Speculation: Roster Building Thread Part VII: Now with less frenzy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I really do not know what to expect from Beleskey

The general idea seems to be he was bad, demoted and is still bad, but there seems to be more to it than that and partially injury related.

I guess I think if he is over his injury, has trained all summer, he may make somewhat of a limited comeback. Not trying to say I think he is going to be great or anything yet I think the Rangers giving him a shot in camp is warranted.

When it comes to Matt Beleskey, is it time to cash in the chips?

https://thehockeywriters.com/bruins-matt-beleskey-history/

Belesky can be a deadline pickup for some teams — if — he regains any kind of form. We are on the books of 1.9m of his Cap hit. We can retain 50% of that meaning that whoever traded for him would take zero cap exposure since it’s a buriable contract. It would also only be 750k in real money next year.

Belesky wasn’t a NHLer last season. The skating just wasn’t there. Bad skater to start with and a bum knee results in that in the NHL right now. But if he can get back to top shape and skate better, who knows. I wouldn’t bet on it, but I wouldn’t rule it out. Julien likes him, maybe MTL is an option.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Ottawa is going to mess up the rental market for Hayes and Zucc at the deadline

Just like they interfered with D market last deadline with McDonagh

If Duchene wasn't going to be moved, I'd wager Hayes is probably the top center on the rental market. Zucc isn't the best winger, but if Stone is available, they'll be calling about him before they call for Zucc

31 teams in the league and only 16 makes the POs. Look at us last year. Many teams will opt to sell off mid-season. It won’t be only us and Ottawa.

Look at the top 10-15 teams right now, one of them will be out of the POs come December-January. It always happen. People had us and Chi as P.O. teams last season. Bottom 10 teams. Washington, Pittsburgh, Nashville, Vegas, Winnipeg, Boston, STL, Colorado, Toronto — I don’t know, but it just seem like it’s very common that some team bombs every NHL season.

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
I really do not know what to expect from Beleskey

The general idea seems to be he was bad, demoted and is still bad, but there seems to be more to it than that and partially injury related.

I guess I think if he is over his injury, has trained all summer, he may make somewhat of a limited comeback. Not trying to say I think he is going to be great or anything yet I think the Rangers giving him a shot in camp is warranted.

When it comes to Matt Beleskey, is it time to cash in the chips?

https://thehockeywriters.com/bruins-matt-beleskey-history/
With the Bruins, sure. But he was good in Hartford and I liked what he brought in his one game with the big club.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
With the Bruins, sure. But he was good in Hartford and I liked what he brought in his one game with the big club.

I may have worded that poorly, I too think it's possible he could be a NHLer for the Rangers.

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens

If Duchene wasn't going to be moved, I'd wager Hayes is probably the top center on the rental market. Zucc isn't the best winger, but if Stone is available, they'll be calling about him before they call for Zucc

And there will be teams that miss out on both Stone and Duchene. Other teams don't stop trading for players.

Reactions: Mikos87

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site

Not sure if thats a bad thing. The contenders that miss out on the OTT guys will have to find an option... Also you'll have teams that won't pay that premium price and will settle for cheaper options.

If Hayes nets a 1st and a prospect, you did great. If Zucc gets a better return than Grabner, then that's awesome.

You backfilled the farm in two trade deadlines and have a ton of cap space to work with.

Reactions: Bozle

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
How would it be a distraction?

I would rather he not come back either, but if he brings back a piece with him that you feel like could be a key contributor for this team for a half decade or more, you have to do it.

I won’t be the least bit broken up if he doesn’t come here though.

Former captain who was traded because he wanted a ridiculous deal comes back on the ridiculous deal we didn't want to give him. I guarantee people would be calling for him to be captain, questioning if he wants to be here, etc. It's possible the team wouldn't be effected by it, but it's also possible they would. We're trying to build a culture of accountability and character, I'm not sure bringing Cally back to pay for his retirement and likely play him some amount whether he deserves it or not is in line with that.

I'd be fine with him back. I'd hope TB could retain $800k and get him for $5m even. Let him play out the year and see if there is a team next off-season or next TDL who wants him for their playoff run @ 1/2 cap hit

Could just be me but I don't really see him being an NHL player much longer, let alone a player who will return much of anything of value even with salary retained.

Reactions: Avery16

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Former captain who was traded because he wanted a ridiculous deal comes back on the ridiculous deal we didn't want to give him. I guarantee people would be calling for him to be captain, questioning if he wants to be here, etc. It's possible the team wouldn't be effected by it, but it's also possible they would. We're trying to build a culture of accountability and character, I'm not sure bringing Cally back to pay for his retirement and likely play him some amount whether he deserves it or not is in line with that.

Could just be me but I don't really see him being an NHL player much longer, let alone a player who will return much of anything of value even with salary retained.

I thought he was very effective in last years playoffs as a depth player and PKer.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad

There will be more than 1 team buying.

Rangers f***ed up the return for Zucc by not moving him the same summer as Stepan.

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
Last season was an arms race in the east. Boston & Tampa. Toronto is going to be right there with them this year. When one team misses out on a player they don’t say “Aww schucks ok then”, they still keep looking.

Reactions: Irishguy42

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
He's saying Staal == the bucket.

Come on you guys. Keep up.
giphy.gif

Good Intentions

Mar 30, 2018
Bumped into Zibanejad on Sunday afternoon near MSG, carrying groceries back to his apartment. Got a good vibe from him - shy, not apathetic. We exchanged a few words and wished him good health.

I wouldn't take the time to say it unless it was noticeable - He looks a legit 240 lbs. Neck/shoulders are sculpted - I can't compare to last year, but on the street, looks more like an MMA guy - and that bodes really well for us. (The yellow frosted tips are also gone, for those who obsess on it).

If he can stay healthy, he may make the Brassard deal look McD-level stupid for Ottawa.

LaffyTaffy

Brooklyn-Belarussian
Feb 1, 2016
Brooklyn, NY
Bumped into Zibanejad on Sunday afternoon near MSG, carrying groceries back to his apartment. Got a good vibe from him - shy, not apathetic. We exchanged a few words and wished him good health.

I wouldn't take the time to say it unless it was noticeable - He looks a legit 240 lbs. Neck/shoulders are sculpted - I can't compare to last year, but on the street, looks more like an MMA guy - and that bodes really well for us. (The yellow frosted tips are also gone, for those who obsess on it).

If he can stay healthy, he may make the Brassard deal look McD-level stupid for Ottawa.
Thanks for sharing! Go to know he's looking brolic, I know Kreids is also a freak of nature, if Buch put on more muscle this offseason thats going to be one sick line!

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
The only meaningful savings we would get on the cap is if we waive either Beleskey or Smith, and I think Smith will be given every chance to regain his NHL form.

Waiving Holland/Kampfer/O'Gara/McCleod saves us nothing as their replacements will will be making about the same amount or more.

as stated above, they will probably move out other salary, but waiving (close-to) league minimum players does nothing for us

huh? why do we need to make cap space this season?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad