Speculation: Roster Building Thread Part VII: Now with less frenzy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Forget new metrics. Any hockey fan who clearly couldn't see that Hank was the only difference from a bottom 3 pick and finishing a middling team just outside the bubble, clearly doesn't have much hockey sense.

The silver lining of last season to me was seeing that with Hanks compete level and will to win that he more than likely can be the goalie to back this team to a Cup even in 3 or 4 years when this new core is established and can actually compete for one. Things are looking good for this franchise.

His compete level can't cover up an aging body.

I wish it could, but thats just not how nature works unfortunately.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I don't think that anyone has been particularly shocked that a strategy that relied on your goaltender bailing you out consistently suffered as the goaltender got older and his skills diminished even slightly.

Reactions: jas

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Forget new metrics. Any hockey fan who clearly couldn't see that Hank was the only difference from a bottom 3 pick and finishing a middling team just outside the bubble, clearly doesn't have much hockey sense.

The silver lining of last season to me was seeing that with Hanks compete level and will to win that he more than likely can be the goalie to back this team to a Cup even in 3 or 4 years when this new core is established and can actually compete for one. Things are looking good for this franchise.
Agreed. And with a better mindset and a hopefully-improved defense, i expect a great year from Henrik.

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
There's a reason why a lot of posters who used to post here don't post anymore. And it's because they pointed this out, backed it up with new metrics people didn't like, and essentially got chased from the boards.

So, no. It may have been obvious to you, but it was not obvious to everyone.
Yeah I remember there was this really obnoxious guy who resorted to W/L records when I argued that Moore-MDZ was a better pairing based on vastly better possession metrics than Moore-Klein. I can't recall his nick though, I think it was something like @goldbird or @bronzecat. ;)

Corsica | Pairing Stats

redwhiteandblue

Apr 1, 2013
His compete level can't cover up an aging body.

I wish it could, but thats just not how nature works unfortunately.
I guess that's your opinion. I have a fundamental disagreement and to me it's kind of obvious after last year. Hank is the kind of athlete that goes above and beyond to keep himself in shape and healthy. He's the kind of guy people preach about his compete level and how he treats himself. To me, after seeing what he did last year on a brutally lost team, it showed to me whatever he does is working. If his wheels haven't fallen off yet, especially in that worst case scenario, I don't see how you can sit around and say it's a major issue. It hasn't been yet.

Agreed. And with a better mindset and a hopefully-improved defense, i expect a great year from Henrik.
Agreed. I'm eager to see what this team can do in three years if Hanks work ethic and health stay on par. I don't see a diminished skill set by any means and I don't know who would argue that after last season he kept us from being an absolute embarrassment at 36 years old playing behind that dumpster fire.

Reactions: egelband

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I guess that's your opinion. I have a fundamental disagreement and to me it's kind of obvious after last year. Hank is the kind of athlete that goes above and beyond to keep himself in shape and healthy. He's the kind of guy people preach about his compete level and how he treats himself. To me, after seeing what he did last year on a brutally lost team, it showed to me whatever he does is working. If his wheels haven't fallen off yet, especially in that worst case scenario, I don't see how you can sit around and say it's a major issue. It hasn't been yet.

Agreed. I'm eager to see what this team can do in three years if Hanks work ethic and health stay on par. I don't see a diminished skill set by any means and I don't know who would argue that after last season he kept us from being an absolute embarrassment at 36 years old playing behind that dumpster fire.

He can do what ever he wants to keep himself healthy (which he wasn't last year btw) but no one is immune from father time+wear and tear.

You can slow the process down, but eventually it gets to everyone. His game has already slipped from where it was a few years ago, 3-4 years from now I can't imagine that it won't slip some more.

Reactions: Synergy27

redwhiteandblue

Apr 1, 2013
He can do what ever he wants to keep himself healthy (which he wasn't last year btw) but no one is immune from father time+wear and tear.

You can slow the process down, but eventually it gets to everyone. His game has already slipped from where it was a few years ago, 3-4 years from now I can't imagine that it won't slip some more.
Injuries happen. That's just life in sports. I hate injuries as an excuse. The Finals vs the Kings it was probably the one thing that held us back, but it is what it is.

He may have had some bumps and nicks but he was still pretty incredible for a guy who was 36 and was a little banged up. If injuries were that large of a concern then more people should be worried that we're resting so much in Zbads future because as much as I like him and he brings that lethal RHS on the PP, the guys an absolute bandaid.

I don't disagree on father time and his inevitable control on a body. You're talking about it almost absolute though. The kind of guys that usually hold off father time and play beyond that are generational talents like Henrik. (In terms of hockey Hasek and Broduer jump to mind and Brady does the same in football).

Of course his game has slipped a bit from 31 to 36. Did you not see a guy who went head and shoulders above what was expected and was still one of the best players at his position? Because that's exactly what happened. My point is, it's fair to make the father time point about any athlete. What's not fair is to label a guy like Henrik who puts in a mass amount of quality control into his lifestyle and preparation to stay ahead of the curve and has seemingly (proof being in last year) been effective at it as a victim of father time. The proof is just significantly in the favor of him being effective going forward rather than falling off a cliff.

I am not saying he is as effective as he used to be. That retort would essentially be a straw mans opinion. It's undeniable and not the conversation or claim being made. He most certainly is not falling off a cliff and just last year proved up against abnormally rough circumstances that he can be the goalie we need him to be going forward.

Last edited:
Reactions: GodlyRangers

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Is that old news or recent?

I seem to recall that story popping up heading into the 2017 season and the article seems to imply he hadn't yet played in the KHL.
The story last year was that he didn't sign our QO and instead went to the KHL, because he thought (like he still does) that he's an NHL-level player and that by playing well in the KHL he could get himself a guaranteed job here.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
This is weird. He'd have an awesome chance to make the team here and if he couldn't beat out guys like Lindqvist, Meskanen, Lettieri, the fourth line-types, etc., then that would probably be the best indication of where he really stood in terms of making it as an NHL player.

Does he think someone is going to promise him an NHL job after having been out of the league for 2 years and never really excelling when he was here? They're not. Does he think that can even happen while he's still on the Rangers' reserve list? It can't.

Just seems weird. He should have come over here for camp and tried to make the team. If he didn't, there'd still be KHL teams willing to sign him once their season has started, since he was pretty productive last season.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT

This is f***ed up, but I think it was Murph that the Rangers were going to give a try out to way back when they still practiced in Rye Playland and he signed a deal without giving the Rangers an opportunity to make an offer.

Somehow his skates wound up in the ocean and his sticks were sawed in half.

FoxysExpensiveNYDigs

Boo Nieves Truther
Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
I don't see how Ottawa isn't the worst team this year. Even if EK65 reports he's not going to be happy and I doubt he'll play inspired hockey until he's traded. Anderson is 37. Stone will likely be traded as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad