Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part LXXIX - Clever Title

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
But there was always this perception by fans that Hajek was the higher upside guy, and really there wasn't anything that painted vastly different picture between players other than it seemed more eyes were focused on the Tampa deal.

And there was a whole load of who-ah about how Hajek was the piece in the deal that NYR really coveted.

Reactions: Barnaby

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
I think his appeal around here is the sandpaper and grit style game he plays. We don't have enough of that at the forward position.

Anyone expecting him to slot in at 2C and miraculously become a 50-60 point player is setting themselves up for huge disappointment. Honestly, anyone expecting him to come in and miraculously be a center on any line is setting themselves up for disappointment. He's primarily played wing since 2017-18.

Yea, I mean, I’d pay a low price for him.

Some people act like this is the ROR redux.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I'm reserving judgement until the 20 game mark or so. But so far I would say that there have been 4 losses due to a wrong mistake at the wrong time. The games have been very tight. To me a bigger question is around the quality of competition. There are a lot of good teams in the East. A lot of them. They made the Rangers pay, but all in all I can't say I'm disappointed in the team.

They aren't good enough to win unless every guy shows up and does what they are supposed to do for a full 60. I thought that you are still seeing tendencies that are repetitive out there, and a lot of perimeter passing that doesn't always result in a perfect play. I can't say that most nights are effortless or filled with a ton of mistakes. You have teams like the Isles, Pit, and Bos that don't mind playing a more grinding game. I still think the Rangers are learning how to win those games.

1. I love the team structure that we're seeing
2. I'm very happy with our defensive core especially the top-4 (I want Reunanen to force his way onto the 3rd pair soon and have Smith come back from injury to take 3RD)
3. Our bottom line forwards are so much better too. Rooney, PDG, Howden, Lemieux & Gauthier are all good options. I actually wanted to hate on Lemieux but his game is much improved from last season
4. Kakko is about to break out. Chytil would be right there too if not for the unfortunate injury. Lafreniere is coming along nicely
5. Buch is in his prime
6. My only serious disappointment so far is Kreider. I see some folk already reverted back to blaming Buch for not converting but ignore the fact that offensive plays has been dying completely when puck is around Kreider.

Conclusion: this is definitely a playoff level team if don't get hit by injuries to our top forwards or Shesterkin.

Reactions: TheBPA and Barnaby

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
I like Bennett, would be ok/happy adding him for DeAngelo who is basically worth nothing to the NYR at this point.

But on a stand alone basis he is at 3rd round pick / Howden /Gauthier level value.

I feel like he’s the wing version of Brian Boyle who the Rangers picked up for a 3rd. First round pick, good team guy, disappointing production, has playing issues to be addressed, levels out as a very nice 4th liner, who puts together a good playoff resume.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
I feel like he’s the wing version of Brian Boyle who the Rangers picked up for a 3rd. First round pick, good team guy, disappointing production, has playing issues to be addressed, levels out as a very nice 4th liner, who puts together a good playoff resume.

Because everyone is frustrated and losing somehow will hurt less if we have a guy out there who punched someone in the face during the loss

Reactions: Raspewtin

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Bennett's a solid role player and he might have some rebound potential. Nobody is betting on him to be a Zibanejad replacement or anything like that. Though I do think people forget how young he is.. He's only 7 months older than Jack Roslovic. So it's not as if he's some 30-something vet who almost certainly won't improve.

SRHRangers

Aug 18, 2020
All due respect, I don’t think that package gets you anywhere near any of those players, especially Drai. That’s not a package for a franchise center.

You don’t land a young top 5 franchise center whose locked up long term for a good winger who needs a contract, a lottery protected likely mid 1st rounder, a B prospect, and a very replaceable 4th line winger. I mean, you mentioned Gauthier as a sweetener for Drai or Eichel. Does Gauthier move the needle at all in that type of deal?

If we traded Zib for that we’d lose our minds. Eichel, Drai, and Barkov are easily more valuable at this point when you figure in talent, age, injuries, and contract. You don’t make a trade for one of those guys without it hurting badly.

I agree with everything you said except Lundkvist being a B prospect.

He's in the B+/A- area.

Reactions: Barnaby

BobMarleyNYR

Rangers future on D
May 2, 2004
Alphabet
2. I'm very happy with our defensive core especially the top-4 (I want Reunanen to force his way onto the 3rd pair soon and have Smith come back from injury to take 3RD)
3. Our bottom line forwards are so much better too. Rooney, PDG, Howden, Lemieux & Gauthier are all good options. I actually wanted to hate on Lemieux but his game is much improved from last season
4. Kakko is about to break out. Chytil would be right there too if not for the unfortunate injury. Lafreniere is coming along nicely
5. Buch is in his prime
6. My only serious disappointment so far is Kreider. I see some folk already reverted back to blaming Buch for not converting but ignore the fact that offensive plays has been dying completely when puck is around Kreider.

Conclusion: this is definitely a playoff level team if don't get hit by injuries to our top forwards or Shesterkin.
Not sure. I'd say we gave up McDonagh for nothing 2 years out. Except Lundkvist.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
5. Buch is in his prime

I don't think they are making the playoffs if they keep playing the way that they have been. Early season optimism aside, this isn't a very mature group, and one that still needs to be coaxed into playing in a manner where they can all be effective. But it is good to see a lot of the positives. The team still isn't greater than the sum of its parts, and that's not going to happen until the whole line-up shows up and does what they are supposed to do.

Given the level of competition, I have my doubts as far as the playoffs go, but the talent is there to be a contender some day, but that starts with the leadership group being better self motivators. Outside of game 2, I don't think I've seen all 4 lines, and all three pairs and the goalie be on for a whole night, but there has been good incremental progress from a number of different guys. Just not enough to string together a 4-5 game win streak. That's the only way playoffs come back into the picture for this team.

DutchShamrock

Nov 22, 2005
New Jersey
Dreger used to be fairly reliable but he seems to have gotten away from that.
That segment wasn't necessarily proof of unreliability. It was pure speculation and I think it was presented as such. It's just so lazy to keep going back to the well. Always the rangers involved. And Crosby? It's just a little too deep into the realm of fantasy. I don't think there is any link to reality to treat it as newsworthy.

TominNC

Jul 17, 2017
Charlotte, NC
There's so much room for growth with 3/4 of the season to play and 5 teams grouped together. No reason they can't be in it for that last spot until the end. Just look at this team and make some non-outrageous assumptions:

Chytil returns
Zibanejad scores some goals
Lafreniere scores some goals
Kakko scores some goals
Panarin gets healthy

That's it. Even if all else stays as it is.

SRHRangers

Aug 18, 2020
Realistically, I don't think this team makes the playoffs this season with the Covid divisons. Already given away too many points late/OT/shootout.

Also, I think the expectations were too high coming in because we overachieved last season.

I rather see the kids develop big-time, grab one more high pick, and have the buyout money come off the books and then really hit it next season.

Reactions: wafflepadsave

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY

Explains a lot...

Im not sure how much stock I’d put into this. It’s clear Mika and his line haven’t been going. Panarin has put up points but Strome has been hot garbage on a lot of nights. Howden is on the 3rd line with Chytil out. I haven’t really watched this team and felt like they’ve been playing well enough to score a lot more. There are positive take always from a lot of the younger guys though and I think they’ll come around.

I’d love to see them make the playoffs but I’m happy if they can just compete for it until the end.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site

Explains a lot...

I'll take it a step further since doesn't show who is taking the shots, especially 5v5... there's a big difference when it's Zibanejad or Bread versus Rooney or Blackwell taking those high danger shots. So volume alone isn't the full picture.

That's 1. 2. The Rangers splits of high, mid, and low danger attempts are off. The top converters last year of HD chances had splits of 20-24% high, 30% mid, 45% low. What that tells you once again is that this year's team likes to be in the perimeter. Also- Buchnevich and Panarin were among the top 20 5v5 players in the league last year when it came to converting those high danger chances. Both as playmakers and scorers.

Not to rub it in Buchie, but if you shot in OT... that would have added to this particular analysis for this year, he was one of the best last year. I'd say the top 25-30 on that stack get a lot of eye test love as well. Fox, McJesus, Drai, Mathews, McAvoy, Slavin, Hedman, Josi, Provarov.

Last edited:
Reactions: MarkMessyay11

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
That segment wasn't necessarily proof of unreliability. It was pure speculation and I think it was presented as such. It's just so lazy to keep going back to the well. Always the rangers involved. And Crosby? It's just a little too deep into the realm of fantasy. I don't think there is any link to reality to treat it as newsworthy.

What i mean is that he is doing less factual reporting and more speculation these days. Friedman has taken top spot in news now.

Reactions: DutchShamrock
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad