Speculation: Roster Building Thread Part VII: Now with less frenzy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Continue.
Challenge accepted.

tenor.gif

Kaapo Cabana

Next name: Admiral Kakkbar
Sep 5, 2014
Philadelphia
I think having all this cap space is a great idea this season.

Opens us up for cap dump deals where we can just hoard picks

Callahan/Spezza/Hainsey if TML wants to make a run at Trouba. All with 1 year remaining

Would consider cap dumps with 2 years left, but would probably want some retention or a better return.

The best part of all this is that it does not depend at all on the results this season. This plan can be enacted whether we over achieve and are a bubble team, or are basement dwellers.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Jeff Gorton continue to say rebuild and a little on both with retool in his latest interview with NHL Network 24th of July. A bit old news, but this rebuild is certainly an on going process and it just started.

Ori

Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Brower bought out.

Cheap option for us?

Troy Brouwer is from Vancouver, a RW, but I`m a bit sceptical about to sign him since he is a 4th line player, and he will take a spot away from a kid who might need it while developing NHL experience like Jimmy Vesey for instant who I would rather use instead. But if we can afford him and he is certainly a good depth player. Anyway if they have plans to compete for playoffs in this new season which is what Henrik L. still believe, and he might think the team is better than it really is at the moment, especially about our current defense.

*A brief history NHL stats about him: Troy Brouwer Stats and News

On a positive note; he has grit and size indeed and maybe what this new coach need with this team on that 4th line: Ht / Wt: 6`3 / 215 lb

Last edited:
Reactions: wafflepadsave

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I remember Gorton saying he wanted to acquire some older prospects to have different age-groups represented. Looking at the current prospects:

2018: Kravtsov, Miller, Lundkvist
2017: Andersson, Chytil
2016: Ronning, Hajek, Howden, Rykov, Lindgren
2015: Gropp
2014: Meskanen*, Leedahl*, Shestyorkin, Georgiev*
2013: Pionk*, Lettieri*
2012: Lindqvist*

Gorton has put together a group that covers a wide range of age-groups with our own draft picks, prospects acquired in trades and signing UDFAs

* For undrafted players I used the year they were first draft eligible

Reactions: Irishguy42 and Ori

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
I remember Gorton saying he wanted to acquire some older prospects to have different age-groups represented. Looking at the current prospects:

2018: Kravtsov, Miller, Lundkvist
2017: Andersson, Chytil
2016: Ronning, Hajek, Howden, Rykov, Lindgren
2015: Gropp
2014: Meskanen*, Leedahl*, Shestyorkin, Georgiev*
2013: Pionk*, Lettieri*
2012: Lindqvist*

Gorton has put together a group that covers a wide range of age-groups with our own draft picks, prospects acquired in trades and signing UDFAs

* For undrafted players I used the year they were first draft eligible

2004: McLeod

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Gorton interview

"Rebuilding the team".

This is the interview with Dave Maloney from last week. He said it'a rebuild. It's going to take some time. Patience. The Rangers are building from within and then you add pieces when the the young players have matured to get you closer. His comments about Lundqvist, Shattenkirk, Zibanejad and Smith

Gorton is still building the wooden frame of the house and Larry Brooks wants him to accelerate the rebuild. The media says the NY fans are impatient and they don't want to rebuild. It's the media which doesn't want to rebuild. They don't want to follow a bad team. We haven't even gone through the first year of the rebuild and it's already time to accelerate the rebuild. :help:

Brooks said the Rangers better be right about Andersson because they took him 7th overall when Andersson wasn't expected to go that high. Too bad Custance didn't open his mouth and say the Red Wings at #9 were also very interested in Andersson and they would taken him at #9.

Brooks mentioned Kravstov and the Rangers better be right because they took him at #9 which was higher than he was expected to go. McKenzie said in his podcast one scout he consulted for his draft preview had Kravstov in his top 5. Jeff Marek said in the last 31 Thoughts podcast that an executive told him their team had Kravstov in their top 10.

It's going to be a very long season.

Reactions: pld459666 and Ori

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Brooks mentioned Kravstov and the Rangers better be right because they took him at #9 which was higher than he was expected to go. McKenzie said in his podcast one scout he consulted for his draft preview had Kravstov in his top 5. Jeff Marek said in the last 31 Thoughts podcast that an executive told him their team had Kravstov in their top 10.

It's going to be a very long season.

To be fair that scout was probably Gordie Clarke

Ori

Nov 7, 2014
Norway
I believe Dave Maloney is on point @RangerBoy , and I agree with most of his evaluation and reasoning in that interview, and patience is really important at this stage also for us as fans.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
He was 12 on McKenzie's consensus list. I'm sure it wasn't rare for scouts to have him top 10.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
Gorton and Clark will have plenty to answer for if Andersson, Kravtsov and Lindbom are disasters.

I'm not saying they will bust (damn I hope not) but heads will roll if they do.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
I’d argue that this rebuild process started with the Brassard trade when Gorton showed he was trying to turn current prime assets into younger talent that has higher upside. That allowed Gorton to acquire NHL talent that would progress over the next five or six years, while the Stepan and deadline trades provided the additional picks and prospects to eventually be added to our team down the line.

It’s establishing a feeder system that Sather wasn’t able to do after swinging big trades for Nash, Yandle, and MSL - which is fine because we were shooting our shot at the Cup. Gorton is attempting to re-establish that flow of prospects that successful teams (Boston, Chicago, Pitt) have. He’s added some very talented prospects, took a huge gamble on skilled kids like Chytil and Kravtsov, but I still don’t see an elite forward or defensemen in our system. We have some kids that can hit those levels, which is why we’ve seen such an emphasis on coaching and development.

Overall, I’ve liked what Gorton has done, even though I would’ve made different decisions. The good thing is that he’s set himself up further to move some players and add assets down the line and we have a lot of future cap flexibility.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Gorton and Clark will have plenty to answer for if Andersson, Kravtsov and Lindbom are disasters.

Assuming every player makes it is not a good barometer. Every team misses. So far Andersson looks very solid. Let's give the other guys some time

Reactions: Ori

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004

Yeah for sure, you ultimately can't blow that many picks in a row.

Though I notice you don't mention Chytil, Miller, or Lindkvist

e: in regards to the Rangers not having an elite player in their prospect pool, it's pretty tough to have one of those without drafting top 5. You usually don't know if a player is an elite level prospect until they've proven it in the NHL.

Chytil could be that guy. He's got so many tools and so many good ways to use them, but I think we'll have to see how he manages to convert that skill into points and production.

Kravtsov is another, maybe the highest upside. BUt we'll ultimately hve to wait and see how he pans out as well. Does he reach his potential as an elite puck possesion winger? Or is he just a "good" top six player.

The scouting staffs rep may rest on that

Last edited:

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
Yeah for sure, you ultimately can't blow that many picks in a row.

Though I notice you don't mention Chytil, Miller, or Lindkvist

e: in regards to the Rangers not having an elite player in their prospect pool, it's pretty tough to have one of those without drafting top 5. You usually don't know if a player is an elite level prospect until they've proven it in the NHL.

Chytil could be that guy. He's got so many tools and so many good ways to use them, but I think we'll have to see how he manages to convert that skill into points and production.

Kravtsov is another, maybe the highest upside. BUt we'll ultimately hve to wait and see how he pans out as well. Does he reach his potential as an elite puck possesion winger? Or is he just a "good" top six player.

The scouting staffs rep may rest on that
Didn't mention Chytil as he wasn't a "reach" pick... the rest could be argued were. Miller sort of is I suppose but only in that they traded up for him and Linqvist is neither here nor there (yet anyway). But I am no draft analyst.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
He seems to slot into that "we think he's really talented but we're unsure if his results are a predictor of his ability to apply that going forward of a small sample size fluke"

And maybe some russian bias

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad