Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part LXXVII - Holding a Lead for Dummies (Info in OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Hartnett retweeted this, screenshotting a Carp Athletic article:

No mention of choking or who intervened.

Punching and headlock is cool if Georgiev does it
Punching and headlock is bad if ADA did it

I dont care either way, I think when teams are struggling, there will be scuffles. It's only natural. But the hypocrisy of many, no longer surprises me.

and ADA being gone hopefully brings the room together. It's ok to show emotion in a game. They look lifeless for 2/3rd of last game. Maybe emotion/passion is what they need.

Reactions: Daves a mess

rangers1314

May 9, 2007
Astoria, NY
This is a major concern that probably doesn't get nearly as much attention as it should.

The news media has its own share of problems and things it needs to work out. But social media is kind of like the wild west of information.

Thanks as always for everything @Edge.

Any idea of the teams who may be sniffing around?

Kocur Dill

picklicious
Feb 7, 2010
If DeAngelo’s agent is to be trusted (which it’s his job to say everything is great) there’s decent interest in Tony

I’m sure the Rangers want to get this done ASAP but it takes two

I've said this elsewhere but I'll mention it again. I think Bennett make sense. Both teams are selling low, but Calgary is soured on Bennetts actual play, whereas Tony is a casualty of character, his play has more definition to it.

With Bennett wanting out and Calgary having no faith or playing games with his ability in the bottom 6 and out of position. Calgary having interest in Tony over the summer iirc, with possibly Monahan involved, which, perceived value being what it is they should feel like they are getting a deal by giving up a lesser asset of theirs. And...both headaches change divisions so there is no concern of a bite-in-the-ass scenario.

Much like Laine for PLD just made too much sense. I can see Bennett for ADA as the foundation of a deal rekindled but tweeked.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
I’ll say one more thing on this

JD has a sterling reputation in this league. Jeff Gorton too but let’s stick with JD. For him to come out and say there is absolutely ZERO truth to those rumors knowing how sensitive a subject this is in these times and have that one day come out that this did actually happen and KAndre speaks out about it and the Rangers led by JD got up there and buried it would be career ending legacy ending.

JD put his career and his honor on the line when he made those statements and I have zero doubt he was telling the absolute truth. Way to dangerous not too. If there was a shred of validity to this. That conference would have gone very differently. The Rangers would have said they are investigating the matter.

Last edited:

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Let's be clear, I'm not defending anyone, but if the REAL story was that ADA was ribbing Georgiev and Georgiev threw the first punch and then headlocked ADA, it would seem to be more a case of Georgiev snapping vs ADA being some psycho attacker. As crazy as this sounds, that would actually be better for ADA in terms of a trade one would assume then what has been discussed with him saying something and then starting something with Georgiev. Am I off here?

It wouldn't hurt his cause.

But it would align with appropriateness of how one communicates with their teammates and when.

But to your broader point, there's at least part of me that has a thought of, "here we go again with a goalie who I don't see as nearly as important of a piece for the future as the organization believes."

Reactions: NYR Viper

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Truthfully georgiev should be facing some disciplinary measures from the team as well. He shouldn’t be resorting to violence there if that’s the case that he went after Tony. Although we know this may not be the case. Tony may have started it.

I think georgiev is way too emotional. It explains why he turns to absolute garbage if things aren’t going his way on the ice. He should be fed a game here and there but the amount Of trust they have in him as @Edge said makes no sense to me.

RiffyNYR61

Nov 12, 2008
PENN STATE

I dont care either way, I think when teams are struggling, there will be scuffles. It's only natural. But the hypocrisy of many, no longer surprises me.

and ADA being gone hopefully brings the room together. It's ok to show emotion in a game. They look lifeless for 2/3rd of last game. Maybe emotion/passion is what they need.
I like when scumbags get punched. I don’t like when scumbags punch someone else. Maybe that makes me a hypocrite ::shrugs::

I think it’s pretty clear this wasn’t a “heat of battle” (even in practice) kind of scuffle you see on teams sometimes. This was a notoriously hot headed person, with a history of being a bad teammate (see: juniors), apparently mocking his goalie after giving up a goal. His reactions after the other goals he was on the ice for were also childish. The team will be better off without him in the room and in the d-zone.

Reactions: Kendo

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
Let's be clear, I'm not defending anyone, but if the REAL story was that ADA was ribbing Georgiev and Georgiev threw the first punch and then headlocked ADA, it would seem to be more a case of Georgiev snapping vs ADA being some psycho attacker. As crazy as this sounds, that would actually be better for ADA in terms of a trade one would assume then what has been discussed with him saying something and then starting something with Georgiev. Am I off here?
If the incident is Georgiev punching and headlocking Deangelo and all Deangelo did is snipe at Georgiev, then the organization has done about as much as Deangelo in damaging his trade value by their mismanagement of this whole thing.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
If the incident is Georgiev punching and headlocking Deangelo and all Deangelo did is snipe at Georgiev, then the organization has done about as much as Deangelo in damaging his trade value by their mismanagement of this whole thing.

Yeah I didn't want to actually write this because obviously we are getting snippets of snippets and ADA seems to have this reputation follow him around. In saying that, it does seem to be Georgiev as the aggressor?

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Arizona may emerge as a unlikely destination for DeAngelo. Coyotes offense is non-existent, they have several expiring contracts on the back end (some of which they would be willing to move) and the management of the team has changed completely since Tony left the desert. Bill Armstrong, the new GM has picked up several players on buy low contracts. This would be a little different but in keeping with his propensity/need to buy low. Checking with sources.

And TDA did say that on Watch Your Tone podcast that he likes AZ

Reactions: Avery16

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
I like when scumbags get punched. I don’t like when scumbags punch someone else. Maybe that makes me a hypocrite ::shrugs::

I think it’s pretty clear this wasn’t a “heat of battle” (even in practice) kind of scuffle you see on teams sometimes. This was a notoriously hot headed person, with a history of being a bad teammate (see: juniors), apparently mocking his goalie after giving up a goal. His reactions after the other goals he was on the ice for were also childish. The team will be better off without him in the room and in the d-zone.
So, if I think you're a scumbag I can punch you?

shnagle

Apr 27, 2003
NYC
Visit site
But here is the thing. And this comes from someone who loves DeAngelo, the player. I'm not sure verbally "ribbing" your goalie after he gives up a goal he probably wants back in OT is the appropriate time and place. Further, when you are a -3 yourself in that same game I think you need to look yourself in the mirror and be a better teammate. But that is just me.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Georgiev should get some disciplinary action too.

That said, chirping your own goalie is a major no-no, and combined with everything else DeAngelo has brought, I'm not surprised that management pulled the plug on Tony. This was a "final straw" episode.

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
But here is the thing. And this comes from someone who loves DeAngelo, the player. I'm not sure verbally "ribbing" your goalie after he gives up a goal he probably wants back in OT is the appropriate time and place. Further, when you are a -3 yourself in that same game I think you need to look yourself in the mirror and be a better teammate. But that is just me.
Of course. But is sniping an offense that merits suspend and trade? I don't think so.

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York
And with this, I can now share what I know.

And before we get questions about me coming in "after the fact" I purposefully told a handful of people so that they could confirm when I was able to share (I do this as a safeguard for those who still think I am pulling shit out of my ass):

ADA has been increasingly vocal in the locker room about certain race and social issues and supposedly been making those comments very well known.

He has also not been quiet about some of the changes in this country over the last few months and weeks.

For the most part, there’s an understanding that what you do on your own time is your own business. But ADA has apparently been taking his cues from the more active factions in the world and it is bleeding into the locker room.

This includes going out of his way to make comments that he doesn’t think there’s a big racial problem in the nation, recent events being fake news, etc.

That might not be a huge issue, save for the fact that he’s the one who keeps mentioning. Requests to get him to knock it off have not gone well. The leadership of this team, namely Trouba has taken him aside and told him to leave that stuff at the door and not let it become a distraction.

The other night, he went after Georgiev, got in his face, pinned him to the wall and then tried to choke him. Trouba and Miller stepped into separate them, and then ADA turned on them. Trouba basically bear hugged him and dragged him into the locker room by his jersey. What happened behind closed doors is unknown to me at this time. ADA also told "Miller to go f*** himself" among some other choice comments.

The other night was the final straw with someone who many believe cannot separate the politics and hit button issues from the locker room, views himself as having “made it”, and has really just not done a good job of controlling himself or conducting himself in a proper manner.

Now that it is leading to physical confrontations, the Rangers are basically done with him.

So NOW you know most of what I do.
This is my first time reading this post...

Sweet baby Jesus the guy was everything most of us thought he was and more!

Jacob Trouba is an American hero.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
So it looks like we’re at a place where the Rangers press conf yesterday was the gospel but we also have questions their ability to assess a locker room Situation, specifically punishing Tony and whether Georgie is the one who actually did the crime.

What a time. This has played out so predictably hilarious on this board, in so many directions

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
The "evidence" he cited was video of Deangelo collecting the puck. With nothing else beyond anonymous sources. Very irresponsible to put those dots out there and ask for readers to connect them. There's more ethical reporting on Facebook.
Collecting the first goal puck of a player is something of an honor in and of itself. Colin Blackwell went and got the puck on Lafreniere’s first goal before he went over and congratulated him. MSG often shows a video of the player picking up the puck. Some good natured kidding? Sure. Stealing the puck? A capital offense.

Reactions: Trxjw

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Anecdotally, over my life, when there is structure and good leadership in place, the morale and team work well.

When there is no structure and there's poor leadership, it breeds confusion and anxiety. That eventually leads to anger, resentment and distrust.

I still think this team needs a shakeup. I dont think ADA was the root of the problem, yet a symptom that was easily recognizable.

We need a new coach/leader IMO. One that the team respects and trusts.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Confirmation bias.

you really can tell who's being objective and who's driven by their 'narrative'.

If you brush off every legitimate news outlet saying one thing, while blindly believing a fan blog claiming the opposite, you aren't looking for the truth. You're just looking for YOUR truth

DeAngelo was given a final warning not too long ago. This is the difference

shnagle

Apr 27, 2003
NYC
Visit site
Of course. But is sniping an offense that merits suspend and trade? I don't think so.
I kind of view that incident as the "last straw". Based on reports it seems that the coach, management and most importantly his own teammates have warned him to get his act together. When you don't even respond to your leadership group in the room than unfortunately I think the answer has to be yes. Do I wish things went differently? Absolutely.

Reactions: HatTrick Swayze
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad