Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part LXXIX - Clever Title

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Chicago won 3 cups by basically picking up middle-six centers off the scrap heap. The Rangers are poised to have similar depth on the wings and on the blueline without having to really do any over projection on the kids in the group. Getting another center would be great but it's far from a necessity.

The biggest question mark involving the center position is whether or not the org wants to commit to Zibanejad long term.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Yes because of Darren Dreger haphazardly tossing the Rangers in with Colorado as a possible destination should PIT consider moving him after this season.
It’s not even logical. Maybe he’s just listing every big market team?? Assets alone that it would cost to get him could be used on a younger viable core center. Just another popcorn fart headline.

Reactions: DutchShamrock

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
It’s not even logical. Maybe he’s just listing every big market team?? Assets alone that it would cost to get him could be used on a younger viable core center. Just another popcorn fart headline.
Yep. Might as well save that level of package for a younger center such as Eichel

Unless PIT was retaining some money and we only had to give up DeAngelo, Kravtsov, and a Protected 1st, then it doesnt makes sense. Anything more and it just starts to feel like a package you would build for an Eichel.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Chicago won 3 cups by basically picking up middle-six centers off the scrap heap. The Rangers are poised to have similar depth on the wings and on the blueline without having to really do any over projection on the kids in the group. Getting another center would be great but it's far from a necessity.

The biggest question mark involving the center position is whether or not the org wants to commit to Zibanejad long term.
The way I see it is they only have 2 courses of Action
1 Pony up assets for a big gun Eichel/ Barkov with Zibby most likely included in the package going the other way.
2 draft a center and pray that he’s ready in 2 years.

otherwise they are going to wind up trading for guys like Handzus, Richards, anisimov etc like Chicago did. It just really pisses me off that the Tampa trade brought back howden instead of Cirelli. They would be in a much more comfortable position with him and Chytil as 2 and 3. I really think that we might see a blockbuster at the end of the season, perhaps at the entry draft.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.

All of that anchored by a really, really good two way center with very little in the way of injury history.

The Rangers might be ok with Zib and Chytil and scraps otherwise but it’s very risky.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
The way I see it is they only have 2 courses of Action
1 Pony up assets for a big gun Eichel/ Barkov with Zibby most likely included in the package going the other way.
2 draft a center and pray that he’s ready in 2 years.

otherwise they are going to wind up trading for guys like Handzus, Richards, anisimov etc like Chicago did. It just really pisses me off that the Tampa trade brought back howden instead of Cirelli. They would be in a much more comfortable position with him and Chytil as 2 and 3. I really think that we might see a blockbuster at the end of the season, perhaps at the entry draft.

I think it'd look like this: Multiple pieces for Eichel and then a follow up deal to move Zib and recoup some of those pieces. If they could get Eichel this summer, then maybe they can send Zib to a team like Vegas who really wants to win but is sort of meh down the middle. Krebs or Glass as a centerpiece, for example.

If you have guys like Laf, Kakko, and Panarin carrying lines and Kreider, Buch, and Kravtsov filling in the other side, you could certainly get by with guys like Handzus. It really comes down to timing. Getting the most out of those bargain bin guys during a run as opposed to early on in the year and then they tank.

I mean the Lightning traded Howden because of how much they liked Cirelli. Funnily enough some of us brought up Cirelli as a potential get in that deal leading up to the deadline and he was panned pretty hard. Raddysh and Katchouk were the sexier forward prospects being discussed and neither has hit that next level yet.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
All of that anchored by a really, really good two way center with very little in the way of injury history.

The Rangers might be ok with Zib and Chytil and scraps otherwise but it’s very risky.

Zib at his best is a better offensive talent than Toews. Does he have the defensive game? No. Can he step up like Toews in the post season? Remains to be seen. The big question with him is whether or not he can stay healthy.

Before the injury, Chytil looked like he was taking a huge step forward and was on his way to a potential breakout season. So I still have a lot of hope there.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
Arizona fired Steve Sullivan from his AGM spot, didn’t they just hire him last year?
He’s been in Arizona for several years and had been promoted a couple of times to be Chayka’s right hand. He was considered for the GM job. I think it was just a case of the new guy wanting his team. Nice man, good hockey guy.

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise

It’s funny, there was a perception that Lindgren was a borderline prospect and Hajek was a better one.

I never saw it that way based on their draft positions and progress to that point, and I can’t say I ever heard anyone in the organization express that view either.

It feels like it’s one of those narratives that started somewhere and no one really knows how it started or why.

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013
Definitely concerned about Mika. A slow start doesn’t do it justice, but at least he looked a little better. He’s been really unlucky, but there’s more to it.

Not to speculate, but I guess I will. Mika has had such an alarming drop-off in all areas of his game that I have to think there might be some lingering effects of COVID.

Across the board, he’s had such a noticeable drop-off. His puck luck hasn’t been great, yes, but, even so, his shot seems off, his face offs are rough(er), his defense looks off—and this is all with similar ice-time and deployment as last year.

AlaBlueShirt

Mar 14, 2018
Lindgren goes under the radar that’s for sure. I think he has been the captain for couple of his former teams so wouldn’t be surprised if he gets the A somewhere in the near future.

Mika looks like he has been having time of his life during this break in Sweden. Covid is prolly one of the reasons but it was a mild case. He’s a great player and has a nice skillset but his injury list is a long and to be honest kinda scary. Would let him go.

Reactions: Cmox and Rongomania

Kocur Dill

picklicious
Feb 7, 2010
It’s funny, there was a perception that Lindgren was a borderline prospect and Hajek was a better one.

I never saw it that way based on their draft positions and progress to that point, and I can’t say I ever heard anyone in the organization express that view either.

It feels like it’s one of those narratives that started somewhere and no one really knows how it started or why.

He had a very excellent WJC the year we traded for him. Just seemed to be in the right place at the right time through out the games I watched and just enough -smart bite- to his game to be effective and stay out of the box. When it was being broke Nash was on his way to Boston I was praying, considering some of the sexier names being mentioned on these boards, that Gorton was secretly weasling Lindgren into the deal.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
I've seen numerous situations where Lindgren has been Fox-like patient with the puck.

In addition to playing a stiff game, he's developing a very smart and complimentary style to a Fox or what may end up being a great partner for Nils when he comes over.

If you're looking for a partner for a rookie that will actually help in the kids development, I think you look no further than Ryan L.

Regarding center options, anyone worth acquiring is gonna cost.

So, a package containing the following:

a top 5 protected 1st in 21 or 22

One of Nils or Robertson

Buch

A sweetener of Gauthier or Lemieux

Thats a hell of a package, and one I may only consider for a Draisaitl, Barkov or an Eichel and Leon is and will be cheaper over the next 5 years.

Other than those three players, I see no one else worth parting with a significant package for.

Rather load up on the wings than waste resources in assets and or money on lesser players.

NYblades

Mar 9, 2004
Yep. Might as well save that level of package for a younger center such as Eichel

Unless PIT was retaining some money and we only had to give up DeAngelo, Kravtsov, and a Protected 1st, then it doesnt makes sense. Anything more and it just starts to feel like a package you would build for an Eichel.

Agreed, rather go all in for a trade on a younger center like Eichel.

Reactions: Rongomania

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
The Strome hate is pretty unwarranted. Considering how he was acquired, who he was acquired for and what his expectations were when he arrived, he has exceeded those expectations. Unfortunately, the goalposts have been moved to an extent that the current expectations of him are unrealistic.
The Strome trade was a win. He was never advertised as a 1C. We have nobody in the system that could replace his production right now.

yea I mean where are they gonna get a 2nd line C ? I look at rosters and it’s not easy to find one that may appear available

ideally Chytil would take the spot but he’s hurt

other option is good prospects for a good C prospect

MarkMessyay11

Jan 12, 2015
NJ
Wonder what the ask would be without DeAngelo. Drama aside, Tony D is an overpayment for Bennett. So I wouldn't expect them to ask for a similarly valued player without the drama.

I know Buch was previously mentioned in trade talks, but no way it's an even swap with how well Buch has played this year and I can't see a Buch + later pick for Bennett + earlier pick type deal...don't think Gorton is interested in obtaining more draft picks over someone that will improve them right now.

I also think the emergence of Miller and Lindgren has lessened the desire to trade for someone like Hanifin. Unless Calgary would include one of Lindholm or Monahan, I don't see a bigger deal with Buch happening. Maybe something around Hajek or Gauthier and a pick for Bennett...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad