Speculation: Roster Building Thread Part VII: Now with less frenzy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
As a "role," zero.

Whether or not it's something a team should have is not a hill I'm going to die on, but the designated position of "gritty guy" who is otherwise a bad hockey player belongs in 1986.
I’m not talking about the team I would ice, but for what other imaginable reason would we have signed McLeod, or would anyone even mention Scott Hartnell or Chris Stewart anymore?

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I’m not talking about the team I would ice, but for what other imaginable reason would we have signed McLeod, or would anyone even mention Scott Hartnell or Chris Stewart anymore?

If I was the GM, I would sign a good to have for preseason alone. I would also definitely have a goon in HFD. JMHO.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
We need to do everything we can to make sure TB wins the Cup this season
Unfortunately, last season was when they should have won it. Amazing Buffalo has three picks as of now in the first round.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
Picks are worth the least at the deadline when Zuccarello and Hayes will be available. I'm going to root really hard for these guys to play well this year. The Rangers should get another 1st rounder in a deal with one of them.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
You're not wrong. The team obviously values the role.

Since they do, I'd much rather have Hartnell or even give Beleskey a shot over skating sewage like McLeod, Brouwer, Stewart, etc.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
People said the same last year "No GM is gonna move their first this year"

Like a third of the first rounders last year were involved in some sort of trade

There will be movement like there always is

Picks are worth the least at the deadline when Zuccarello and Hayes will be available. I'm going to root really hard for these guys to play well this year. The Rangers should get another 1st rounder in a deal with one of them.
If they both don't bring back 1st round picks, that would be an issue

Last edited:

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
I don't know why the Rangers would be interested in taking on Callahan's contract when there could be several top level FA available next offseason.

Reactions: All Might

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
Here’s a crazy idea- Beleskey, whom we already own at a good dollar amount, who is younger, not broken, not retiring, and has already gotten to know our kids. How many people do you need for that role? We already have two under contract.

I already have Beleskey penciled in. Brouwer could be a nice complement to that. Then we could have a legit physical line.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
I don't know why the Rangers would be interested in taking on Callahan's contract when there could be several top level FA available next offseason.
We will have plenty of cap left over. And if we can get a 1st or another decent prospect for him then it would be pretty silly not to. Regardless though I think all the rumors died about this once the Karlsson rumors died out.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Highly doubt they'd get a very good prospect out of it as TB is currently under the cap and has no need for more space/to move him now and getting the first is not as valuable since it's likely late and we already have a condition where we get it in the first place. They will need space next year to sign Point however Stralman/Girardi/Coburn will be 11M off the books and they can fill out their D with cheaper guys on the backend.

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
I think there is a good chance Rangers and Tampa have a 3 way trade where we get Callahan plus 1st rounder and top prospect and, Tampa gets Hayes and Vesey and some other team gets Tyler Johnson and obviously gives up a 1st rounder.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
I just can't see Belesky making the team unless he went Rocky IV training montage all summer and 20/4 intermittent fasting. Guy isn't slow in the traditional sense, but his turns, stops, and corner movement leave a lot to be desired. He also played a pretty terrible last game of the season.

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
I just can't see Belesky making the team unless he went Rocky IV training montage all summer and 20/4 intermittent fasting. Guy isn't slow in the traditional sense, but his turns, stops, and corner movement leave a lot to be desired. He also played a pretty terrible last game of the season.
He looked good in that game. Did well in Hartford before that. I’d clear him for 4th line duties.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Good teams will trade their picks still.

Be very bad in 2018-2019. Get a top 5 pick.

Yeah, and there are 31 teams in this league right now. The second round used to start with the 25th pick now it’s 32 and goes all the way up to 62...

There is a HUGE difference between picking in the 10-20 range and picking in the 28-31 range.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad