Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part LXXVII - Holding a Lead for Dummies (Info in OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TominNC

Jul 17, 2017
Charlotte, NC
Don't care how you feel about TDA, but Georgiev needs to get gone next.

If sticks and stones applies to TDA, then it applies to the goalie as well.

Truth be told, he absolutely should have stopped that puck.
Big difference between Tony using his last straw and Georgiev, as far as we know, with his first offense. I would expect that he was spoken to and told not to resort to physical altercations.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Bottom line is if this was one incident then DeAngelo wouldn't have been put on waivers and the team wouldn't be done with him. If it was one "he got in an altercation with his teammate" they would have dealt with it in the room and smoothed things over. DeAngelo isn't gone because Georgiev swung at him and he retaliated. He's not being punished for something Georgiev did. There's been ongoing issues and he was specifically warned by Gorton to stop it and stay clean and he didn't.

Again if DeAngelo was just a regular ol' player with no history and no ongoing issues with the team and management then this whole thing wouldn't have happened this way. He's gone because of ongoing issues of which this incident was just the latest.

e: from what we've been told management and the coaches have also been trying to work with DeAngelo on this kind of stuff for his tenure here, they've been trying to help him and "train him" so to speak, but someone has to want to be helped and DeAngelo clearly hasn't wanted that

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
When there are reports that Tony started it physically:
"So what? Teammates get in fights all the time. Sometimes it's even a bonding experience. Why should he lose his job over that?"

When there are reports that Georgiev struck first:
"So why isn't Georgiev losing his job???"

It's hilarious.
When there are reports that Tony started it physically:
MAKES SENSE, plus it's typical for him because he's a racist!

When there are reports that Georgiev struck first:
So what? Tony said a bad word to him and hurt his feelings after having a horrendous game!

See how that works?

Reactions: Kakko Schmakko

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
Two thoughts.

1. (My thought) Tony is super active on social media and he has no doubt read that Fox and Trouba are the future of the team on the right side and Lundqvist (and Schneider) are both coming. He knew he didn't figure in the long term plans of the team. @Avery16 is right...his value was trade value and it is now diminished (we think)

2. (Dave Maloney's thought on radio broadcast last night) If Ryan Lindgren was a higher profile player, he would be a great captain for this team. The Rangers need a younger captain.

Probably some ire about being putatively moved up to the first pair, which he may have seen as offsetting your point #1, but then being demoted immediately back down to third pair before even getting a chance.

TominNC

Jul 17, 2017
Charlotte, NC
I still do not see a reason for laying hands on someone.

ADA had the waiver coming, to say he had a blocker to head coming is where you lose me. Physical altercations with someone you have a disagreement with is childish.
As childish as giving shit to your goalie after losing a game? Come on, hockey is a game where fighting is ALLOWED. These guys are brought up to only take so much. I'm sure Georgiev was given a talking to

NYRFANMANI

Department of Rempe Safety Management
Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon
it is like an angry dog instead of getting proper training the owner just decided to shorten the leash.

No.

It's like an untrained dog, that got his leash shortened, lashed out once to often and is now going to be brought back to the shelter.

We shouldn't talk about the possibility, that the dog was partially trained by a fraud though.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
You're not moving him cause he cost a game, your moving him because he got physical with a player that was giving him a hard time about being a sive

There was almost certainly tension between ADA and Georgiev before this episode. And I doubt that tension existed because of anything Georgiev has done.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
31 Thoughts: Why Sabres-Islanders postponement is cause for concern - Sportsnet.ca

3. The Rangers have made it clear they will eat salary to facilitate a Tony DeAngelo trade. GM Jeff Gorton provided clarity on why DeAngelo was cut: The organization felt DeAngelo “wasn’t able to move on” from his early-season benching and warned him one more incident would be the end of his tenure. That came Saturday night, after the 5–4 overtime loss to Pittsburgh. DeAngelo delivered a sarcastic, cutting comment to Alexandar Georgiev in the aftermath of that defeat. The goalie clocked DeAngelo before the two were separated, and the decision to put him on waivers was made that night.

New York will try to trade him, but it’s not going to be easy. Any acquiring team knows there will be heat. Gorton indicated the Rangers currently are not pursuing a termination of DeAngelo’s contract, and it appears unlikely they’d be able to do it unless the player agreed, for whatever reason. Since he does not turn 26 until October, he can be bought out for one-third of the $5.3-million salary on his contract for 2021–22.

DutchShamrock

Nov 22, 2005
New Jersey
12 Years ago this happened.

“I just want to comment on how it's become like a common thing in the NHL for guys to fall in love with my sloppy seconds."

I wonder what would happen if Sean Avery played in todays NHL? Social media is so much more prevalent these days. I would imagine there would be internet lynch mobs that react in the same fashion as the Herman followers after the article posted. Or would Herman post it all? Same political sides applying.
Honestly, it would be very interesting. He is outspoken and supportive of LGBT causes. This recent event made me think of that incident against the Isles with the homophobic slur and gesture, on TV, that resulted in I believe a 2 game suspension for Wisnewski. 8 games for one statement, 2 for another. Today, I imagine it's a reversal. With the other situation resulting in rehab and a defacto season long suspension. I don't know if we could accurately predict how Avery would far today.

Reactions: Lion Hound

DialUp

Big Bauds
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2012
NYC
Honestly, it would be very interesting. He is outspoken and supportive of LGBT causes. This recent event made me think of that incident against the Isles with the homophobic slur and gesture, on TV, that resulted in I believe a 2 game suspension for Wisnewski. 8 games for one statement, 2 for another. Today, I imagine it's a reversal. With the other situation resulting in rehab and a defacto season long suspension. I don't know if we could accurately predict how Avery would far today.
Back then Avery or today Avery? Today Avery...I don't know. Strikes as a MAGA, considering some of his socials content. Could be wrong.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Seems almost like it'd be better asset management to sit on ADA and buy him out at season's end rather than trade him at half salary, unless we could actually get something of value for him.

2.6 mil next year is worse than 800k for the two following years

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Seems almost like it'd be better asset management to sit on ADA and buy him out at season's end rather than trade him at half salary, unless we could actually get something of value for him.

2.6 mil next year is worse than 800k for the two following years

I'm pretty confident they'll only move him for something they feel is valuable. Whether the fans feel that is valuable is another story all together. If they can't get something worthwhile, they'll probably just send him home for the year assuming the NHLPA doesn't throw a tantrum about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad