not playing ADA every/most nights (I was on board with a McQuaid/Pionk/ADA rotation). Other than that I like the style and system he seems to be implementing, I like his demeanor and his candor, and I like that he's actually attempting--as a college coach taking over an NHL club with some big names--some real accountability (again, notwithstanding Staal). I don't have much to complain about. I may be complaining in another month that the team is more competitive than it should be, but that's about it.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Agreed. There's the Staal thing, which I am not entirely sold is truly up to Quinn, and not playing ADA every/most nights (I was on board with a McQuaid/Pionk/ADA rotation). Other than that I like the style and system he seems to be implementing, I like his demeanor and his candor, and I like that he's actually attempting--as a college coach taking over an NHL club with some big names--some real accountability (again, notwithstanding Staal). I don't have much to complain about. I may be complaining in another month that the team is more competitive than it should be, but that's about it.

Yeah, so, regarding Staal, Im not convinced he isn't one of the 6 best defensemen on this roster. That says a lot more about the roster than what Staal has become.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
wait

wasnt torts involved in the structure of his roster ? weren't we back then trying to create a team that fit the torts mold and the torts system. if memory serves, he wanted a certain type player on his team.

basically a team full of ryan callahans and dan girardis ?
Torts inherited a certain type of team. His Tampa approach did not work with what he had. So he had to do with what he had.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
It's not so much that the Staal thing is not up to him, I feel like it's more the rookie head coach and the elder statesman of the team who has been a central cog in the locker room. Can't just bench him immediately. Which is why Staal will get a very long leash.

CaptBagel

May 2, 2018
I feel Quinn is Torts doppelganger
U can't force skilled east west players to play a hard nose north south hockey
U have to coach the players u have to their skill set. This is what the best coaches in all sports do.
If this is the hockey Quinn wants to play then Kravtsov should not have been our first pick and there should be no reason to go after panarin and we should trade chytil and bushnevich now....
So far not a fan of Quinn...

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Pretty depressing that we are tied 7th overall in the NHL and have 3 teams below us that look to be in worse shape...

We aren’t getting top 3 percentage shot at a top pick if Hank is OK for us. We should be better than we are now when Quinn gets more time.

It will also be interesting to see what happens to STL and LAK. They have aimed high during the off season and but I already during the summer noticed that their approach is a bit risky. If they don’t put it together, these teams tends to try to just push harder and be more discipline and cut down on mistakes and what not — but today maybe you need to go in the other direction. Who knows, but I think we will see a collapse or two from some team like that.

Gorton will sell again at the deadline. We should loose a good majority of the 15-20 games at the end. Top 5? 6? 7? 3-4?

We should get a quality player there.

Reactions: TheDirtyH

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
Pretty depressing that we are tied 7th overall in the NHL and have 3 teams below us that look to be in worse shape...

We aren’t getting top 3 percentage shot at a top pick if Hank is OK for us. We should be better than we are now when Quinn gets more time.

It will also be interesting to see what happens to STL and LAK. They have aimed high during the off season and but I already during the summer noticed that their approach is a bit risky. If they don’t put it together, these teams tends to try to just push harder and be more discipline and cut down on mistakes and what not — but today maybe you need to go in the other direction. Who knows, but I think we will see a collapse or two from some team like that.

Gorton will sell again at the deadline. We should loose a good majority of the 15-20 games at the end. Top 5? 6? 7? 3-4?

We should get a quality player there.
Game 6... no injuries yet (there will be some, there always are)... lots of hockey to be played.

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York
Game 6... no injuries yet (there will be some, there always are)... lots of hockey to be played.
This place is in ducking DEFCON 1 and there’s still 76 games left to play.

I shouldn’t be shocked but I am for some reason.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
This place is in ducking DEFCON 1 and there’s still 76 games left to play.

I shouldn’t be shocked but I am for some reason.

I'm actually pleasantly surprised how well folks here are taking the rebuild in stride. GDTs are actually more enjoyable than they were when the team was competitive.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Quinn needs to find a way to have a system in the NHL that will give you a high shooting % but not have you surrender too much possession.

That is what concerns me the most. We get up ice and get shots on goal, a certain crew must be happy, but we are always facing a collected D. We are getting very few of those chances when we are facing a scrambling D. We were constantly top 5 in s% under AV and that was one thing we did well. If you listen to Quenville and Babcock and those coaches the big transformation they have been working on with their teams is taking the puck to the net, creating havoc.

Quinn talks about taking the puck to the net, but does he understand it? Taking the puck to the net and putting the puck on the net is two completely different things. NHL Ds can handle pucks put on the net and rebounds. What nobody can handle well is a talented kid skating right into you trying to make a play, getting support from 3 other guys that pucks are passed to/that can pick up the lose puck if the first guy is taken down by a D, and then put this on repeat for 2-3 waves. That is what taking the puck to the net is about.

Saying “good things happen when you put the puck on the net” in 2018 isn’t really something that give me much confidence.

Some might think that a low shooting percentage is compensated by more shots. In theory that should be the case. But it isn’t really. A successful team needs to be able to break the back of the opponent. You lose games that get out of hand for you. A low intensity offensive game will surely and always run into a wall later during the season and especially in the POs. A team like Minnesota is a perfect example of this. Bruce B coached, old fashioned (in what worked 10 years ago). Good regular season. Guys like E Staal thrives on it. Then always the worst team in the POs. It feels like they could have played a 100 game series against a good team and not win 5..

TheDirtyH

Jul 5, 2013
Chicago
Quinn needs to find a way to have a system in the NHL that will give you a high shooting % but not have you surrender too much possession.

That is what concerns me the most. We get up ice and get shots on goal, a certain crew must be happy, but we are always facing a collected D. We are getting very few of those chances when we are facing a scrambling D. We were constantly top 5 in s% under AV and that was one thing we did well. If you listen to Quenville and Babcock and those coaches the big transformation they have been working on with their teams is taking the puck to the net, creating havoc.

Quinn talks about taking the puck to the net, but does he understand it? Taking the puck to the net and putting the puck on the net is two completely different things. NHL Ds can handle pucks put on the net and rebounds. What nobody can handle well is a talented kid skating right into you trying to make a play, getting support from 3 other guys that pucks are passed to/that can pick up the lose puck if the first guy is taken down by a D, and then put this on repeat for 2-3 waves. That is what taking the puck to the net is about.

Saying “good things happen when you put the puck on the net” in 2018 isn’t really something that give me much confidence.

Some might think that a low shooting percentage is compensated by more shots. In theory that should be the case. But it isn’t really. A successful team needs to be able to break the back of the opponent. You lose games that get out of hand for you. A low intensity offensive game will surely and always run into a wall later during the season and especially in the POs. A team like Minnesota is a perfect example of this. Bruce B coached, old fashioned (in what worked 10 years ago). Good regular season. Guys like E Staal thrives on it. Then always the worst team in the POs. It feels like they could have played a 100 game series against a good team and not win 5..

You picked a bad example in Minnesota. They live and die by high percentage chances — suppressing them better than any team and going for them exclusively at the other end.

That said, you're right that in 2018 it hardly matters if you accumulate shots from way out. I've also always been skeptical of 'traffic' as something that does much of anything except occasionally gets a low-chance shot to go in.

Quinn to his credit has talked the language you're preaching for. 'Going through players' etc. Watching, it's hard to tell whether we don't have the right personnel for the attack you describe. Look around the league and it's exactly that that brings success. Drives to the middle with layers of support. Same with pinches at the blueline. Support not being (exclusively) a player that swings high to cover up ice like a secondary in football, support being players who follow the play closely to keep possession. People focus on this with net-front battles or on the boards, but those small ice battles are happening more and more regularly in open-ice.

Kreider is a great example of a player with the right tools to attack the way you describe. Same with Buchnevich and Zibanejad. As a line, they're hardly scary when they're skating laps around the offensive zone, which they do much more frequently. Circle the zone, feed the point, crash the net, leave the zone, change. If they were stopping on pucks, driving the center of the ice, and supporting one another closely, they'd be a very capable first line.

It's frustrating that we don't do this. San Jose has been sharing this problem, and they're off to a terrible start for it. They have the excuse of wanting to defer to their talent at the blueline, but it's not working that way. Montreal is a good example of doing it well without the talent of better teams.

Reactions: Blurt Vision
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad