Speculation: Roster Building Thread Part VII: Now with less frenzy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
This topic is interesting, how good can the average NHL draft be??

The average age is supposedly going down in the NHL. And it is, saw this graph (curtesy of the grinder):
upload_2018-8-13_9-23-15.png

Shorter careers means bigger influx of new players (they are also worth less since their careers are shorter, but...).

I used to count on 10 years when estimating the average NHL career of a good player. Maybe it’s more correct to look at 8 years now? 6 years? A little short if you look at say a guy like JT Miller or Kreider. But Cally is a good example that you don’t peak for 10 years as as a top 9/4. No matter what I am just guessing here. Any input would be appreciated.

31 teams in this league gives 403 top 9/4 players. If their average shelf life in that capacity is 8 years it gives you 50 new top9/4 players per years.

How many of those players goes in the first round? About 20 maybe. Can creep up a little if kids start to pay off more.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
I don't know why the Rangers would be interested in taking on Callahan's contract when there could be several top level FA available next offseason.

Tampa wants to add. If they are going to make any significant additions, they will eventually need to move salary.

If something does happen it wouldn’t be the only piece coming.

Stay tuned.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
The team doesn't even have the cap space to make a Callahan trade now

A couple weeks ago when they were sitting on almost 20 million in space and we thought one of Hayes/Spooner/Namestnikov were gonna be gone, yeah they could swing it

They'd have to send something back to Tampa which defeats the purpose

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
The team doesn't even have the cap space to make a Callahan trade now

A couple weeks ago when they were sitting on almost 20 million in space and we thought one of Hayes/Spooner/Namestnikov were gonna be gone, yeah they could swing it

They'd have to send something back to Tampa which defeats the purpose

The second they waive one (or more) of the Belesky/Holland/Smith/Kampfer group they'll have enough space.

mrmovies779

The Greatest Teacher,Failure is.
Feb 5, 2013
If they want to be right up on the cap, yeah

Which I doubt they do
They will be clearing out space during the season-Zuc,Hayes,possibly Staal and Smith if they can.Cap space shouldnt be a problem.They could trade for Callahan now if they wanted.

Kaapo Cabana

Next name: Admiral Kakkbar
Sep 5, 2014
Philadelphia
The only meaningful savings we would get on the cap is if we waive either Beleskey or Smith, and I think Smith will be given every chance to regain his NHL form.

Waiving Holland/Kampfer/O'Gara/McCleod saves us nothing as their replacements will will be making about the same amount or more.

as stated above, they will probably move out other salary, but waiving (close-to) league minimum players does nothing for us

Last edited:

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
I don't see Tampa adding enough stuff the Rangers would desire to Callahan.

If they were willing I think that trade would have already taken place back before UFA period opened.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
This team will die if they extend you.

If they want to be right up on the cap, yeah

Which I doubt they do

I don’t think they care.

That space isn’t going to be needed this year. They have 9.675 coming off the cap next summer between Hayes and Zucc, not to mention any other players they’re going to move out:

Not saying that they’re sill in on this, just saying that it’s totally possible.

Reactions: NewYorkNick

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Here’s a crazy idea- Beleskey, whom we already own at a good dollar amount, who is younger, not broken, not retiring, and has already gotten to know our kids. How many people do you need for that role? We already have two under contract.

I really do not know what to expect from Beleskey

The general idea seems to be he was bad, demoted and is still bad, but there seems to be more to it than that and partially injury related.

I guess I think if he is over his injury, has trained all summer, he may make somewhat of a limited comeback. Not trying to say I think he is going to be great or anything yet I think the Rangers giving him a shot in camp is warranted.

When it comes to Matt Beleskey, is it time to cash in the chips?

https://thehockeywriters.com/bruins-matt-beleskey-history/

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Ugh, I get the logic of taking Callahan and it kind of checks out depending on the plus. But, man, I really don't want that guy back here at all. Talk about an unnecessary distraction.

Reactions: NewYorkNick

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Ugh, I get the logic of taking Callahan and it kind of checks out depending on the plus. But, man, I really don't want that guy back here at all. Talk about an unnecessary distraction.

How would it be a distraction?

I would rather he not come back either, but if he brings back a piece with him that you feel like could be a key contributor for this team for a half decade or more, you have to do it.

I won’t be the least bit broken up if he doesn’t come here though.

Reactions: Berserk

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL

I'd be fine with him back. I'd hope TB could retain $800k and get him for $5m even. Let him play out the year and see if there is a team next off-season or next TDL who wants him for their playoff run @ 1/2 cap hit

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
If the price was right it would have been done already

Brooks reported Gorton had interest, Yzerman is cheap
Yes and when the clouds are gone you can see a blue sky. What is your point?

You said you doubt they would entertain being up against the cap. I am saying they would for the right price. I'm not sure where you are going here.

LaffyTaffy

Brooklyn-Belarussian
Feb 1, 2016
Brooklyn, NY
I think if Rangers were helping Tampa in a three way trade by taking Callahan, Yzerman would add a piece and then have the other GM send us something of value too. We would get assets from both sides for being the middleman.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Yes and when the clouds are gone you can see a blue sky. What is your point?

You said you doubt they would entertain being up against the cap. I am saying they would for the right price. I'm not sure where you are going here.
They had interest when they had cap space. Now they're closer to the cap, and taking on Callahan's full hit doesn't even work out cap wise if the team breaks from camp with 22 guys on the roster

Assuming Lias and Chytil make the team, and Beleskey is buried, with 7 D they have 5.5 million in space. Callahan's cap hit is 5.8 million

Also there were reports the hold up on the Karlsson trade was Yzerman finding a third party to make the cap work. And the Rangers were one of teams interested in being the third party

AKA Yzerman isn't making it worth the third parties while to take money back (Callahan in this situation), AKA the price isn't right, and if it was, the trade would have been done

Not sure what you aren't understanding

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
They had interest when they had cap space. Now they're closer to the cap, and taking on Callahan's full hit doesn't even work out cap wise if the team breaks from camp with 22 guys on the roster

Assuming Lias and Chytil make the team, and Beleskey is buried, with 7 D they have 5.5 million in space. Callahan's cap hit is 5.8 million

Also there were reports the hold up on the Karlsson trade was Yzerman finding a third party to make the cap work. And the Rangers were one of teams interested in being the third party

AKA Yzerman isn't making it worth the third parties while to take money back (Callahan in this situation), AKA the price isn't right, and if it was, the trade would have been done

You may be correct, but it is such a fluid situation that we don't see the entire picture clearly. What if TB is sending a piece but the Rangers also want a piece from OTT for taking on the cap dump and OTT is holding back the player the Rangers want? What if the Rangers are waiting to see the outcome of a medical appointment or procedure Callahan is having in the near future to help paint a more clear picture?

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder

Your original post (and the one I responded to) said you doubted that they wanted to be up against the cap. If the Rangers don't want to be up against the cap, a deal for Callahan is a non starter, regardless of the offer.

I was simply saying I disagree - that I don't think they care if they are up against the cap and happily will be for the right price.

:dunno:

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Ottawa is going to mess up the rental market for Hayes and Zucc at the deadline

Just like they interfered with D market last deadline with McDonagh

If Duchene wasn't going to be moved, I'd wager Hayes is probably the top center on the rental market. Zucc isn't the best winger, but if Stone is available, they'll be calling about him before they call for Zucc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad